Draft grades are pretty much worthless, but I think the Bengals had a good weekend.  The big moves were taking Chase and trading with the Pats so time will tell if those decisions pan out.  Obviously they spent a bunch of picks on OL and DL and some of them will get a chance to contribute right away.  The only pick I questioned was the kicker but that’s probably just my bias from the last time we took one.

5 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Sure, he may heal up from back surgery just fine

For a top 2nd round pick that definitely bugs the shit out of me.   I really dont understand their fascination with spending millions of dollars to play at Florence Nightingale.   It's the NFL, there are no Good Boy Points to be earned here.

I was not a proponent of taking a WR in the first two (or even three) rounds but, I would have been much happier with the draft had the Bengals gone Sewell/Marshall. Even Chase/Jenkins would have been better. I think the Ossai and Shelvin picks are interesting. All told, I don't think this is going to be a draft you look on in three years and are super thrilled. Hopefully the Bengals have done enough to improve the line and Chase can come out of the blocks as advertised.  They at least focused (maybe in the wrong order for me) on the key areas of need going in to the draft.

13 hours ago, T-Dub said:

For a top 2nd round pick that definitely bugs the shit out of me.   I really dont understand their fascination with spending millions of dollars to play at Florence Nightingale.   It's the NFL, there are no Good Boy Points to be earned here.

Agreed. For the love of God, can we PLEASE quit taking OL in the early rounds that come in with injury issues?? This goes back to Ogbuehi in 2015.

33 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

Agreed. For the love of God, can we PLEASE quit taking OL in the early rounds that come in with injury issues?? This goes back to Ogbuehi in 2015.

Ketchup Whisperer talked to Ol' Musty about it and they agreed that tapioca is the best pudding flavor and also draft this kid LOL why not

Not joking, see the SI article in the Carman thread.  TW: nausea. 

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

Ketchup Whisperer talked to Ol' Musty about it and they agreed that tapioca is the best pudding flavor and also draft this kid LOL why not

Eeyore GIF by memecandy

Yet another year, another few projects.

We always have a high first rounder. More Andre Smiths and John Rosses than ummm, Carson Palmers?

Some OT prospects in the mid rounds, with the notable improvement of Pollack to develop them.

The obligatory DT who will wither be a super star or eat his way out of the league.

The gaggle of edge guys looking for Frostee Fanene Lawson Hubbard v5.0.

Last year was a complete and total sh*t show, and Zac Taylor still hasn't sold me on his ability to run a mall kiosk - much less an NFL team. We've had first round picks for 40 years and managed to suck. I'll hold off anointing these guys all-pros until we break the trend.

27 minutes ago, Griever said:

People should read this. I made the same argument as to having 3, 1st Round tackles.

2 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

People should read this. I made the same argument as to having 3, 1st Round tackles.

Fair point.  Honestly, the home run for the Bengals was to get Chase in the first round and a day 1 starter on the OL in the second round.  The more conservative play would be to take Sewell, who is more likely to be a day 1 starter than anyone in the second round, and try to upgrade at WR in the second round.  I preferred the conservative route.  Hope they hit the home run.

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

Fair point.  Honestly, the home run for the Bengals was to get Chase in the first round and a day 1 starter on the OL in the second round.  The more conservative play would be to take Sewell, who is more likely to be a day 1 starter than anyone in the second round, and try to upgrade at WR in the second round.  I preferred the conservative route.  Hope they hit the home run.

As the article says the Carman pick will be the defining factor of this draft in a few years. Hope the kid works out.

3 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Yep. Full disclosure I was actually Team Sewell but I'm good with the Chase pick. I can definitely see the upside to Chase. Was a little surprised to see the author of the article mentioned the lack of a TE as something they did wrong. I don't think Moss will be some pro bowl TE, but we did pick him up from WFT before the draft. It isnt like we were just crossing our fingers that Uzomah comes back healthy and Sample continues to improve.

12 minutes ago, Griever said:

Yep. Full disclosure I was actually Team Sewell but I'm good with the Chase pick. I can definitely see the upside to Chase. Was a little surprised to see the author of the article mentioned the lack of a TE as something they did wrong. I don't think Moss will be some pro bowl TE, but we did pick him up from WFT before the draft. It isnt like we were just crossing our fingers that Uzomah comes back healthy and Sample continues to improve.

I leaned team Chase but thought the Bengals were going to take Sewell as the "safe pick", mostly I was take the best player and maximize your draft options. I learned a few years ago don't fall in love with any one player when I fell in love with the idea of drafting Nick Fairley, because I thought he would be the next Warren Sapp, only to watch him go on to have a average career. The best thing you can do in the draft is maximize the potential.

23 hours ago, T-Dub said:

I did read that article. I hope that this kid can be all that and a bag of chips. I wanted Sewell but I'm not going to bash the Chase pick. 

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

To be perfectly honest with you, the three 1st Round OT "argument" holds no water. Riley Reiff was drafted nine years ago and not by us. Not to mention he's 32 and on a one year contract. Also, I'd gladly have five 1st Round draft picks on the offensive line.

I can live with the Chase pick and what I feel was a very humdrum draft but using thought processes like this as a justification simply doesn't add up.

5 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

To be perfectly honest with you, the three 1st Round OT "argument" holds no water. Riley Reiff was drafted nine years ago and not by us. Not to mention he's 32 and on a one year contract. Also, I'd gladly have five 1st Round draft picks on the offensive line.

I can live with the Chase pick and what I feel was a very humdrum draft but using thought processes like this as a justification simply doesn't add up.

I'd have 5 first round picks on the Oline as well if they all played different positions.

2 hours ago, Griever said:

I started talking about the need for an improvement at TE after about the first month of last season. Joe Burrow is much more of an inline passer than he is a big sideline dime dropper. I personally think a bonafide receiving threat at TE could help him far more than a lot of other upgrades. I honestly believe had he not been injured, the Bengals would have cut Uzomah this past offseason.

As for Moss. the guy isn't a big pass catcher, is short for the position and isn't overly athletic. He is however a solid run blocker and will nicely fill Cethan Carter's spot on the roster. I don't however think he's solving any really larger issues at the position.

I think next offseason TE will be a much larger priority. I think the reality is there were so many holes to fill that there was only so many picks that they could me made.

5 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I'd have 5 first round picks on the Oline as well if they all played different positions.

But, who cares what round Riley Reiff was taken in? The Vikings selected him, not the Bengals. The round he was selected in means absolutely nothing to the process whatsoever.

1 minute ago, BengalFanInTO said:

But, who cares what round Riley Reiff was taken in? The Vikings selected him, not the Bengals. The round he was selected in means absolutely nothing to the process whatsoever.

I'm not sure the drafting team is relevant?

Archived