Post them when you get them here is PFF....

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-grades-all-32-teams#CIN

CINCINNATI BENGALS

R1 (5): WR Ja’Marr Chase, LSU
R2 (46): OT Jackson Carman, Clemson
R3 (69): EDGE Joseph Ossai, Texas
R4 (111): EDGE Cameron Sample, Tulane
R4 (122): DI Tyler Shelvin, LSU
R4 (139): T D'Ante Smith, East Carolina
R5 (149): K Evan McPherson, Florida
R6 (190): C Trey Hill, Georgia
R6 (202): RB Chris Evans, Michigan
R7 (235): EDGE Wyatt Hubert, Kansas State

Day 1: The Bengals bring in former LSU receiver Ja’Marr Chase, reuniting him with national championship-winning quarterback Joe Burrow. Chase dominated the 2019 season, posting a 91.1 PFF grade to go along with 20 touchdowns, all thrown by Burrow. Cincinnati passes on an offensive lineman to bolster a receiving corps that was lacking a contested-catch monster. They now have one.

Day 2: After reuniting Joe Burrow with Ja’Marr Chase in Round 1, the Bengals attack the offensive line as expected here. It remains to be seen whether Carman plays tackle or guard in Cincinnati, but he raises the talent level of the group regardless of where he lines up. Carman has an impressive combination of size and athleticism and was playing his best football toward the end of the 2020 season.

The Bengals lost Carl Lawson to the New York Jets earlier this offseason in free agency. They’ve since offset that loss by bringing in Trey Hendrickson in free agency and Ossai here. Ossai is an explosive athlete off the edge whose biggest strength, as listed in the PFF Draft Guide, is his motor. That motor and his athleticism form a winning combination off the edge. He should make an impact early as a rotational pass rusher.

Day 3: Cincinnati got great value with Cameron Sample, who we projected as a third-round pick. He blossomed as a pass-rusher in 2020 with a 90.4 grade in that facet, tying for fifth-best among all FBS edge rushers. He then proceeded to post the highest win rate of any defensive lineman in the one-on-one drills at the Senior Bowl. Sample is a nimble, versatile and powerful player who should’ve come off the board on Day 2.

Draft Grade: B

https://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades.php

Cincinnati Bengals Cincinnati Bengals: Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU - B Grade
The Bengals had a difficult decision between Ja'Marr Chase and Penei Sewell. They ultimately decided on the former, which I don't agree with, but don't hate either. Sewell would have been much better for them, especially when considering Joe Burrow's recent knee injury. That said, Chase is going to be a superstar receiver in Cincinnati for a very long time, and it's not like he and Burrow have to develop any sort of chemistry.

bengalsb_logo.gif Cincinnati Bengals: Jackson Carman, OT/G, Clemson - A+ Grade
I love this pick. Back in February, some league sources told us that Jackson Carman could sneak into the opening round. He obviously didn't, so the Bengals are getting awesome value with Carman, especially when considering that they traded down eight spots. They had to improve their offensive line to protect Joe Burrow, and they did just that with Carman.

bengalsb_logo.gif Cincinnati Bengals: Joseph Ossai, DE/OLB, Texas - B Grade
It was always going to be receiver/tackle, tackle/receiver and then edge rusher for the Bengals, who needed to replace Carl Lawson. Joseph Ossai is someone I've consistently mocked in the third round, so this pick makes sense. Ossai is a low-upside player, but he should be a solid contributor for Cincinnati.

bengalsb_logo.gif Cincinnati Bengals: Cameron Sample, DE, Tulane - B+ Grade
It's no surprise that the Bengals are adding another edge rusher, given the powerhouse offenses they have to battle in the AFC North. They have yet to beat Lamar Jackson, so obtaining another pass rusher was a must. Cameron Sample is someone I had in this range, so this seems like a solid pick.

