Michael Lombardi says Zac Taylor ....

Is Zac Taylor qualified to coach the Bengals ?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Zac Taylor qualified to coach the Bengals ?

• Yes
    • No

Michael Lombardi says Zac Taylor is not qualified to coach the Bengals or for that matter the Cincinnati Bearcats...  ... and he compares Taylor to the infamous Dave Shula... 😂

Imo all you need to know about Lombardi's credibility is in the following quote; 

"In September 2017, Mike Lombardi made headlines by criticizing Philadelphia Eagles coach Doug Pederson: "He might be less qualified to coach a team than anyone I’ve ever seen in my 30-plus years in the NFL.".[26] Pederson would lead the Eagles to their first Super Bowl championship later that season."

Jimmy Johnson went 1-15 his first year with the Cowboys then 7-9 the following year (which is what Zac would have probably finished last year had Burrow not been hurt). Then he won 2 of the next 3 Super Bowls after building with top draft picks. So Zac deserves one more year to prove his plan is working.

For my part, I think the Bengals make the playoffs and Zac wins coach of the year this season (as long as Burrow stays healthy). 

Well, he was sure short on experience when they hired him.  Two years ago he was right.  Now?  He's had some experience.  This is a fish or cut bait season, IMO.  The Bengals need to make a significant improvement or Taylor is little more than a bunch of positive vibes.

4 hours ago, Numbers said:

Michael Lombardi says Zac Taylor is not qualified to coach the Bengals or for that matter the Cincinnati Bearcats...  ... and he compares Taylor to the infamous Dave Shula

Imo all you need to know about Lombardi's credibility is in the following quote; 

"In September 2017, Mike Lombardi made headlines by criticizing Philadelphia Eagles coach Doug Pederson: "He might be less qualified to coach a team than anyone I’ve ever seen in my 30-plus years in the NFL.".[26] Pederson would lead the Eagles to their first Super Bowl championship later that season."

While that is true, the Eagles have crashed and burned since. 

12 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Jimmy Johnson went 1-15 his first year with the Cowboys then 7-9 the following year (which is what Zac would have probably finished last year had Burrow not been hurt). Then he won 2 of the next 3 Super Bowls after building with top draft picks. So Zac deserves one more year to prove his plan is working.

For my part, I think the Bengals make the playoffs and Zac wins coach of the year this season (as long as Burrow stays healthy). 

Jimmy Johnson had 10 years of head coaching experience in college to include 1 National Championship at Miami.  

He also came into Dallas with a plan and a very experienced coaching staff. He had to dump a bunch of aging vets (something Taylor finally has done) which resulted in a very young team going 1-15. 

Taylor will get his 3rd year so we shall see. Johnson was 11-5 year 3 with a wildcard game win.  I will sign up for that. 12-5 or 11-6 works.   

37 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Jimmy Johnson had 10 years of head coaching experience in college to include 1 National Championship at Miami.  

He also came into Dallas with a plan and a very experienced coaching staff. He had to dump a bunch of aging vets (something Taylor finally has done) which resulted in a very young team going 1-15. 

Taylor will get his 3rd year so we shall see. Johnson was 11-5 year 3 with a wildcard game win.  I will sign up for that. 12-5 or 11-6 works.   

I know 2015 isn't THAT long ago...but I still cant even imagine the exhilaration of reaching 11 or even 12 wins again, would sure be something.

1 hour ago, Griever said:

I know 2015 isn't THAT long ago...but I still cant even imagine the exhilaration of reaching 11 or even 12 wins again, would sure be something.

Hell, I would be happy with 8!  A significant step forward for a team that has been as bad as the Bengals.  

Jury is still out imho

Season 1 he lost his #1 draft pick and had Andy Dalton as a the starting QB

Season 2 Burrow's rookie season, not much expectations still filling out the roster, Burrow goes down

I think this season is the prove it season imho

The way I see it…that offense looked unstoppable at times last year with a rookie JB behind center. Even with shitty Brandon Allen in there they had some pretty good moments as an offense. That, to me, doesn’t scream “unqualified”. 
There’s also something to be said about the fact that, to a man, every player on the team seems to genuinely like/respect the guy.

