2021 Rookie Minicamp

• BlackJesus changed the title to 2021 Rookie Minicamp

Rookie Minicamp Quick Hits: Chase Likes Footing On and Off Field; RB Evans Catching On Fast; Ossai Continues To Inspire With New Number

May 14, 2021 at 04:06 PM

Hobson_Geoff

Geoff Hobson

Bengals.com Senior Writer

Ja'Marr Chase: No. 1's first day.

After his first Bengals practice Friday morning inside the confines of Paul Brown Stadium, first-round pick Ja'Marr Chase sounded comfortable operating around both his new hash marks and Cincinnati streets.

Chase, the LSU wide receiver who has yet to hook up with his old/new quarterback Joe Burrow, had to adjust to No. 3 quarterback Kyle Shurmur and former Syracuse quarterback Eric Dungey in a try-out role. Like most rookie minicamps, the passing game was off but Chase liked the feel as they lined him up in the slot a few times.

(Later Friday, Dungey signed and became the first Syracuse quarterback to be on the Bengals roster since Todd Philcox three decades ago.)

"The NFL hash marks are a lot tighter, so we have more space in the slot now. In college, we would be almost outside by the numbers, and that would make tighter space for the outside and the inside receivers. There's much more space now," Chase said via Zoom. "It's going to take time to get used to, but I actually like it. It feels like the field is way wider, bigger and I think that's actually better."

Chase has hopped on a scooter in The Banks and took in sights that surprised and pleased him.

"I like the little view they have so far. This is not what I thought Cincinnati was going to be, so I'm actually liking this so far. I'm pretty sure I will explore more this weekend and next weekend," Chase said. "I actually thought Cincinnati was going to be a bunch of land … I didn't realize we had so many buildings, tall buildings, hills, like trains. So much is down here you know, so I was actually surprised."

- Michigan running back Chris Evans did nothing to dispel his tag as a sixth-round steal. He smoothly caught the ball out of the backfield, away from his body, which is exactly what head coach Zac Taylor and offensive coordinator Brian Callahan saw at the Senior Bowl.

"Chris's trait that is different than a lot of other running backs in the league is his ability to catch the ball and he's a very natural route runner out of the backfield. He can split out," Taylor said. "Today you probably saw us moving him around a little bit to get a better feel for him in person. He did a nice job. He seems like he's smart. He understands it. He can retain information. It makes sense to him and then he went out there and made some nice catches."

Taylor observed how natural and easy running routes were for him on Friday and there may be a very good reason. Evans said the Bengals language isn't much different than what his college head coach used in Ann Arbor.

"We've been talking about it and we've been watching the recorded Zoom meetings from the past couple days and last week too," Evans said. "Just going over it and just watching it and just grasping it in. Most of the stuff is pretty much what I learned under coach (Jim) Harbaugh. Same terminology, same language—it's just some names are flipped and stuff like that but it's pretty much the same idea.

"Maybe 25 percent the same words. And then the rest is either the same concept or same pattern or whatever. But it's pretty much the same stuff. It's just knowing exactly what you've got to do and how you've got to do it."

https://www.bengals.com/news/rookie-minicamp-quick-hits-chase-likes-footing-on-and-off-field-rb-evans-catchin

37 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Rookie Minicamp Quick Hits: Chase Likes Footing On and Off Field; RB Evans Catching On Fast; Ossai Continues To Inspire With New Number

May 14, 2021 at 04:06 PM

Hobson_Geoff

Geoff Hobson

Bengals.com Senior Writer

Ja'Marr Chase: No. 1's first day.

After his first Bengals practice Friday morning inside the confines of Paul Brown Stadium, first-round pick Ja'Marr Chase sounded comfortable operating around both his new hash marks and Cincinnati streets.

Chase, the LSU wide receiver who has yet to hook up with his old/new quarterback Joe Burrow, had to adjust to No. 3 quarterback Kyle Shurmur and former Syracuse quarterback Eric Dungey in a try-out role. Like most rookie minicamps, the passing game was off but Chase liked the feel as they lined him up in the slot a few times.

(Later Friday, Dungey signed and became the first Syracuse quarterback to be on the Bengals roster since Todd Philcox three decades ago.)

"The NFL hash marks are a lot tighter, so we have more space in the slot now. In college, we would be almost outside by the numbers, and that would make tighter space for the outside and the inside receivers. There's much more space now," Chase said via Zoom. "It's going to take time to get used to, but I actually like it. It feels like the field is way wider, bigger and I think that's actually better."

