Burrow Fully on Track for Return Week 1

I put this in the OTA/Off-season news thread I started, but, eff it, it should get its own thread I think .

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31466861/cincinnati-bengals-joe-burrow-track-week-1-dr-neal-elattrache-says

"He's on track for full go for start of the season," ElAttrache, who operated on Burrow in December, wrote in a text. "He's doing all the work. He's worked his tail off and been an amazingly mature participant in his recovery. He's focused and great to work with."

"We are very happy with his recovery to say the least," ElAttrache said. "Notwithstanding the nature of his injury and extent of his reconstruction, his knee is performing perfectly.

"We just had him tested out here with a high-tech video and biomechanical evaluation and he was ahead of where we anticipated and well into the return to performance phase of his recovery. With him already performing this way, it's 'all systems go' for the start of the season."

I have read several testimonials of athletes who tore their ACL and got better as players afterwards, mainly because the injury forced them to focus on parts of their body they had previously neglected and it made their core so much stronger, and the 9 months of rehab left their body in better shape than before the injury. 

Let's hope Burrow is in this camp.

Although I think I will still have PTSD all season just watching him take hits and constantly watching his knee for a buckle. 

6 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

[snip]

Although I think I will still have PTSD all season just watching him take hits and constantly watching his knee for a buckle. 

The mental aspect is something that Joe will also have to get over.  Wearing some kind of a light-weight knee brace will help.

I tore an MCL playing indoor soccer, which is nothing close to the injury Joe sustained.  Due to good blood flow in the MCL and it not being a complete tear, it was a “let it heal” injury which takes about eight weeks.  After six weeks I went to watch the guys play, and I was shocked at how much I “felt” some of the collisions/contact on the field.  I wasn’t sure then that I would EVER be ready to play again.  But after eight weeks, and wearing a sleeve knee brace, I was back out there...and was soon back to my typical poor play.  😎

18 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

I have read several testimonials of athletes who tore their ACL and got better as players afterwards, mainly because the injury forced them to focus on parts of their body they had previously neglected and it made their core so much stronger, and the 9 months of rehab left their body in better shape than before the injury. 

Let's hope Burrow is in this camp.

Carson Palmer's a great example of getting better after ACL surgery, and if it's any comfort to Bengals fans, he never had a problem with the knee again....but I'm sure we'll all be sweating bullets, at least the first few games of this year, as our franchise QB gets banged around. And as far as getting better goes, that's not even necessary, just come back the guy you were, Joe!

3 minutes ago, Duluoz said:

Carson Palmer's a great example of getting better after ACL surgery, and if it's any comfort to Bengals fans, he never had a problem with the knee again....but I'm sure we'll all be sweating bullets, at least the first few games of this year, as our franchise QB get banged around.

You do realize he tore his left ACL twice, right?  

I'm curious if a QB can still run like normal with a knee brace on? Anyone know, as I have never worn one before. 

Like theoretically, if his knee is 100%, is there any reason why he wouldn't have the same lateral movement as before, or will the brace prevent some of that? 

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

Perhaps a better example would be Tom Brady who tore his ACL & MCL in 2008 and is still winning Superbowls 13 years later. 

Bro, I don't Disagree with the idea that Palmer played better, But he DAMN SURE HAD A PROBLEM WITH THAT KNEE AGAIN!!😂😂😂

Carson Palmer's "Kimo" injury wasn't just the ACL. It was also the MCL and big time ligament damage. Dr. Paulos said that  "On a scale of one to three, it was a four," he said. "It was off the chart. It was pretty badly damaged -- shredded is the better term." His injury occurred later in the season and was as bad or maybe worse than Burrow's injury. Burrow also has the advantage of 2020 rather than 2005 medical technology. Per Adrian Peterson who also had a torn ACL and MCL in the 2011 season and led the league in rushing in 2012, it is all about hard work and dedication, working thru painful rehab. With Joe that is a given. All of this leads me to believe we will see the same, but wiser (you can't hold the ball too long in the NFL),  Joe Burrow with a better (at least somewhat maybe more) OL, a healthy Mixon and three top notch receivers rater than two. As a long time experienced Bengals fan you have to temper optimism but it is a bit harder this year. Sorry for the long post.   

Archived