Bengals can't afford to start 0-1

Bengals can't afford to start 0-1

By JOE KAY, AP Sports Writer
September 5, 2005
CINCINNATI (AP) -- They got through the preseason without a major setback. They raised expectations for their first winning record in 15 years. The last thing the Cincinnati Bengals can afford to do now is stumble on their first step.

In Cleveland, no less.

``We have to win,'' offensive tackle Willie Anderson said Monday, without qualification or equivocation. ``We have to go up there not sugarcoating this thing.''

Nobody's even trying. It's rare for an NFL team to declare the season opener a must-win game, but that's what the Bengals are doing. Consecutive 8-8 seasons under coach Marvin Lewis have convinced them that a few opening wins mean everything.

``We need it,'' receiver Chad Johnson said. ``Our whole key to our success is the first five games. The first five games will tell us whether we're going to the postseason or not.''

For once, he's serious.

The Bengals haven't had a winning record since 1990 -- one of the longest streaks of futility in NFL history -- because they haven't been able to get started. Since 1991, they've gone 11-41 in August and September, playing themselves out of contention before midseason.

It's the only bit of Bungals that Lewis couldn't eradicate in his first two seasons. Cincinnati opened 1-4 in 2003, before rallying to the 8-8 finish. Last season, another 1-4 start left the Bengals too far behind to catch up.

Everything is aligned for a quick start in Lewis' third time around. The schedule is favorable -- only one of the first six opponents had a winning record last season -- and Lewis changed training camp routines to get players toughened up for the first game and beyond.

Virtually every day, Lewis stressed the fast start in some way.

``I've pushed hard, and we came through it healthier than when we went into it,'' Lewis said. ``That's a good thing. So we have the right mind-set, that we have accomplished something.

``They've been pushed very, very hard. Every chance where they thought they were going to relax, we haven't relaxed.''

Lewis has something else in his favor: The players know he's right after the last two years.

``It's hard to start from behind,'' 12th-year center Rich Braham said. ``We'd finish like we're a team that could have an opportunity in the playoffs, but we were a game or two short.''

The Bengals have a history of locking up in their biggest moments, especially season openers. They're 4-10 in openers since 1991, losing the most significant ones.

They lost the inaugural game at Paul Brown Stadium to the Browns in 2000, quickly dashing hopes that the new stadium would result in a new era of success. They also lost their two season openers under Lewis, who has made them competitive for the first time since the 1980s but failed to get them into the playoffs because of the slow starts.

He doesn't have to do much persuading in the locker room this year.

``The last couple of years, we were sitting at home after being 8-8,'' Anderson said. ``We won five games down the stretch, but lost three or four early on that cost us. So we realize the importance.

``He was saying it before, but now we realize the importance of getting off to a fast start.''

[quote name='MajorVirus' date='Sep 5 2005, 05:08 PM']Bengals can't afford to start 0-1

By JOE KAY, AP Sports Writer
September 5, 2005
CINCINNATI (AP) -- They got through the preseason without a major setback. They raised expectations for their first winning record in 15 years. The last thing the Cincinnati Bengals can afford to do now is stumble on their first step.

In Cleveland, no less.

``We have to win,'' offensive tackle Willie Anderson said Monday, without qualification or equivocation. ``We have to go up there not sugarcoating this thing.''

Nobody's even trying. It's rare for an NFL team to declare the season opener a must-win game, but that's what the Bengals are doing. Consecutive 8-8 seasons under coach Marvin Lewis have convinced them that a few opening wins mean everything.

``We need it,'' receiver Chad Johnson said. ``Our whole key to our success is the first five games. The first five games will tell us whether we're going to the postseason or not.''

For once, he's serious.

The Bengals haven't had a winning record since 1990 -- one of the longest streaks of futility in NFL history -- because they haven't been able to get started. Since 1991, they've gone 11-41 in August and September, playing themselves out of contention before midseason.

