With the 2021 NFL draft in the books and the new year effectively started, now is a good time to step back and look at 2022 NFL draft compensatory picks for the Cincinnati Bengals.

Nick Korte at Over the Cap has the Bengals projected to get at least one extra fourth-round pick for the departure of either William Jackson or Carl Lawson.

One, but maybe not both because the Bengals straddle the line of qualification — and it could come down to John Ross in New York:

“If Ross can’t get on the field, that’s bad news for the Bengals, who need him to be a CFA in order to positive in the net number of CFAs lost. If Ross isn’t a CFA, that would be devastating for Cincinnati, who could lose a 4th or 3rd round comp pick for the departure of one of either William Jackson III or Carl Lawson.”

So, some bad news — but also some good news. If Lawson or Jackson exceeds a certain snap threshold with their new teams, the fourth-round pick could be escalated to a third-round pick. Not bad considering there are only two third-round comp picks projected leaguewide right now.

In other words, Ross, Jackson and Lawson will be quite interesting to watch on their new teams next year for a few different reasnos.

7 hours ago, SmoothD said:

Honestly, Ross was never the same after Marv benched him because of that fumble.

He played on eggshells after that.

Same thing can be said for Jeremy Hill.

What?  It was the first time he EVER touched the ball in the pros.  Never the same?  Did he have a secret career on an NFL team I am not aware of?  He played poorly because he couldn’t learn how to run proper NFL routes. Oh, and sucked at catching the football.  And he was always hurt. 

13 minutes ago, SF2 said:

What?  It was the first time he EVER touched the ball in the pros.  Never the same?  Did he have a secret career on an NFL team I am not aware of?  He played poorly because he couldn’t learn how to run proper NFL routes. Oh, and sucked at catching the football.  And he was always hurt. 

He had one good game.

I think it was against Seattle.

The two TD game.

He dropped a wheel route pass the would have been a TD.

Andy goes right back to him the very next play where he out leaps two DBs and scores.

He could catch but he was very inconsistent.

And he was hurt quite a bit.

Marv also healthy scratch him ALOT

9 hours ago, SmoothD said:

He had one good game.

Marv also healthy scratch him ALOT

And the fact is if the guy could really play he wouldn’t have been a healthy scratch.  The idea Lewis or any head coach in the NFL would scratch him due to spite is a ridiculous notion.   You really never heard anyone come to his defense either.  

It’s like when the Cardinals drafted Josh Rosen 10th overall then traded him to Miami the next year for Kyler Murray.  Nobody on the Cardinals said anything.  He was simply that bad on the field and practice field. 

17 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Am I missing something?  Didn’t we sign Hendrickson to replace Lawson and wouldn’t that count against us in the comp formula?  

That was my assumption as well.

The formula is complicated. Basically we are gonna lose more than we signed which gets us to a comp pick. A fourth but could be as high as a third if John Ross does something. So, basically, a fourth.

if you want details on the formula...

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks/

Archived