bengalsb_logo.gif Cincinnati Bengals: Tyler Shelvin, NT, LSU - B+ Grade
I wonder if Joe Burrow demanded Tyler Shelvin as well. Shelvin is a monstrous nose tackle who can help stop the run. Remember, the Bengals haven't beaten Lamar Jackson yet, so this should help them stop Baltimore's rushing attack. This is the right range for Shelvin.

bengalsb_logo.gif Cincinnati Bengals: D'Ante Smith, OT East Carolina - A Grade
It's no surprise that the Bengals are drafting another offensive lineman so that Joe Burrow, coming off a knee injury, is as well protected as possible. I've had D'Ante Smith pegged around the third frame, so the Bengals seem to be getting strong value with D'Ante Smith.

bengalsb_logo.gif Cincinnati Bengals: Evan McPherson, K, Florida - C Grade
I hate kicker picks in the first three rounds, and I'm not a fan of them in the fourth frame. The fifth round is just OK, but know that kickers grow on trees. There's a tree outside my house, and there are four kickers growing on it right now

bengalsb_logo.gif Cincinnati Bengals: Trey Hill, C, Georgia - A+ Grade
I thought Trey Hill put himself in first-round consideration when he handled Derrick Brown well in a 2019 matchup. I eventually moved him to the third round because of some knee injury concerns. Apparently, teams were more worried, but this was the right time to take a chance on such a high-upside player.

bengalsb_logo.gif Cincinnati Bengals: Chris Evans, RB, Michigan - B- Grade
The Bengals lost Giovani Bernard this offseason, so it makes sense that they would find a running back at some point on Day 3. Chris Evans could become a solid complement for Joe Mixon. There were better running backs available, but this isn't a bad pick.

bengalsb_logo.gif Cincinnati Bengals: Wyatt Hubert, DE, Kansas State - B Grade
Wyatt Hubert didn't make my final mock, but he was slotted in the seventh round in a previous update. The Bengals are trying to load up their roster with as many pass rushers as possible to stop the dynamic offenses in the AFC North, so this pick makes sense to me.

One of the things I love most about this draft is the fact that everyone is so focused on the OL and DL picks, they’ve almost completely forgotten about the superstar we picked at 5. #Cincyproblems

Have a hard time seeing a B for Chase in the first and then an A+ for Carman in the second.

By any ones evaluation, Chase is one of the top three available non-QB prospect and it's a decent drop to #4.  Yes, you could make the argument that Sewell as an LT would be a better value than a top WR, but not with-standing Team Sewell's protestations the difference in value is not great (if at all).  If Sewell would've been an A+, Chase would be an A or A- at the very worst.

Then you go to Carman in the second for an A+.  I think a lot of people didn't have Carman at the top of the tackles that would be available in the 2nd round.  To me though, it's seems like Pollack & Co. took everything into consideration and not only felt he best fit what they wanted to do, but they could drop down in the round, pick up two extra premium picks and still have him sitting there..  This, IMO, took this draft from solid to out-standing.

I think when it comes to the first two rounds, you almost need to grade them in tandem.  I do not dispute the value of an LT and that Sewell would be the best fit there *and probably a damn good one HAD THEY BEEN LOOKING FOR AN LT IN 2021.

Just reading the tea leaves on my part, but I get the impression that the team was not sold on having a rookie guarding the edges on either of Geaux's flank.  I believe whoever the first OL picked was, they were ticketed for RG.  If that is the case, I think the gap between Sewell & Carman narrows (at least for 2021).  I think Carman is the tackle that they believe will best convert to RG while giving them versatility going forward.

I also have a rather large quibble about the way people are discounting Chase's value.  Ja'Marr is not some fungible reserve wideout.  He's an elite who steps into the open #1 WR slot and helps make the job's of Higgins, Boyd, Nixon, Burrows and even the OLine easier.  When you combine that with picking up a 2nd round OL (who grades out as an A) while maneuvering to add two #4's in the bargain.  I have to give the Chase/Carman 1/2 combo (plus Tyler Shelvin & D'Ante Smith) an A+.