On 7/1/2021 at 8:54 PM, BlackJesus said:

Lol @ comparing Zac to Jimmy J, they have nothing in common. JJ was a national champion HC at da U before joined the Boys, Taylor has zero HC experience. 

As for what Taylor deserves, well thats easy...he deserves to be fired. Taylor is arguably one of the worst coaches in the history of the NFL. 

The numbers dont lie, despite his likeability, Taylor is an abysmal HC.

23 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Mike Lombardi is a putz who lives off his family name.

If his name was Mike Baggadonuts he would be washing dishes at Ray's Chili Parlor in Norwood.

Fuck him.

I back Zac.

My cousin works at Rays Chili Parlor, its honest work for good pay plus the free oyster crackers are a nice bonus.

Taylor was CLEARLY over his head in year 1, looked like it in year 2 but perhaps less so. We will see what happens now. 

When it comes to Lombardi I always liked when the Rock interviews people in the WWE , asked them their names and just when they were about to answer he would yell “It doesn’t matter what your name is”

On 7/3/2021 at 4:26 PM, PatternMaster said:

Maybe, thats a mystery my friend......

But the next time your at Rays stay away from the 6-way cause my cousin Mike is pissed after what I told him you said about him

:ninja:

THE REAL Ray's Chili Parlor in Norwood...

A legend from my childhood... well, grade school on.

The building no longer exists.  Demolished decades ago for a bizarre attempt at a shopping mall.

Ray's closed years before that and was closed numerous times while in operation (and causing them)

by the Norwood Board of Health.

Every kid in Norwood could spell "Ptomaine" before we could spell "Cincinnati" because of Ray's.

no :ninja: 

As a P.S., I got my COVID shots very close to where it used to be.

It seems the plan when they hired Zac was to get him early.  I think they knew there would be growing pains.  He seems to have excellent people skills, and Burrow believes in him.  This will be a pivotal season though.

2 hours ago, Jason said:

It seems the plan when they hired Zac was to get him early.  I think they knew there would be growing pains.  He seems to have excellent people skills, and Burrow believes in him.  This will be a pivotal season though.

Indeed, at some point the various positives regarding Zac must start translating to wins. Year three is going to be the true test. Until then, I default back to Parcells, "you are what your record says you are". He MUST turn that glaring 6-25-1 around. I don't know how true this is but I read somewhere that Zac has a guaranteed 5 year contract?? Mikey doesn't like paying people to not work but one would think Zac needs to at the very least equal his win total from the past two years this year to stick around. Do I think this team can win a SB this year? Hell no. But I'd like to think the team has enough talent to win 6+ games. If that cannot be done, Idk how Mikey can remain "bullish" on the future of this team under the direction of his young head coach he was hoping to catch lightning in a bottle with.

As usual, Mike Brown tries to imitate his father.  Paul Brown was a smart football man and knew talent, players and coaches.  It's why he put up with Bill Walsh even though it was reported that they argued constantly.  It's why he hired Sam Wyche and put up with his off the field shenanigans for quite a while.  As we all know Mike Brown does not have his father's eye for talent.  Trying to find the next brilliant young coach has gotten the Bengals Mike Shula and now Zac Taylor.  This year will tell us what Taylor is...the next brilliant young coach, or the next Mike Brown failure.  I'm hoping for the former, but expecting the latter.

3 hours ago, Griever said:

I don't know how true this is but I read somewhere that Zac has a guaranteed 5 year contract??

All coach contracts are guaranteed unless they resign is my understanding. As for wins, barring another rash of injuries, or a truly horrible defense I think he needs 8 this season. 

Yeah I think as long as JB is healthy and plays the entire season, this is a 8 win team at worst. They obviously still have a few holes in their roster but elite QB play can make up for a lot of ills….and if he’s healthy, he’s elite. 

Archived