Have we done enough?

18 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Exactly. It's a bully mentality. The Bully claims victimhood as soon as it's pointed out how ridiculous they are being. 

Pretty much how political talk operates and it is now leaking into how people communicate every day.  It's disingenuous and intellectually empty, but pretty standard these days.

6 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

Sure it would. I didn't even mention Sewell in the breakdown of each position. 

I understand being too busy so as not to read entire posts. I don't understand the desire to comment on them if you haven't read them. 

Fine....

On 6/20/2021 at 11:29 PM, MichaelWeston said:

I am worried about a bunch. 

Chopping off practice sessions for a young team, not coaching the senior bowl, having 85 players when you could have 90.....all seems like a team not doing everything it can do to win. This seems like a team full of good guys...players and coaches....that are easy to root for but won't see success.

I always think we should think about what we would do if X player went down. We do a terrible job of leveraging our self for injuries. 

QB: I worry Burrow will push himself too hard and get hurt again. The talent is there, he might be too confident for his own good....AND we didn't leverage ourselves if that's the case. We should/could add another veteran QB with actual snaps... we didn't

RB: I like Mixon, the offense ran better with Bernard....we cut Bernard, Perrine has upside and Evans is interesting but they aren't Bernard.

WR: We ignored the position in Free Agency, which really was negligent with how much 3rd starters were costing, and now we don't have the depth to be ok if an injury happens. 

TE: Smorgasbord of players who are interesting from top to bottom with no star. We have seen this happen before at the position and it probably isn't anything special. 

OL: Did they do enough? Rieff and Carman? If I told you those were our additions before free agency you would have been frustrated/angry. Tackle would be lost with an injury, one starter is 32 has played 10/32 games. 

DL: It would be hard to say we didn't tread water at best with Hendrickson v Lawson but the depth is better. 3T is a question. Who knows here. A bunch of interesting people, no surefire star. 

LB: A complete confusion here as well. Who knows who starts and if they are above adequate. 

DB: Actual depth here. I think we would all be ok with Allen or Phillips playing lots of minutes. Probably the only position group where we built real depth. 

QB..... This is the purpose of having trainers and doctors, if you watch any of his interviews you will notice that while he may be chomping at the bit he always says "if they let me". As far as adding a vet QB. Who? It's easy to say this but have you seen the list of available QBs? There isn't much there. The only guy on this list that has snaps is RG3, every other potential vet signed elsewhere. This also assumes you know that we didn't put in calls. I know it's easy for fans to assume that every guy is open to playing here but that's a mighty big assumption.  We may have the "Burrow Effect" for FAs now but that wont apply to QBs who would be holding the clipboard for him.

RB..... I agree, Gio was one of my favorites, and I'm sad he wanted to leave (at his age I get the desire to want to win though).  As far as his slot goes, Perrine and Evans are not Gio I agree here as well, as Gio has done it at this level. I'm less sold on Perrine but am intrigued by Evans. If either of them prove to not be able to do what Gio did I suspect we draft a guy next year at a slot likely higher than we took Evans. 

TE - This is a luxury position for the Bengals and they had many more needs. Now had Kyle Pitts been sitting there when we drafted it may be a different conversation, but he wasnt. I am interested in seeing how Moss does now that he and Joe will be playing together again. I'll grant you that college is not the NFL but in college I thought he played a pretty good role for LSU.

OL - We addressed RT with Reiff, Williams despite what some didn't want to hear, was going to be the LT, the coaches told you this you just thought it was coach speak. Reiff was already a fairly good LT and now he is moving to the right side which is notoriously less in far as competition with regard to guys he will be going against.  Carman while not who I would have picked in the 2nd (although it's hard to argue against getting more picks for him as I really like what I see in Shelvin. Now I do think Carman will end up being a pretty good Guard, whether he can move out to RT when Reiff is gone or whether we will have to find a new RT remains to be seen. What I like about what the Bengals did in the draft is they drafted more than one guy on both sides of the line, this should raise the competition level and produce a line that will be better than last years abomination.

