Dave Lapham "In the trenches" - Ickey Woods

31 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

I liked Ickey too but he really wasn't more than a one year player

That's because he tore his ACL in year 2.

Regardless, many have understandable fond memories of him, and probably okay to have a thread about him given Lap's interview of him without a threadjack. 

25 minutes ago, membengal said:

That's because he tore his ACL in year 2.

Regardless, many have understandable fond memories of him, and probably okay to have a thread about him given Lap's interview of him without a threadjack. 

It's fine to have a thread about him. There just isn't much to talk about since he did get hurt in yr two

He actually played in 19 games after his injury. He scored 10 TD’s in the two years after also. Had a decent 4.2 ypc in 1990. He just could never get that initial step back as he had in ‘88. Couldn’t explode into the gaps. 

Will never forget his injury game in ‘89 (against the Stealers). Play was sweeping in our direction in the stands. Saw the whole horrible thing right in front of me. 

Yes to that. Genuinely nice person too. Had the opportunity to meet him on a few occasions here in Columbus when he was having his Jovante Woods Foundation appearances. 

One in particular, was at a pub during the first Bengals-Texans Playoff game. He and Pete Johnson were auctioning memorabilia, and had finished at halftime. The place was packed. He was wandering around, looking for a seat. I had a table near the main TV, and a few of my mates had left. Motioned to him he was welcome to join us, and he did. He went into football fan mode, and it was a delight to have the opportunity to share the final half of a really bad game with him. Just a very nice, real, and engaging person. 

On 6/2/2021 at 5:53 AM, Le Tigre said:

Yes to that. Genuinely nice person too. Had the opportunity to meet him on a few occasions here in Columbus when he was having his Jovante Woods Foundation appearances. 

One in particular, was at a pub during the first Bengals-Texans Playoff game. He and Pete Johnson were auctioning memorabilia, and had finished at halftime. The place was packed. He was wandering around, looking for a seat. I had a table near the main TV, and a few of my mates had left. Motioned to him he was welcome to join us, and he did. He went into football fan mode, and it was a delight to have the opportunity to share the final half of a really bad game with him. Just a very nice, real, and engaging person. 

Oof. That's a rough game to watch. Wife and I went to that game here in Houston. It was a fucking disaster. 

Archived