One other angle.  Had Sewell been the pick at 5, would the receiver they zeroed in on in the 2nd be as close in quality to Chase as Carman would be to Sewell as a RG AND would they have been as comfortable making the same trade-down for the two picks that opened up the rest of the draft?

I'll never understand the yanks disgust for kickers. If you've ever watched Bullock and the like step up for a chip shot that will win you the game, only to see them miss, you'd perhaps treat them with less disdain. Let's quickly look at the most points scored by a player in their career. Oh they're all kickers. Points win games, soooo.

Mel Kiper ESPN - 11th best overall draft

Cincinnati Bengals: B

Top needs: OL, WR, TE

The Bengals were in a great spot with the No. 5 overall pick, because they have their quarterback of the future, unlike the teams that had the four picks in front of them. Joe Burrow is their guy. Would they go with Burrow's buddy Ja'Marr Chase, an elite receiver? Or maybe Penei Sewell, a tremendous linemen who could be the team's left tackle for the next 10 years? They also could have traded down to pick up more premium picks for a team trying to get one of the leftover top quarterbacks.

In the end, they went with Chase, the 2019 Biletnikoff Award winner who makes this offense must-see TV. He had 1,780 receiving yards and caught 20 touchdown passes from Burrow in 2019 before opting out of last season. Burrow now has Chase, Tee Higgins, Tyler Boyd and Joe Mixon as good -- and young -- playmakers around him, though the Bengals still need to upgrade at tight end. This is a group that can grow together and should terrify defensive coordinators.

On Day 2, Cincinnati traded down and took Trevor Lawrence's college left tackle Jackson Carman (46), who coach Zac Taylor will have compete for one of the starting guard spots. It was high for Carman on my board. He dealt with a back injury during the pre-draft process, and there were better linemen available. I even think D'Ante Smith (139) could be better in the long-term. The organization did well in the trade, though, adding pick Nos. 122 and 139 -- the pick that yielded Smith -- for moving down eight spots.

Edge rusher Joseph Ossai (69) adds to a young defensive end rotation that was boosted in free agency by the signing of Trey Hendrickson. Ossai is a speed rusher who never quits on plays, and he should get plenty of third-down snaps as a rookie. Cameron Sample (111) is a hulking defensive end who is totally different physically than Ossai. Could he move inside to tackle? Tyler Shelvin (122) is a massive two-down nose tackle, which makes me wonder about the future of D.J. Reader in Cincinnati. The Bengals got my top-ranked kicker Evan McPherson (149) and could have a steal in my third-ranked center Trey Hill (190).

I don't see how Chase fails in the NFL, barring injury, which means this long-term grade for this class could come down to whether Carman turns into a quality starter. It's no sure thing. Osaai and Sample are solid picks.

Cincinnati Bengals

Cincinnati Bengals

Draft picks

Day 1 grade: B+

Day 2 grade: B+

Day 3 grade: B

Analysis: The Bengals had a choice between a dominant left tackle in Penei Sewell and an outstanding receiver in Chase. They chose Chase despite the fact that their young quarterback, Joe Burrow, had his rookie season cut short by an injury suffered in the pocket. They hope selecting Carman will rectify the situation and allow Burrow and Chase to rekindle the connection that led them to a national title. I’ll be interested to see if other tackles available at No. 46 turn out to be better players. Ossai’s high character and athleticism make him a shrewd pick in the third round.

Getting Sample early in the fourth round should help the pass rush. Shelvin’s powerful base makes him a nice run-stuffer in the fourth round -- something the Bengals really needed, as well. I’m a Smith fan because of his length and consistent effort. McPherson was bound to be a fifth-round pick, and the team needed to upgrade that position, but selecting a kicker comes with its share of risk. Hill is a thick-bodied center who could take a veteran’s job if they don’t perform up to expectations. Evans was suspended for the 2019 season due to an academic issue and didn’t see much action in 2020, but he has the skills to be a steal in the sixth round.

