Cincinnati named worst travel destination for fans

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2021/07/10/cincinnati-bengals-nfl-worst-travel-destination-fans/

Where does the city of Cincinnati rank as far as NFL fan experiences goes?

According to one writer, the home of the Bengals ranks dead last of all NFL locales.

Ben Volin of the Boston Globe set out to rank every NFL destination in the country and slapped the Bengals last, writing the following:

30. Cincinnati: The ribs at Montgomery Inn are great. And you can stay across the river in Covington to cross Kentucky off your list of states visited. But there’s not much going on in downtown Cincinnati, the stadium has no tailgating space, and Bengals games are rarely exciting.

This is the sort of offseason list that generates controversy, of course. While Bengals fans and others rightfully have their gripes with the overall experience and personality of Paul Brown Stadium itself, ranking it dead last seems like quite an exaggeration.

Keep in mind something here — writers show up, get a hotel, eat, cover a game and leave. Unless the author spent expansive time in the local area, he or she only gets a snapshot of what a city has to offer before going back home.

Still, it’s odd to see Cincinnati land last and makes for an interesting summer conversation, if nothing else.

Two years ago I attended a home game against the Jags with my girlfriend. We lost. But we loved Cincinnati. We spent time at the Zoo, the Aquarium in KY, went to a bunch of restaurants downtown. What more do fans want? We had a great time, aside from the loss that is.

That was written either by someone who has never been to Cincinnati or someone who hasn't been there in 25 years. Over-the-Rhine by itself is a kickass downtown neighborhood w/ so much to do. The Banks. That awesome riverfront park now. Plenty of room for tailgating. It's just...always easier for people to crap on Cincinnati than actually notice it. The difference downtown as compared to, say, 1994, is night and day. 

Agree with both of you.

WTF is that fool looking for?  Ruth's Christ and Mortons a quick easy walk, Ruby's downtown restaurant a bit farther.

Other very nice places around and in between but son and I are steak guys and hit one after almost every home game.

The Banks is virtually attached to PBS with all the fol-de-rol one who is into that kind of thing could ask for.

PLUS... I feel safe in that pocket around PBS.  I don't think you could say that about a number of the others.

Let me guess, he thinks Green Bay is super awesome and Lambeau Field is the best.  Let you in on a little secret, ITS A DUMP. Nobody gives a shit Bart Starr and Vince Lombardi once won a game when it was cold 55 years ago.  Lambeau reminds my of Notre Dame’s stadium which is an old concrete dump.  “But the history SF2, the history!”  

Cleveland is awful but at least the stadium is actually in Cleveland. Stadium is pretty nice though.   Detroit, awful.  Miami/ Hard Rock stadium is 6 miles from Miami.  The Jets and Giants play in East Rutherford New Jersey, which sucks and can take an hour to get to on game day from New York. 

10 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Let me guess, he thinks Green Bay is super awesome and Lambeau Field is the best.  Let you in on a little secret, ITS A DUMP. Nobody gives a shit Bart Starr and Vince Lombardi once won a game when it was cold 55 years ago.  Lambeau reminds my of Notre Dame’s stadium which is an old concrete dump.  “But the history SF2, the history!”  

Cleveland is awful but at least the stadium is actually in Cleveland. Stadium is pretty nice though.   Detroit, awful.  Miami/ Hard Rock stadium is 6 miles from Miami.  The Jets and Giants play in East Rutherford New Jersey, which sucks and can take an hour to get to on game day from New York. 

No, Lambeau isn't fancy, but sight lines are pretty damned good.  The place is surrounded by old motels and bars.  If you want to party and go to a football game with your buddies I can't think of a better place.  I've not been there for a game yet....on my bucket list.  I don't care for the fancy stadiums with $15 beer and stupid expensive food.  To each his own I suppose. 