DL. .... I don't agree that we treaded water with Henrickson v Lawson, I've always thought people overrate Lawson. Hendrickson will have the chance to show his season last year was not a fluke season and while he may or may not reach the same sack numbers, I bet he gets more than Lawson does. As far as the rest of the line I said I like what I see in Shelvin and there are a few other guys in the mix here too. None of them at a level Geno was in his prime, but it is very difficult to replace a guy that will end up at bare minimum on the Bengals ring of honor, that quickly. DT is a notoriously difficult position to find guys at Geno's talent level. Best I am hoping from them here is to plug up the middle to stop the run. Now I do really like Ossai and with some time think he will be better than Hubbard but having him as the 3rd option I think he is going to surprise people.

LB.... not a big fan of this position group, I would have brought back Bynes honestly. This is a wait and see, as "camp speak" which we know is often overhyped, has alot of good stuff being said about Wilson. But yes this group is something of a concern for me. 

DB.... lots of depth, but I'm not sure we have any guy that can shut it down. I think it will be a average group other than Bates who we need to sign long term. I would not be surprised in the least if CB 1 is the 1st round draft pick next year.

The bottom line here is that you have to weigh what you want to do in various aspects, and then you have to also take into account guys that may not want to come play here as well that they did try to get.  (Kevin Zeitler anyone?) .....and you have to have a multi year plan so that you are in a position to keep the guys you want to keep that are already here, like Bates. You can't go into FA every year and blow your load or you just end up being the Redskins. (excuse me WFT). 

So you question did we do enough with what we could do with guys that were willing to come play here?

As someone else asked you....enough to do what?

Win more games? .... yes 

Compete for a playoff spot? ....maybe

Win the AFCN?....if things line up right.....maybe

Win a playoff game?.....I'd be surprised, but it could happen.

Win the AFCC?.....No, that still belongs to the Chiefs imho....but we were not going to fix every problem we have on this team that quickly

Win the SB? .... No, same answer as the AFCC.

5 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

So you question did we do enough with what we could do with guys that were willing to come play here?

Win more games? .... yes 

Win the AFCC?.....No, that still belongs to the Chiefs imho....but we were not going to fix every problem we have on this team that quickly

Great response. 

What would make you happy this season from the Bengals?   

IMO, they need to make a significant jump.  This is Taylor's third season.  He has "his guys."  They appear bought in.  There should be some significant progress.  Anything less than 8-8 with a fourth place schedule is a FAIL. 

Injuries as an excuse isn't gonna fly this year.  They've had the chance to build depth.  At DB, DL, RB, and WR they have some depth.  OL  still worries me.  If one of the tackles goes down things look ugly fast.  One of the Bengals depth tackles is already gone for the season.  I know they have time to sign another, but they need to do so.  Getting back to the original question, "Have they done enough?" At this point they have not on the OL. 

20 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Fine....

QB..... This is the purpose of having trainers and doctors, if you watch any of his interviews you will notice that while he may be chomping at the bit he always says "if they let me". As far as adding a vet QB. Who? It's easy to say this but have you seen the list of available QBs? There isn't much there. The only guy on this list that has snaps is RG3, every other potential vet signed elsewhere. This also assumes you know that we didn't put in calls. I know it's easy for fans to assume that every guy is open to playing here but that's a mighty big assumption.  We may have the "Burrow Effect" for FAs now but that wont apply to QBs who would be holding the clipboard for him.

RB..... I agree, Gio was one of my favorites, and I'm sad he wanted to leave (at his age I get the desire to want to win though).  As far as his slot goes, Perrine and Evans are not Gio I agree here as well, as Gio has done it at this level. I'm less sold on Perrine but am intrigued by Evans. If either of them prove to not be able to do what Gio did I suspect we draft a guy next year at a slot likely higher than we took Evans. 

TE - This is a luxury position for the Bengals and they had many more needs. Now had Kyle Pitts been sitting there when we drafted it may be a different conversation, but he wasnt. I am interested in seeing how Moss does now that he and Joe will be playing together again. I'll grant you that college is not the NFL but in college I thought he played a pretty good role for LSU.

OL - We addressed RT with Reiff, Williams despite what some didn't want to hear, was going to be the LT, the coaches told you this you just thought it was coach speak. Reiff was already a fairly good LT and now he is moving to the right side which is notoriously less in far as competition with regard to guys he will be going against.  Carman while not who I would have picked in the 2nd (although it's hard to argue against getting more picks for him as I really like what I see in Shelvin. Now I do think Carman will end up being a pretty good Guard, whether he can move out to RT when Reiff is gone or whether we will have to find a new RT remains to be seen. What I like about what the Bengals did in the draft is they drafted more than one guy on both sides of the line, this should raise the competition level and produce a line that will be better than last years abomination.