Draft Grades really are in the eye of the beholder. Case and point:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/cincinnati-bengals-draft-grades-national-analysts-weigh-in-on-2021-nfl-draft-haul

Ranges from A- all the way down to C-. Like our message board, opinions about whether or not we did the right thing by taking Chase over Sewell seems to have had a large impact on the grade.

5 minutes ago, Griever said:

Draft Grades really are in the eye of the beholder. Case and point:

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/cincinnati-bengals-draft-grades-national-analysts-weigh-in-on-2021-nfl-draft-haul

Ranges from A- all the way down to C-. Like our message board, opinions about whether or not we did the right thing by taking Chase over Sewell seems to have had a large impact on the grade.

That's pretty much what I am seeing. Anyone who hates the draft hates it because they took Chase over Sewell. They don't even bother to actually look down the rest of the draft.

26 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

That's pretty much what I am seeing. Anyone who hates the draft hates it because they took Chase over Sewell. They don't even bother to actually look down the rest of the draft.

i was 50/50 on Chase vs. Sewell, but I hated the Jackson Carmen pick. I thought there were better OL prospects available at our original 2nd round spot. Obviously most of my opinions were formed from about 10% tape and 90% thoughts from others so there’s that. I also didn’t love the Sample pick, but that one seems to be getting a lot of praise. 

2 minutes ago, WRAPradio said:

i was 50/50 on Chase vs. Sewell, but I hated the Jackson Carmen pick. I thought there were better OL prospects available at our original 2nd round spot. Obviously most of my opinions were formed from about 10% tape and 90% thoughts from others so there’s that. I also didn’t love the Sample pick, but that one seems to be getting a lot of praise. 

I would have stayed put and taken Jenkins myself. I know Willie Anderson thinks Carmen can play, and was the one training him.  I guess well see. What I know is we added alot of players on both lines so the competition level will go up, hopefully that shakes out some halfway decent lines on both sides.

Regardless of how these players eventually pan out, I think the second round trade down was a smart move given our overall lack of depth on the tea. And secondly, I will applaud the team for spending a lot of draft capital on the lineman. This needs to happen every year (perhaps not to this years extent). Between the OL and DL they make up a large portion of the weekly roster and in the case of the OL you simply don't see many good options in FA. 

So props to the draft room from my standpoint. I have always thought of the draft as 2 components - strategy and individual player selection.  For the trade with NE, the strategy was solid. Now we have to see if the players chosen make it solid as well. To me these are independent components. The strategy to focus on both OL and DL was also solid in my books. 

I was thinking this is what happened in the draft room:

Elizabeth: Grandpa, did not great grandpa always say the game is won in the trenches?

MB: You know what, little pumpkin, he did. 

MB: DUKE - make it so!

13 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Elizabeth: Grandpa, did not great grandpa always say the game is won in the trenches?

MB: You know what, little pumpkin, he did. 

MB: DUKE - make it so!

True, but then this morning the exchange was something like:

MB:  Pumpkin!!  I know I fell asleep after the 4th round, but who picked up all these "long-hairs" near the end!?  Dad's rolling in his grave!!

😛

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I would have stayed put and taken Jenkins myself. I know Willie Anderson thinks Carmen can play, and was the one training him.  I guess well see. What I know is we added alot of players on both lines so the competition level will go up, hopefully that shakes out some halfway decent lines on both sides.

That was my initial thought as well and I selected Jenkins in a bunch of mock drafts. However after thinking about it I don't know that Jenkins is a better option than Carman, and Smith and definitely prefer the trade down once you add Shelvin in.

The so called "experts" ripping our draft for not selecting the best LT prospects when what we need is interior depth and a future RT are absolutely clueless. For all we know Williams breaks down again and we end up with Smith and Carman as starting tackles in a year or 2. We don't have that possible flexibility if we just draft Sewell or Jenkins.

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

No disrespect intended to Willie but in the absence of an actual scouting department the recommendation of someone who is basically a client is the kind of endorsement we are left to rely on instead.