I'm not sure why people read the drivel these talking heads spew.  Have any of you seen Patriot Place south of Boston?  I'm sure it makes tons of money for Kraft, but what an awful place for a game.  Traffic is bad around there normally, I can't imagine what it's like on game day.  It's at least 30-45 minutes on a regular day from inner-city Boston and the food available in that area is not good.  Cincinnati would be worlds better than that money pit.

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

No, Lambeau isn't fancy, but sight lines are pretty damned good.  The place is surrounded by old motels and bars.  If you want to party and go to a football game with your buddies I can't think of a better place.  I've not been there for a game yet....on my bucket list.  I don't care for the fancy stadiums with $15 beer and stupid expensive food.  To each his own I suppose. 

I'm not sure why people read the drivel these talking heads spew.  Have any of you seen Patriot Place south of Boston?  I'm sure it makes tons of money for Kraft, but what an awful place for a game.  Traffic is bad around there normally, I can't imagine what it's like on game day.  It's at least 30-45 minutes on a regular day from inner-city Boston and the food available in that area is not good.  Cincinnati would be worlds better than that money pit.

I forgot about Foxboro. You are right, that area and stadium suck.  Shit reminds me of Denver’s airport which is 20 miles from Denver.  

Oakland would have easily made the list.  

9 hours ago, SF2 said:

"The best thing about Green Bay is there's a bar and tavern on every corner.

And I don't go to church."

Former Green Bay Packer OG and DT two way player and professional wrestler (and HSH's childhood hero and ideal) Dick the Bruiserimage.thumb.png.7b83cdb120ba678929d2a11e8f55de18.png

image.png.a275fbc60bde0fdaba5c46316dfc52c1.png

The fact that he ranked Buffalo in the Top 5 proves he's a no nothing. There is NOTHING around Highmark Stadium and the stadium itself is a bag of crap. Throw in that Buffalo is one of the ugliest and saddest cities I've ever been in is enough for me to discount the guy. I've been to over a dozen NFL "destinations" over the years including Cincinnati. Cincinnati is not the worst by a long shot.

I'm looking forward to seeing what football in Las Vegas is like in the Fall.

I didn't look at the full ranking, but WFT's current stadium at FedEx Field is literally near...nothing. It is in a sea of parking lots off of I-495 in suburban Maryland.  The Linc in Philly is similar.  Here in Baltimore a pub area is a little more walkable but not right beside the stadium like the Banks is.  It was the "nothing to do" point that was so misplaced. 

I've never been to a Stealers game, but downtown Pittsburgh is pretty cool.  The Pirates ball park is awesome.  Penguins barn is too.  Can walk from downtown.  Kind of like Cincinnati to be honest. 

<ducks incoming projectiles>

Just another obvious Nati hate piece. I'm pretty sure there's a contest in the media to see who can bash the town the most.

PBS has to be one of the easiest, cheapest commutes in the league. How many stadiums can you pay 5 to 10 bucks for parking or even street park and walk a few blocks. He mentioned staying at a hotel downtown and walking to the game as a perk for another stadium. Hello?!!??

And there is plenty of tailgating. It's pretty hard to miss Longworth if he was looking for it. 

And last, as mentioned before, he must have been talking about the Riverfront era when he said there is nothing to do. There is obviously plenty now.

Me and my son's annual pre-season game ritual: Park by the library for 10 bucks, eat at Mercado, walk to the stadium.

On 7/12/2021 at 11:44 AM, BengalFanInTO said:

I'm looking forward to seeing what football in Las Vegas is like in the Fall.

Hookers considered as concessions?

Boy, if Cincy did that it would sure make ordering a 3 way a lot more interesting.  :ninja:

Contrary to popular belief, prostitution is just as illegal in Las Vegas as it is in Cincinnati. 

Need to cross the county line and head into the thriving burg of Pahrump before one can find the legal places. 