DL. .... I don't agree that we treaded water with Henrickson v Lawson, I've always thought people overrate Lawson. Hendrickson will have the chance to show his season last year was not a fluke season and while he may or may not reach the same sack numbers, I bet he gets more than Lawson does. As far as the rest of the line I said I like what I see in Shelvin and there are a few other guys in the mix here too. None of them at a level Geno was in his prime, but it is very difficult to replace a guy that will end up at bare minimum on the Bengals ring of honor, that quickly. DT is a notoriously difficult position to find guys at Geno's talent level. Best I am hoping from them here is to plug up the middle to stop the run. Now I do really like Ossai and with some time think he will be better than Hubbard but having him as the 3rd option I think he is going to surprise people.

LB.... not a big fan of this position group, I would have brought back Bynes honestly. This is a wait and see, as "camp speak" which we know is often overhyped, has alot of good stuff being said about Wilson. But yes this group is something of a concern for me. 

DB.... lots of depth, but I'm not sure we have any guy that can shut it down. I think it will be a average group other than Bates who we need to sign long term. I would not be surprised in the least if CB 1 is the 1st round draft pick next year.

The bottom line here is that you have to weigh what you want to do in various aspects, and then you have to also take into account guys that may not want to come play here as well that they did try to get.  (Kevin Zeitler anyone?) .....and you have to have a multi year plan so that you are in a position to keep the guys you want to keep that are already here, like Bates. You can't go into FA every year and blow your load or you just end up being the Redskins. (excuse me WFT). 

Win more games? .... yes 

I answered the question. Did we add enough depth. So that there aren't gaping holes when injuries happen. 

Otherwise I like your breakdown and appreciate it

QB Options: Brett Hundley, Sean Mannion and Matt Barkley. 

Mannion coached by Taylor. Barkley a former Bengal. Hundley fits the mold for what I like at the position. 

15 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Great response. 

IMO, they need to make a significant jump.  This is Taylor's third season.  He has "his guys."  They appear bought in.  There should be some significant progress.  Anything less than 8-8 with a fourth place schedule is a FAIL. 

Injuries as an excuse isn't gonna fly this year.  They've had the chance to build depth.  At DB, DL, RB, and WR they have some depth.  OL  still worries me.  If one of the tackles goes down things look ugly fast.  One of the Bengals depth tackles is already gone for the season.  I know they have time to sign another, but they need to do so.  Getting back to the original question, "Have they done enough?" At this point they have not on the OL. 

For Taylor to keep his Job all that needs to happen is the offense is good. That's it. Because he can blame the D on Anarumo and fire him. Probably win like 6 games or more too. 

22 minutes ago, MichaelWeston said:

I answered the question. Did we add enough depth. So that there aren't gaping holes when injuries happen. 

Otherwise I like your breakdown and appreciate it

QB Options: Brett Hundley, Sean Mannion and Matt Barkley. 

Mannion coached by Taylor. Barkley a former Bengal. Hundley fits the mold for what I like at the position. 

I think that depends on the position group. .... LB as I said is a concern for me..... but the Oline I think people are going to be surprised at it being better than last year.

The underlying question that I am reading into is if Jonah Williams gets hurt...as something of an expectation for some around here .... will we be able to keep going?..... I ask what team that loses their LT would? ....  Everyone during the draft kept going on about what happened to the Cheifs for not protecting Mahomes, but what team has a backup LT that they can just plug in play? Or even put in and not get a huge drop off? ..... Winning in this league isnt just a matter of having the right talent and being prepared....there is a certain amount of luck that goes into it too with regard to injuries.

People trying to say "I told you so" about Adeniji....I'm just like.... so what? He wasn't all that great to begin with. Ya'll tripping because our 6th round guy got hurt and we were going to have to rely on him because we are so sure Williams is going to get hurt again?..... Well I guess if that happens we move Reiff to LT and find out sooner than later if Carman can play RT....or we might find out what we have in Smith.  

52 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Great response. 

I don't like the depth at LB, it reminds me of the year under Marvin that we had 2 guys playing. IIRC that was the same year that we brought dhani jones in off the street, who I liked but he was never a difference maker, just a solid guy.  If this year goes that way 8-8 may be being hopeful.  That's really the only position group I think depth is a concern. 