It's the only bit of Bungals that Lewis couldn't eradicate in his first two seasons. Cincinnati opened 1-4 in 2003, before rallying to the 8-8 finish. Last season, another 1-4 start left the Bengals too far behind to catch up.

Everything is aligned for a quick start in Lewis' third time around. The schedule is favorable -- only one of the first six opponents had a winning record last season -- and Lewis changed training camp routines to get players toughened up for the first game and beyond.

Virtually every day, Lewis stressed the fast start in some way.

``I've pushed hard, and we came through it healthier than when we went into it,'' Lewis said. ``That's a good thing. So we have the right mind-set, that we have accomplished something.

``They've been pushed very, very hard. Every chance where they thought they were going to relax, we haven't relaxed.''

Lewis has something else in his favor: The players know he's right after the last two years.

``It's hard to start from behind,'' 12th-year center Rich Braham said. ``We'd finish like we're a team that could have an opportunity in the playoffs, but we were a game or two short.''

The Bengals have a history of locking up in their biggest moments, especially season openers. They're 4-10 in openers since 1991, losing the most significant ones.

They lost the inaugural game at Paul Brown Stadium to the Browns in 2000, quickly dashing hopes that the new stadium would result in a new era of success. They also lost their two season openers under Lewis, who has made them competitive for the first time since the 1980s but failed to get them into the playoffs because of the slow starts.

He doesn't have to do much persuading in the locker room this year.

``The last couple of years, we were sitting at home after being 8-8,'' Anderson said. ``We won five games down the stretch, but lost three or four early on that cost us. So we realize the importance.

``He was saying it before, but now we realize the importance of getting off to a fast start.''
[right][post="142879"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I agree that this is definitely a must-win. If we are going to step up to the next level, we have to consistently beat the teams that we are supposed to. The last two years we have been killed by inconsistency and losing to teams that we should have beaten. That said, I feel we're going to murderize the Turds on Sunday.

[quote name='Jophis' date='Sep 5 2005, 03:22 PM']I agree that this is definitely a must-win.  If we are going to step up to the next level, we have to consistently beat the teams that we are supposed to.  The last two years we have been killed by inconsistency and losing to teams that we should have beaten.  That said, I feel we're going to murderize the Turds on Sunday.
[right][post="142884"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I couldn't agree with you more. I hated to see us play down to a team, when we know damn well we should have destroyed them. We need to break that trend, starting with the Turds.

Guest steggyD

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' date='Sep 5 2005, 07:32 PM'] :1287:   :1287:   :1287:   :1287:   :1287:

We are going to take Cleveland by storm.

Then poke them with sticks for the hell of it and for the hell of me using this smiley.

:265:
[right][post="142889"][/post][/right][/quote]
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]
Let's beat those :klwn: s into submission, then do a little :dance: on their corpses, and give a big :fing27: to all of Cleveland.

[quote name='steggyD' date='Sep 5 2005, 07:53 PM'] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]
Let's beat those  :klwn: s into submission, then do a little :dance: on their corpses, and give a big  :fing27: to all of Cleveland.
[right][post="142898"][/post][/right][/quote]
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]
Man some of the posts today are making me laugh my ass off!

Guest Claptonrocks
Two ways to get to playoffs.. winning the division for overall record....

Winning the division will more than likely take a 4-2 record....
Beat Browns twice and split with the other two..
lose to Browns once and have to sweep one of the others...

Overall record of 10-6 should but doesnt guarantee a playoff spot.
This game is very important.. first game of season, division foe and road game.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' date='Sep 5 2005, 08:27 PM']If the Bengals go 4-2 in the division I'll be pleased, if they do better than that, I'll be delirious.
[right][post="142909"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
If they can split the devision that would be just fine, since their 3-4 hardest games are therein

its simple... eliminate silly mistakes on offense, tackle well on defense, and be agressive on special teams and there really arent many teams that will give us problems this season. the browns will always give us a run for our money they are no pushover and im sure marvin has preached this to everyone time and time again. special teams and turnovers decide this one.