11 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

The only real consensus about the NFL draft is that it should be graded after 3 years. So go ahead and grade our 2018 draft class. 

OK, I give it a C+.   Seems we whiffed on Price unless Pollack can save him, but we got Bates in the 2nd and I'm not even sure that guy has hit his ceiling yet despite turning into a damned good safety already.  I think Hubbard is legit & would probably go higher in a re-draft.  The rest of the class are about as expected for later draft picks, some contributors and some not.  Overall not a bad draft but taking a center at #21 overall only to see him clinging to a back up spot by his fingernails 3 years later hurts an otherwise decent haul.

I give them an overall B+...

Wasnt sure about some prospects but after reading more about them this draft is a good one..

No Sewell but Carmin is a big n nasty lineman  who should start at RG..

I have high hopes for this group..

17 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Post them when you get them here is PFF....

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-nfl-draft-grades-all-32-teams#CIN

CINCINNATI BENGALS

R1 (5): WR Ja’Marr Chase, LSU
R2 (46): OT Jackson Carman, Clemson
R3 (69): EDGE Joseph Ossai, Texas
R4 (111): EDGE Cameron Sample, Tulane
R4 (122): DI Tyler Shelvin, LSU
R4 (139): T D'Ante Smith, East Carolina
R5 (149): K Evan McPherson, Florida
R6 (190): C Trey Hill, Georgia
R6 (202): RB Chris Evans, Michigan
R7 (235): EDGE Wyatt Hubert, Kansas State

Day 1: The Bengals bring in former LSU receiver Ja’Marr Chase, reuniting him with national championship-winning quarterback Joe Burrow. Chase dominated the 2019 season, posting a 91.1 PFF grade to go along with 20 touchdowns, all thrown by Burrow. Cincinnati passes on an offensive lineman to bolster a receiving corps that was lacking a contested-catch monster. They now have one.

Day 2: After reuniting Joe Burrow with Ja’Marr Chase in Round 1, the Bengals attack the offensive line as expected here. It remains to be seen whether Carman plays tackle or guard in Cincinnati, but he raises the talent level of the group regardless of where he lines up. Carman has an impressive combination of size and athleticism and was playing his best football toward the end of the 2020 season.

The Bengals lost Carl Lawson to the New York Jets earlier this offseason in free agency. They’ve since offset that loss by bringing in Trey Hendrickson in free agency and Ossai here. Ossai is an explosive athlete off the edge whose biggest strength, as listed in the PFF Draft Guide, is his motor. That motor and his athleticism form a winning combination off the edge. He should make an impact early as a rotational pass rusher.

Day 3: Cincinnati got great value with Cameron Sample, who we projected as a third-round pick. He blossomed as a pass-rusher in 2020 with a 90.4 grade in that facet, tying for fifth-best among all FBS edge rushers. He then proceeded to post the highest win rate of any defensive lineman in the one-on-one drills at the Senior Bowl. Sample is a nimble, versatile and powerful player who should’ve come off the board on Day 2.

Draft Grade: B

PFF gave Detroit an A- by comparison.

17 hours ago, Kochman said:

https://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades.php

Cincinnati Bengals Cincinnati Bengals: Ja'Marr Chase, WR, LSU - B Grade
The Bengals had a difficult decision between Ja'Marr Chase and Penei Sewell. They ultimately decided on the former, which I don't agree with, but don't hate either. Sewell would have been much better for them, especially when considering Joe Burrow's recent knee injury. That said, Chase is going to be a superstar receiver in Cincinnati for a very long time, and it's not like he and Burrow have to develop any sort of chemistry.

bengalsb_logo.gif Cincinnati Bengals: Jackson Carman, OT/G, Clemson - A+ Grade
I love this pick. Back in February, some league sources told us that Jackson Carman could sneak into the opening round. He obviously didn't, so the Bengals are getting awesome value with Carman, especially when considering that they traded down eight spots. They had to improve their offensive line to protect Joe Burrow, and they did just that with Carman.