I think given some luck on injuries, this is a team that can fight for the final playoff spot at best. As I asked in the follow up post, name me a team that has a backup LT that they can just plug and play? Or even one that doesnt have significant dropoff. .... Backup LT is a luxury for almost every team. .... But as I said in the follow on as well. .... We are lucky that Reiff has played the position and did so at a acceptable level. .... But we did add a bunch of new guys on the Oline through the draft ...which for backup positions is where you want to do that, as it gives them a chance to grow into the position.  I really think this question is based on the assumption that Williams is absolutely going to get hurt again. I think I believe them when they said he would have played again if it had mattered. 

But to answer your question what would make me happy. .... Noticeable improvement and being able to use my "eye test" to see that this team is going in the right direction. .... I think we can be a playoff team, but that's not my marker.

38 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I think given some luck on injuries, this is a team that can fight for the final playoff spot at best. As I asked in the follow up post, name me a team that has a backup LT that they can just plug and play? Or even one that doesnt have significant dropoff. .... Backup LT is a luxury for almost every team. .... But as I said in the follow on as well. .... We are lucky that Reiff has played the position and did so at a acceptable level. .... But we did add a bunch of new guys on the Oline through the draft ...which for backup positions is where you want to do that, as it gives them a chance to grow into the position.  I really think this question is based on the assumption that Williams is absolutely going to get hurt again. I think I believe them when they said he would have played again if it had mattered. 

But to answer your question what would make me happy. .... Noticeable improvement and being able to use my "eye test" to see that this team is going in the right direction. .... I think we can be a playoff team, but that's not my marker.

What you are leaving out at tackle is that the incumbent at LT has been unable to stay healthy for two years.  Calling that luck or ignoring it is bad management.  They should have a backup plan for Williams.  No, it won't be a stud, but it shouldn't be a rookie or some guy who is woefully unprepared as we have seen in the past.  They need to sign a vet tackle that could be serviceable if either Williams or Reiff go down.  I do not like the options they have now.

At LB I'm not as concerned.  I liked what I saw of Logan Wilson last season.  He should improve.  Depth charts list 3 LB starting positions, but I don't think that is very accurate these days.  Multi receiver packages are the norm and most snaps will have 1 or 2 LBs tops.  Extra safeties and CBs are more important and the Bengals did address that this offseason.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

What you are leaving out at tackle is that the incumbent at LT has been unable to stay healthy for two years.  Calling that luck or ignoring it is bad management.  They should have a backup plan for Williams.  No, it won't be a stud, but it shouldn't be a rookie or some guy who is woefully unprepared as we have seen in the past.  They need to sign a vet tackle that could be serviceable if either Williams or Reiff go down.  I do not like the options they have now.

At LB I'm not as concerned.  I liked what I saw of Logan Wilson last season.  He should improve.  Depth charts list 3 LB starting positions, but I don't think that is very accurate these days.  Multi receiver packages are the norm and most snaps will have 1 or 2 LBs tops.  Extra safeties and CBs are more important and the Bengals did address that this offseason.

I'm not sure that I did leave that out. I suggested that when they said had they been playing games that mattered that they would have brought Williams back in, that I believed them. So I'm not concerned that Williams is a injury prone guy that is going to get hurt for a significant amount of time as some of you are. 

I ask again what team has a backup T let alone LT that can play at that level? Competent let alone good T's especially LT are a premium and those guys dont stay backups.  Which is why your backups at those positions almost always are young guys that aren't ready for prime time yet. We drafted that we just don't know what we have in it. 

I think having Hilton in the slot will alleviate some of my concern if we get thin at LB, and I agree with you that Wilson should take the next step hopefully, but i'm still concerned if someone goes down.  All I know is I didn't like watching this team getting gnashed in the running game as badly as they did last year.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

This is depressing.

I think everyone is in the same chapter if not the same page

and I do not want to see T Dub and Rick 2.0.

We've lost enough people over the last few years for

whatever reason as it is.

:kumbaya:

:lol:

Not at all, healthy discussion is fine. 

T-Dubb as much as I like the guy just liked to shitpost with anyone who disagreed with his positions. 

He could have offered much much more than he wanted to offer, he chose not to. Shame really.

If Burrow is an all-time great, maybe we have done enough.