Chase has hopped on a scooter in The Banks and took in sights that surprised and pleased him.

"I like the little view they have so far. This is not what I thought Cincinnati was going to be, so I'm actually liking this so far. I'm pretty sure I will explore more this weekend and next weekend," Chase said. "I actually thought Cincinnati was going to be a bunch of land … I didn't realize we had so many buildings, tall buildings, hills, like trains. So much is down here you know, so I was actually surprised."

- Michigan running back Chris Evans did nothing to dispel his tag as a sixth-round steal. He smoothly caught the ball out of the backfield, away from his body, which is exactly what head coach Zac Taylor and offensive coordinator Brian Callahan saw at the Senior Bowl.

"Chris's trait that is different than a lot of other running backs in the league is his ability to catch the ball and he's a very natural route runner out of the backfield. He can split out," Taylor said. "Today you probably saw us moving him around a little bit to get a better feel for him in person. He did a nice job. He seems like he's smart. He understands it. He can retain information. It makes sense to him and then he went out there and made some nice catches."

Taylor observed how natural and easy running routes were for him on Friday and there may be a very good reason. Evans said the Bengals language isn't much different than what his college head coach used in Ann Arbor.

"We've been talking about it and we've been watching the recorded Zoom meetings from the past couple days and last week too," Evans said. "Just going over it and just watching it and just grasping it in. Most of the stuff is pretty much what I learned under coach (Jim) Harbaugh. Same terminology, same language—it's just some names are flipped and stuff like that but it's pretty much the same idea.

"Maybe 25 percent the same words. And then the rest is either the same concept or same pattern or whatever. But it's pretty much the same stuff. It's just knowing exactly what you've got to do and how you've got to do it."

https://www.bengals.com/news/rookie-minicamp-quick-hits-chase-likes-footing-on-and-off-field-rb-evans-catchin

I think Evans will earn a spot on the roster...

His route running abilities good hands and elusivness makes him an ideal 

threat out of the backfield or the slot at times..

JB's going to thrive if the Oline is average.. which it wil be...actually better than average imo..

Going to be an explosive offense this year..

3 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

I think Evans will earn a spot on the roster...

His route running abilities good hands and elusivness makes him an ideal 

threat out of the backfield or the slot at times..

JB's going to thrive if the Oline is average.. which it wil be...actually better than average imo..

Going to be an explosive offense this year..

When the Bengals drafted Bernard and Mixon they said the same thing, but hardly ever do it.  

5 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

[Hobson article]  Chase said. "I actually thought Cincinnati was going to be a bunch of land … I didn't realize we had so many buildings, tall buildings, hills, like trains.  

I love how he said “we”.  Shows that he has already bought in to being a Cincinnatian.  

🦗

22 hours ago, mhfinks said:

I wanna see the undrafted TE pair, they look real!

I agree.  I think C.J. Uzi might be a semi surprise cut because of age, injury and $$.

Also while not exactly blowing the damn thing up, the Bengals are quietly dismantling 

the Marvin Mediocrities.  Thad Moss, Cheyenne O'Grady and Pro Wells could all be with the

Bengals in one way or another, active roster or practice squad.

8 hours ago, High School Harry said:

C.J. Uzi might be a semi surprise cut because of age, injury and $$.

CJ is way too expensive for his production (or shall I say lack thereof).

I think the only reason they haven't cut him yet is because he's rehabbing from injury and it would look bad. 

5 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

CJ is way too expensive for his production (or shall I say lack thereof).

I think the only reason they haven't cut him yet is because he's rehabbing from injury and it would look bad. 

I don’t think it’s as much how it would look bad as they would have to pay him an injury settlement.  

On 5/16/2021 at 5:24 PM, High School Harry said:

I agree.  I think C.J. Uzi might be a semi surprise cut because of age, injury and $$.

Also while not exactly blowing the damn thing up, the Bengals are quietly dismantling 

the Marvin Mediocrities.  Thad Moss, Cheyenne O'Grady and Pro Wells could all be with the

Bengals in one way or another, active roster or practice squad.

My thoughts exactly 

1 hour ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Did CJ not have a good connection with JB before he was hurt? And he has been training with JB so I doubt he gets cut

Yeah, he had 8 receptions for 89 yards and 1 TD before he got hurt in the second game of the season. He was on pace for 64/688/8 before he suffered a season ending injury.  

He caught Burrow's first TD and he's working out with him right now, he's not going anywhere. 

Archived