bengalsb_logo.gif Cincinnati Bengals: Joseph Ossai, DE/OLB, Texas - B Grade
It was always going to be receiver/tackle, tackle/receiver and then edge rusher for the Bengals, who needed to replace Carl Lawson. Joseph Ossai is someone I've consistently mocked in the third round, so this pick makes sense. Ossai is a low-upside player, but he should be a solid contributor for Cincinnati.

bengalsb_logo.gif Cincinnati Bengals: Cameron Sample, DE, Tulane - B+ Grade
It's no surprise that the Bengals are adding another edge rusher, given the powerhouse offenses they have to battle in the AFC North. They have yet to beat Lamar Jackson, so obtaining another pass rusher was a must. Cameron Sample is someone I had in this range, so this seems like a solid pick.

bengalsb_logo.gif Cincinnati Bengals: Tyler Shelvin, NT, LSU - B+ Grade
I wonder if Joe Burrow demanded Tyler Shelvin as well. Shelvin is a monstrous nose tackle who can help stop the run. Remember, the Bengals haven't beaten Lamar Jackson yet, so this should help them stop Baltimore's rushing attack. This is the right range for Shelvin.

bengalsb_logo.gif Cincinnati Bengals: D'Ante Smith, OT East Carolina - A Grade
It's no surprise that the Bengals are drafting another offensive lineman so that Joe Burrow, coming off a knee injury, is as well protected as possible. I've had D'Ante Smith pegged around the third frame, so the Bengals seem to be getting strong value with D'Ante Smith.

bengalsb_logo.gif Cincinnati Bengals: Evan McPherson, K, Florida - C Grade
I hate kicker picks in the first three rounds, and I'm not a fan of them in the fourth frame. The fifth round is just OK, but know that kickers grow on trees. There's a tree outside my house, and there are four kickers growing on it right now

bengalsb_logo.gif Cincinnati Bengals: Trey Hill, C, Georgia - A+ Grade
I thought Trey Hill put himself in first-round consideration when he handled Derrick Brown well in a 2019 matchup. I eventually moved him to the third round because of some knee injury concerns. Apparently, teams were more worried, but this was the right time to take a chance on such a high-upside player.

bengalsb_logo.gif Cincinnati Bengals: Chris Evans, RB, Michigan - B- Grade
The Bengals lost Giovani Bernard this offseason, so it makes sense that they would find a running back at some point on Day 3. Chris Evans could become a solid complement for Joe Mixon. There were better running backs available, but this isn't a bad pick.

bengalsb_logo.gif Cincinnati Bengals: Wyatt Hubert, DE, Kansas State - B Grade
Wyatt Hubert didn't make my final mock, but he was slotted in the seventh round in a previous update. The Bengals are trying to load up their roster with as many pass rushers as possible to stop the dynamic offenses in the AFC North, so this pick makes sense to me.

Walter Football gave Detroit an A+ on their 1st round by comparison...

Although it appears on the surface that the grades for both teams are accurate, it will not matter one bit when the first coin flip of the season commences.

Regardless of my sympathy towards Sewell, we'll have a better season than Detroit.  Our overall draft was better than any one single pick.  

Whodey !!!  :tailgate:

6 hours ago, WRAPradio said:

I preferred Sewell, but Chase is a hell of a pick up.  People have their narrative about the Bengals and they were all prepared to crap all over them.  Everyone paying attention knew the Bengals were taking Chase.  I'm not happy with the Carmen pick.  Sure, he may heal up from back surgery just fine, keep the weight off, and earn a starting guard job.  Or, he may continue to have back issues, struggle with weight, and never live up to his potential.  Carmen was too risky for a  2nd round pick.  Should have taken someone more finished and ready to play.  Caremen is a boon or bust player.  I don't like that in the second round for an offensive line that still needs a lot of  help.  Hope the kid gets it done.

The rest of the draft addressed the issues the Bengals have.  We'll have to wait to see how well they chose. 

Archived