Have we done enough?

I am worried about a bunch. 

Chopping off practice sessions for a young team, not coaching the senior bowl, having 85 players when you could have 90.....all seems like a team not doing everything it can do to win. This seems like a team full of good guys...players and coaches....that are easy to root for but won't see success.

I always think we should think about what we would do if X player went down. We do a terrible job of leveraging our self for injuries. 

QB: I worry Burrow will push himself too hard and get hurt again. The talent is there, he might be too confident for his own good....AND we didn't leverage ourselves if that's the case. We should/could add another veteran QB with actual snaps... we didn't

RB: I like Mixon, the offense ran better with Bernard....we cut Bernard, Perrine has upside and Evans is interesting but they aren't Bernard.

WR: We ignored the position in Free Agency, which really was negligent with how much 3rd starters were costing, and now we don't have the depth to be ok if an injury happens. 

TE: Smorgasbord of players who are interesting from top to bottom with no star. We have seen this happen before at the position and it probably isn't anything special. 

OL: Did they do enough? Rieff and Carman? If I told you those were our additions before free agency you would have been frustrated/angry. Tackle would be lost with an injury, one starter is 32 has played 10/32 games. 

DL: It would be hard to say we didn't tread water at best with Hendrickson v Lawson but the depth is better. 3T is a question. Who knows here. A bunch of interesting people, no surefire star. 

LB: A complete confusion here as well. Who knows who starts and if they are above adequate. 

DB: Actual depth here. I think we would all be ok with Allen or Phillips playing lots of minutes. Probably the only position group where we built real depth. 

They lost 1 practice and a walk through.  Not a huge loss.

As for Burrow, as many injuries as this team has had, they have actually got a really good history with rehab.

This team is going to be better this year, but they are probably a year and a draft away from being a playoff team.  This year they need to demonstrate the core pieces are in place, especially on the coaching staff.

I want this team to succeed so bad. As mentioned above, this team seems like it has a lot of good guys, a lot of "team first" guys. It is just so tough to see them making any sort of huge improvement when you have little to no faith in the entire coaching staff. Why can't Zac relinquish play-calling to Callahan and take a little off his plate? Can Lou finally put a competitive defense together now that he's gotten a bunch of guys that work better in his scheme? I think this team can win as many games (maybe a couple more?) as they have in the last two season's combined but that really isn't saying much...especially in a 17-game season.

8 hours ago, Jason said:

They lost 1 practice and a walk through.  Not a huge loss.

As for Burrow, as many injuries as this team has had, they have actually got a really good history with rehab.

This team is going to be better this year, but they are probably a year and a draft away from being a playoff team.  This year they need to demonstrate the core pieces are in place, especially on the coaching staff.

I don't know how to phrase this, but I believe in what you said, I am just super trepidatious about this team and how they have been doing things. I don't believe what I believe....which is confusing.

2 minutes ago, membengal said:

But they were not at 120% of attendance, so, yet another disappointment and failure, I suppose. 

:lol:

I just find the worry over 1 lost practice when they were the only team in full attendance a bit silly

28 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

There is a pattern of not doing everything they can to win. 

They rewarded the players for a job well done. That’s a move that could pay some nice dividends down the road, IMO. 

I know some folks like to be positive at all times, but this is a team that has had a losing record for five straight seasons and has a head coach with a 6-25-1 record.  Plenty of reason to doubt things will work out.  But...we hope...

I think I'm going to go with "Yeah, we've done enough FOR NOW".

You know darn well they will pick up a late or final cut from another team

like maybe a guy some team is trying to get to clear waivers to sign to the

practice squad or a decent enough vet who was beaten out and/or too expensive.

For example... Maybe Atlanta will shake free a decent tight end since they signed Pitts.

Etc.  But it ain't over yet, folks.

Literally, the Bengals were the only NFL team w/ 100% attendance at volunataries - so 3 weeks of practices at full squad. Then a 10th to start mandatory - except - they've pretty much already had 3 weeks of mandatories - and then you want to whine about them missing one more non-contact practice and a half-speed walkthrough - for a team that is within a few players of hitting the 85% threshold for vax that would give them a competitive advantage over a lot of other teams the rest of the year if they get there and the two days free were to push them to that mark. I mean, ok. You are definitely not big mad. 

4 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I know some folks like to be positive at all times, but this is a team that has had a losing record for five straight seasons and has a head coach with a 6-25-1 record.  Plenty of reason to doubt things will work out.  But...we hope...

To gripe about cutting two practices to reward the players though just seems a little ridiculous to me..

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Every year with the Bengals I always have hope, it is faith I lack

3 hours ago, membengal said:

Literally, the Bengals were the only NFL team w/ 100% attendance at volunataries - so 3 weeks of practices at full squad. Then a 10th to start mandatory - except - they've pretty much already had 3 weeks of mandatories - and then you want to whine about them missing one more non-contact practice and a half-speed walkthrough - for a team that is within a few players of hitting the 85% threshold for vax that would give them a competitive advantage over a lot of other teams the rest of the year if they get there and the two days free were to push them to that mark. I mean, ok. You are definitely not big mad. 

Well, shine up the Vince Lombardi trophy!

The buy-in seems good, but the NFL threw some cold water on that with their rules for the vaccine avoiders.  Mixon isn't happy and said so.  It will be a constant effort.

Remains to be seen if Taylor and staff can actually coach.  It's good for morale and teamwork that the malcontents like Dunlap and WJIII left, but maybe their beefs were legit?  The proof will be in the record.  They need to finish at least .500 for me to believe in Taylor.  Bring on the season!

14 hours ago, spicoli said:

They rewarded the players for a job well done. That’s a move that could pay some nice dividends down the road, IMO. 

14 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

There is a pattern of not doing everything they can to win. 

While both statements are definitely true, I think in this case the Bengals decision was just fine.  They got the work they wanted to get done finished.  I always hold my breath regarding injuries this early in the process anyway, so I'm fine with it.

47 minutes ago, westside bengal said:

Every year with the Bengals I always have hope, it is faith I lack

Yeah, I can relate to that.  But...but...something feels much different this year, so I have faith too!  Do I often say that too at this time of year?  Uhh...ummmmm...maybe?  :)

Archived