Cincinnati named worst travel destination for fans

6 hours ago, High School Harry said:

https://www.fox19.com/2021/07/13/cincinnati-earns-top-50-spot-best-places-live-rankings/

Cincinnati also lands a spot in the Top 50 places to live.  Number 44 of 150 places listed.

Didn't read the full list but ranked above are Denver, San Francisco (?), several others including Green Bay

but considering the way things are today, I have real questions about several.

I see what you mean.  They have Portland Oregon as 10 best.......

3 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Good info to have. Thanks! I am planning on being at the game in November. I am thinking I will likely walk. It appears to be about a mile from Mandalay Bay on foot which is reasonable. Monorail is another option if it's ready as I always get a three day pass while in Vegas to easily travel the Strip.

Feel free to hit me up with any questions you might have. I haven’t lived there in a couple of years, but the place hasn’t changed that much—and I still have mates out there who are on top of everything going on. 

On 7/12/2021 at 6:35 AM, High School Harry said:

"The best thing about Green Bay is there's a bar and tavern on every corner.

And I don't go to church."

Former Green Bay Packer OG and DT two way player and professional wrestler (and HSH's childhood hero and ideal) Dick the Bruiserimage.thumb.png.7b83cdb120ba678929d2a11e8f55de18.png

image.png.a275fbc60bde0fdaba5c46316dfc52c1.png

Fun fact...I used to cut his grass as a young lad in Indy before he died, he was a great guy. 

I have been to several away games in different cities as I planned business trips as best I could to stay over and attend. Best city? It depends on what you are looking for. There are great restaurants, hotels and fan fun areas in all cities. I judge by the fan atmosphere. The best fan experience was in Green Bay. I attended wearing my Bengals jersey (#11 SHIPLEY) and all of the ribbing was good natured and they took as well as they gave. Tailgaters offered me food and drink with a smile.  I treated them respectfully and they did in turn.

The worst was in Pittsburgh about 20 years or so ago. Yes, I wore a Bengals jersey and I had several issues. As I left with a friend, an old Army bud, we were accosted in the parking garage and we, not them, were arrested but fortunately the Stealers guys didn't press charges. My bud is a certified bad a*s and while I held my own he did some damage. I don't think the guy he responded to went straight home. But the best thing was eating at a restaurant called Delucas  which is known for it breakfasts. It was amazing. I'm not sure it they are still there now. The next worse was Cleveland because - well - its Cleveland. Never been to Baltimore but I have heard things. Cincy? I would put them closer to the middle.  

On 7/14/2021 at 4:30 PM, PatternMaster said:

Whats wrong with Portland

Nothing.  You can work across the river in Washington State and pay no income tax and cross back into Oregon and pay no sales tax. Win win.  

12 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

They've got some primo smoke out there as well...not to hot or cold..A lot to like about Portland.

Well, the shootings out there have been crazy.  They almost tripled in 2020 when the rest of the country dropped due to COVID.  Heading toward another record this year.  You can blame either side you want, but any way about it that's not good. 

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Well, the shootings out there have been crazy.  They almost tripled in 2020 when the rest of the country dropped due to COVID.  Heading toward another record this year.  You can blame either side you want, but any way about it that's not good. 

The homicide rate in Portland isn’t even in the top 65.  Akron, Toledo, Cincy, Cleveland and Dayton have way higher homicide rates.  

When you have an extremely low homicide rate to begin with, a few more killings look bad percentage wise. 

4 hours ago, SF2 said:

The homicide rate in Portland isn’t even in the top 65.  Akron, Toledo, Cincy, Cleveland and Dayton have way higher homicide rates.  

When you have an extremely low homicide rate to begin with, a few more killings look bad percentage wise. 

Check out current events in Portland.  You may not think it's a big deal but the locals sure do.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/the-story/portland-gun-violence-historic-levels-what-are-solutions-the-story/283-18a20c88-8760-4386-979b-dab9d8330700

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/in-portland-shootings-and-homicides-soar-as-black-activists-take-to-the-streets-in-protest-of-the-violence/

5 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

The downtown wackos (who have been there since forever) don’t shoot weapons. They’ll just chase you around on skateboards and use leaf blowers. 

A beautiful city….I have spent more time than I can count there over many decades. Paternal ancestry in OR goes back to pioneer days. 

Someone is shooting weapons, or all those statistics are BS. 

27 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Let’s put it perspective:  Detroit, Nashville and Portland have almost the same population.  In 2020 Portland had 55 homicides, Nashville 107, Detroit had 327. 

Don’t get me wrong, people live there to stay away from violence so a large uptick for them still sucks.  

10 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Let’s put it perspective:  Detroit, Nashville and Portland have almost the same population.  In 2020 Portland had 55 homicides, Nashville 107, Detroit had 327. 

Don’t get me wrong, people live there to stay away from violence so a large uptick for them still sucks.  

All the same things are pretty chaotic in Portland right now.  Yes, there are more violent cities, but when someone asks "what's wrong with Portland?" you shouldn't act like things are going smoothly there.  They have some issues to deal with right now.

33 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

All the same things are pretty chaotic in Portland right now.  Yes, there are more violent cities, but when someone asks "what's wrong with Portland?" you shouldn't act like things are going smoothly there.  They have some issues to deal with right now.

Everyplace has issues, Portland’s are significantly less than most cities especially on the crime front. 

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Portland has regular protests/riots in its downtown business district. That's why the local are upset. Their small businesses are at risk. 

I know. My closet friend lives and works there.  Could have been taken care of a year ago but the Mayor didn’t want to piss anyone off.  

Cincinnati is one of the worst NFL cities out there.  The team isn't that great so you aren't going to be watching any superstars on another team, the stadium food is garbage, and the city is fairly boring.  If you don't spend a day of your life in Cincinnati, have you really missed anything? Nope.

That being said, the following are likely worse:

Indianapolis - indoors and dull city

Jacksonville - horrible city

Cleveland - a crappier version of Cincinnati

Atlanta - indoors problem and a sterile city

Charlotte - boring city

That's about it. 

On 7/14/2021 at 11:18 AM, BengalFanInTO said:

Good info to have. Thanks! I am planning on being at the game in November. I am thinking I will likely walk. It appears to be about a mile from Mandalay Bay on foot which is reasonable. Monorail is another option if it's ready as I always get a three day pass while in Vegas to easily travel the Strip.

There is a chance I may be in Vegas for that. 

6 hours ago, SF2 said:

Everyplace has issues, Portland’s are significantly less than most cities especially on the crime front. 

I was just out there for vacation and most of my family lives in Portland/immediate area (many friends have migrated out there as well). Seems to have fewer issues than many cities I have been to.  Only thing of note this last visit was an uptick in homeless (that is not limited to Portland sadly).

8 hours ago, tibor75 said:

Cincinnati is one of the worst NFL cities out there.  The team isn't that great so you aren't going to be watching any superstars on another team, the stadium food is garbage, and the city is fairly boring.  If you don't spend a day of your life in Cincinnati, have you really missed anything? Nope.

That being said, the following are likely worse:

Indianapolis - indoors and dull city

Jacksonville - horrible city

Cleveland - a crappier version of Cincinnati

Atlanta - indoors problem and a sterile city

Charlotte - boring city

That's about it. 

Well, aren't you the little ray of sunshine?

:ninja:

Archived