Biggest Surprise/Biggest Bust

Now that the post draft euphoria/back slapping has mostly ended, isn't it time to look at the 2021 class more seriously? If even half of the rookies become quality starters or backup/situational players this draft will be considered a huge success. Of course, that means the other half are busts and the witch hunt will begin (How could they draft X  when they could have drafted Y 2 picks later? Bengals scouting  sucks. OK, last part is true). Anyways, here goes.

Biggest surprise- Hubert, he flies around like a maniac and would bring some much needed energy to the D

Biggest bust- Shelvin, if he drops 15-20 pounds he could be a force. I just don't think he will plus I don't think NFL olinemen will be as impressed as college linemen with someone that big.

2 hours ago, gupps said:

Now that the post draft euphoria/back slapping has mostly ended, isn't it time to look at the 2021 class more seriously? If even half of the rookies become quality starters or backup/situational players this draft will be considered a huge success. Of course, that means the other half are busts and the witch hunt will begin (How could they draft X  when they could have drafted Y 2 picks later? Bengals scouting  sucks. OK, last part is true). Anyways, here goes.

Biggest surprise- Hubert, he flies around like a maniac and would bring some much needed energy to the D

Biggest bust- Shelvin, if he drops 15-20 pounds he could be a force. I just don't think he will plus I don't think NFL olinemen will be as impressed as college linemen with someone that big.

If half the picks worked out that would be a considerable improvement for this scouting staff

I think a guy with possibly a high potential to be a bust is D'Ante Smith.

Looks like he has the right framework to be a prototypical ORT but he has to

add some meat to it and develop all the stuff that goes with the position.

Right now, I would say he is a project with po-ten-tial and we know how that

usually works out for us.

Another thought I have is that our practice squad is going to be raided heavily

and often before and during the season.  Like, we have so many D linemen right

now that they all can't make the 53.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

I think a guy with possibly a high potential to be a bust is D'Ante Smith.

Looks like he has the right framework to be a prototypical ORT but he has to

add some meat to it and develop all the stuff that goes with the position.

Right now, I would say he is a project with po-ten-tial and we know how that

usually works out for us.

Another thought I have is that our practice squad is going to be raided heavily

and often before and during the season.  Like, we have so many D linemen right

now that they all can't make the 53.

He's a late 4th round pick, those players aren't expected to be starters...not sure how he would be a bust. 

Most players that are considered bust are selected in the top 25-50 picks, not guys picked on the 3rd day of the draft.

ok so I disagree with the whole kicker adage in regards to when/where you're supposed to pick them. Reason being is that a kicker can determine who wins and loses in about a quarter to half of your games all year. This kicker is also a stud. Wish we kept Elliot from a few years back.  That kid had a leg.. I remember way back when Nugent was injured we signed a kickass kicker Josh Brown which I have NO idea why we would not keep him. I like Nugents accuracy, but he didn't have much of a leg. 

I am very OK with taking McPherson and where they took him.

We needed a kicker hopefully long term and this guy was the best

in the draft.  Someone was going to take him.  Read somewhere the

quote that if they had not taken him in the 5th, he would now have been

there in the 6th.  A rare wise move.

9 hours ago, Gary said:

... I like Nugents accuracy,

Are you a stealers fan...or browns?  :ninja: 

I remember hearing the phrase “He Nuged it” whenever a kicker missed wide.  I don’t recall him being accurate at all...but I’m old and senile.  :liberalmedia:

I think this draft will net 3 immediate starters: Chase (WR1), Carman (RG), McPherson (K) and 3 guys who get lots of playing time early: ... Shelvin (NT) on goal line and 3rd and short, Ossai (DE) & Sample (DE) on 3rd and long. 

I think the goal is to add 25 lbs to Smith's frame and have him as the future starting RT. 35" inch arms are great clay to mold with.

I also think the team can mold Trey Hill's monstrous ass (literally) into a nice base at center with a year of NFL weight training. 

I don't see any obvious busts, but if I had to choose, I would say Evans, as I am not sure he will play that much barring injury. Though no such thing as a 6th Rd bust. 

I have no fear of Chase being a bust at all. The only thing that will stop him from reaching the Pro Bowl will be an injury to himself or another to Burrow. 

Archived