Where Allegiant Stadium sits, was historically vacant lots, old motels, and warehouses. The wondrous Strip is close—but separated from the stadium by 8 or God-knows-how-many asphalt lanes of Interstate 15. There will be a pedestrian walkway from Las Vegas Blvd across I-15, but it will not be a short walk. Parking will supposedly be abundant around the stadium, however driving will entail either entering/exiting off I-15 (a nightmare at even 3am), or traversing the perpetually jammed surface roads (stay off of Tropicana at all costs). Lots of taxis, of course—but they can get stuck in traffic too. Reportedly, the monorail will be servicing the stadium too. It is the most functional of LV transit. 

Here is a report from the local TV as to the traffic disaster for the Garth Brooks concert the other day: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.8newsnow.com/news/local-news/allegiant-nightmare-concertgoers-talk-issues-with-stadium-parking-transport/amp/

Happily, Clark County has been pushing ahead with “Fan Experience” areas around the stadium—looks to be sort of like the Banks. A few years off though. In the meantime, they have pepped up the immediate stadium area:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/nfl/afc-west/las-vegas-raiders/las-vegas-raiders-allegiant-stadium-wynn-field-club/amp

All in all, Vegas is Vegas. No one will not find something to do/eat/drink/fill-in-the blank. Having lived there, I can tell you there are a whole lot more things to do than hang around the Strip. But LV is a large area and takes a lot of time to get around, so go with what made it famous I guess. 

Well from an international perspective I've been to Cincy 5 times, Buffalo and Shittsburgh once each and I've always enjoyed my time in Cincy.  It maybe wasn't that exciting 20 years ago on my first trip but since then the river area has become really wonderful and I've discovered lots of cools things to do each time.

Buffalo was a yawn and Shittsburgh didn't really have an atmosphere outside of that one cool square with all the restaurants.

And of course in Cincy, I've seen the games and hung out with some really good mates!

https://www.fox19.com/2021/07/13/cincinnati-earns-top-50-spot-best-places-live-rankings/

Cincinnati also lands a spot in the Top 50 places to live.  Number 44 of 150 places listed.

Didn't read the full list but ranked above are Denver, San Francisco (?), several others including Green Bay

but considering the way things are today, I have real questions about several.

15 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Contrary to popular belief, prostitution is just as illegal in Las Vegas as it is in Cincinnati. 

Need to cross the county line and head into the thriving burg of Pahrump before one can find the legal places. 

Where Allegiant Stadium sits, was historically vacant lots, old motels, and warehouses. The wondrous Strip is close—but separated from the stadium by 8 or God-knows-how-many asphalt lanes of Interstate 15. There will be a pedestrian walkway from Las Vegas Blvd across I-15, but it will not be a short walk. Parking will supposedly be abundant around the stadium, however driving will entail either entering/exiting off I-15 (a nightmare at even 3am), or traversing the perpetually jammed surface roads (stay off of Tropicana at all costs). Lots of taxis, of course—but they can get stuck in traffic too. Reportedly, the monorail will be servicing the stadium too. It is the most functional of LV transit. 

Here is a report from the local TV as to the traffic disaster for the Garth Brooks concert the other day: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.8newsnow.com/news/local-news/allegiant-nightmare-concertgoers-talk-issues-with-stadium-parking-transport/amp/

Happily, Clark County has been pushing ahead with “Fan Experience” areas around the stadium—looks to be sort of like the Banks. A few years off though. In the meantime, they have pepped up the immediate stadium area:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thespun.com/nfl/afc-west/las-vegas-raiders/las-vegas-raiders-allegiant-stadium-wynn-field-club/amp

All in all, Vegas is Vegas. No one will not find something to do/eat/drink/fill-in-the blank. Having lived there, I can tell you there are a whole lot more things to do than hang around the Strip. But LV is a large area and takes a lot of time to get around, so go with what made it famous I guess. 

Good info to have. Thanks! I am planning on being at the game in November. I am thinking I will likely walk. It appears to be about a mile from Mandalay Bay on foot which is reasonable. Monorail is another option if it's ready as I always get a three day pass while in Vegas to easily travel the Strip.

Archived