That's what it takes to overcome the hurdles of a team headed by one of the worst owners/GMs in American sports history.  He is that horrible and awful. 

Not good enough for Burrow to be very good like Dullton and Plamer were at times.  He has to be Mahomes/Brady level.  Not sure if being as good as Brees is good enough.

Mike Brown is the epitome of the idea that 90% of success may depend upon who your parents were.  Because he has accomplished nothing in his life and is still a millionaire and the owner of a major sports team.

13 minutes ago, tibor75 said:

If Burrow is an all-time great, maybe we have done enough.

That's what it takes to overcome the hurdles of a team headed by one of the worst owners/GMs in American sports history.  He is that horrible and awful. 

Not good enough for Burrow to be very good like Dullton and Plamer were at times.  He has to be Mahomes/Brady level.  Not sure if being as good as Brees is good enough.

Mike Brown is the epitome of the idea that 90% of success may depend upon who your parents were.  Because he has accomplished nothing in his life and is still a millionaire and the owner of a major sports team.

Tks for the new take on Brown...

And the beat goes on with redundancy.

6 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm not sure that I did leave that out. I suggested that when they said had they been playing games that mattered that they would have brought Williams back in, that I believed them. So I'm not concerned that Williams is a injury prone guy that is going to get hurt for a significant amount of time as some of you are. 

I ask again what team has a backup T let alone LT that can play at that level? Competent let alone good T's especially LT are a premium and those guys dont stay backups.  Which is why your backups at those positions almost always are young guys that aren't ready for prime time yet. We drafted that we just don't know what we have in it. 

I think having Hilton in the slot will alleviate some of my concern if we get thin at LB, and I agree with you that Wilson should take the next step hopefully, but i'm still concerned if someone goes down.  All I know is I didn't like watching this team getting gnashed in the running game as badly as they did last year.

Seems like Minnesota was cool letting Reiff walk.  Must have had someone they were OK with before drafting Darrisaw.    

Pretty much agree with you, but less comfortable with Williams and more comfortable at LB. 

1 hour ago, kennethmw said:

For those of us that are Pessimistic, the Bengals will never do enough.  For those of us that are optimistic, the Bengals will appear to be moving in the right direction.  We all know who is on each side.  😂😂😂

Playoff wins

Mahomes > Bengals entire franchise history

Brown family is an embarrassment. And that includes Paul Brown, a Cincinnati failure.

2 hours ago, tibor75 said:

Playoff wins

Mahomes > Bengals entire franchise history

Brown family is an embarrassment. And that includes Paul Brown, a Cincinnati failure.

Well I don`t agree with you but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I am sure the Chiefs are still accepting new fans if you feel your team and their history is so bad why do you continue to put your time and effort into them?  

1 hour ago, CalifBengalfan said:

Well I don`t agree with you but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I am sure the Chiefs are still accepting new fans if you feel your team and their history is so bad why do you continue to put your time and effort into them?  

Because he is a troll and not a fan. You will only find him here to shit talk the franchise, fan base, players, etc. Some have said differently, but if you literally never say one good thing about the team, yet post on a fan board of said team, then you are a troll. Maybe some day people will realize it's people like him who drive actual fans away from the board.

7 hours ago, Jackie Treehorn said:

Because he is a troll and not a fan. You will only find him here to shit talk the franchise, fan base, players, etc. Some have said differently, but if you literally never say one good thing about the team, yet post on a fan board of said team, then you are a troll. Maybe some day people will realize it's people like him who drive actual fans away from the board.

Co-Sign.

I really wish the Mods would do something about it, there is a difference between healthy skepticism and only being here to troll. The ladder hurts the board. I'd ask the Mods to look into how active the board was vs how active it is since he has been here and weigh whether or not having him around helps or hurts board participation. 

5 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Co-Sign.

I really wish the Mods would do something about it, there is a difference between healthy skepticism and only being here to troll. The ladder hurts the board. I'd ask the Mods to look into how active the board was vs how active it is since he has been here and weigh whether or not having him around helps or hurts board participation. 

Please.  Just mute the guy if he bothers you so much.  

All he has done is rip Mike Brown in this thread.  That is totally warranted.  The guy has earned it.  Somehow ripping Mike Brown is no longer OK?  

Is this a discussion board or just for those who look at things in the same way?   Not going to be much discussion.  

Archived