Guest BlackJesus

[quote]``We need it,'' receiver Chad Johnson said. ``Our whole key to our success is the first five games. The first five games will tell us whether we're going to the postseason or not.''[/quote]

= 4-1

:headbang:

Guest oldschooler
Bengals ready to rumble
Team sees fast start as crucial

By Kevin Goheen
Post staff reporter

Coach Marvin Lewis said the Bengals need to establish an identity. Doing that early is important because the Bengals will start the season with what is believed to be the easiest part of their schedule.

The Bengals have spent the past five weeks refining their act. Now they get to go define it.

Head coach Marvin Lewis said Monday he is pleased with where his team sits as it heads into the season opener Sunday at Cleveland. Following final cuts this weekend, the organization stood pat on the 53 players it has on its roster.

There were no waiver-wire additions or subtractions Monday.

"Where we are with our team and who is going to be up active and playing, you have to balance that with how far down the road we are in our preparation for Cleveland," said Lewis. "That's probably the hardest thing. Is that player going to be up and active compared somebody else? I'm happy with where we are with our football team. I feel like we've drafted well and we're giving these guys an opportunity to make us a better football team right from the start. The more they play, the better they play. And it's fun to see them get an opportunity to play. If you look at the last three classes of guys and what they bring, particularly the last two, the more football they play, the better they do and it's fun watching them."

The Bengals have drafted 27 players in Lewis' three years and 21 of those players are still with the organization. Seven of the 21 are listed as starters on the depth chart, while running back Chris Perry, linebacker David Pollack and cornerback Keiwan Ratliff will all play significant roles quickly this season.

"I think every team has to go and create its identity. We don't know what our identity is. We're going to create that," said Lewis. "You make your own identity. You don't have to worry about that until you go out there and get to write your own script. So let's go forward."

The Bengals have finished 8-8 in consecutive seasons under Lewis, increasing their current stretch of non-winning and non-playoff seasons to 14, the longest such active streak in the NFL. Starting the season off fast has been a focal point the entire offseason. After Cleveland, which finished 4-12 last season, the Bengals play Minnesota (8-8) at home, travel to Chicago (5-11), return home against Houston (7-9), and then play road games at Jacksonville (9-7) and Tennessee (5-11).

Minnesota is the only returning playoff team of those first six contests. If the Bengals want to end their 14-year drought, coming out of that stretch with a winning record would appear imperative. In the six games that follow, the Bengals play division rivals Pittsburgh and Baltimore twice each as well hosting Indianapolis and Green Bay, both division title winners last season.

"We need (this win) because the whole key to success for us is our first five games," said wide receiver Chad Johnson. "Those games will tell us, to me, whether we're going to the postseason or not. The second half we will play good football but it's how we start."

Each of the last two seasons the Bengals have won just one of their first five games and they had to play catch-up the rest of the seasons.

"I can't give you the exact definition of what a fast start is. That's the thing, we get to define that," said Lewis. "We get to write the script to what a fast start is. I can't tell you right now what that script says."

The scriptwriters are players Lewis has chosen. Chad Johnson is one of only 14 players left on the team who were with the Bengals before Lewis' arrival in 2003. Ten of those players are starters, if you include long snapper Brad St. Louis. That's 39 Bengals who are new to the organization in the past three seasons.

The Browns will be playing their first game under head coach Romeo Crennel, formerly the defensive coordinator at New England. Crennel has switched the Browns defense from an alignment of four down linemen and three linebackers to a 3-4 system.

"We have to have a good game plan this week, go in and know our assignments," said center Rich Braham, another of the holdovers. "That's the biggest thing to getting off to a good start because if everyone knows what they are doing nobody has to anticipate what the Browns are doing."

[url="http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050906/SPT03/509060306/1022"]http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar.../509060306/1022[/url]

Archived