Cincinnati named worst travel destination for fans

10 hours ago, Montana Bengal said:

I was just out there for vacation and most of my family lives in Portland/immediate area (many friends have migrated out there as well). Seems to have fewer issues than many cities I have been to.  Only thing of note this last visit was an uptick in homeless (that is not limited to Portland sadly).

I've started noticing tents set up in a few places in DC. Once this eviction moratorium is up it could get even worse.

10 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I've started noticing tents set up in a few places in DC. Once this eviction moratorium is up it could get even worse.

It's crazy.  There are billions of dollars out there for rent relief, but people don't know how to get it.  North Carolina alone has $800M to spend in the HOPE program. 

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

It's crazy.  There are billions of dollars out there for rent relief, but people don't know how to get it.  North Carolina alone has $800M to spend in the HOPE program. 

Same thing happened at least initially with the unemployment when this whole thing started, people were on the phone for hours. 

On 7/19/2021 at 8:49 PM, tibor75 said:

Cincinnati is one of the worst NFL cities out there.  The team isn't that great so you aren't going to be watching any superstars on another team, the stadium food is garbage, and the city is fairly boring.  If you don't spend a day of your life in Cincinnati, have you really missed anything? Nope.

That being said, the following are likely worse:

Indianapolis - indoors and dull city

Jacksonville - horrible city

Cleveland - a crappier version of Cincinnati

Atlanta - indoors problem and a sterile city

Charlotte - boring city

That's about it. 

So you think every team we play starts their backups when they come to Cincy?   Don’t think so.

And the food is fine, what are you looking for at a stadium, Jeff Ruby’s?  You want good food go to a Dayton Dragon’s game.  

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

So you think every team we play starts their backups when they come to Cincy?   Don’t think so.

And the food is fine, what are you looking for at a stadium, Jeff Ruby’s?  You want good food go to a Dayton Dragon’s game.  

Probably my favorite food at a stadium is Camden Yards, the Orioles, they have this Crab Mac n' Cheese that is amazing. 

National's Stadium is also pretty good in that they have this Tater Tot place that is also amazing.

Everyone I've even known that's been to Cincy thinks it s a nice place. Over the years, during my periodic visits, I saw the places sprout up on the river by the stadium - and it was always packed.

The only gripe I ever had was when we'd go out the night before the game, More than once we'd go walking around downtown to find a nice bar with friendly people to mingle with, and struck out every time. There was a music venue that the volume was cranked so loud everything was distorted... then we found some hipster place up by over the rhine which was weird. Never did find just a chill place to hang. Although the mechanical bull was fun to watch when that place was Cadillac Ranch.

3 hours ago, Cat said:

Everyone I've even known that's been to Cincy thinks it s a nice place. Over the years, during my periodic visits, I saw the places sprout up on the river by the stadium - and it was always packed.

The only gripe I ever had was when we'd go out the night before the game, More than once we'd go walking around downtown to find a nice bar with friendly people to mingle with, and struck out every time. There was a music venue that the volume was cranked so loud everything was distorted... then we found some hipster place up by over the rhine which was weird. Never did find just a chill place to hang. Although the mechanical bull was fun to watch when that place was Cadillac Ranch.

Probably the best spots for night before would be over the bridge in Kentucky. Lots of nice, fairly quiet, places there with pretty good people. Molly Malone's in Covington is one of my favorites (soccer bar, but they promote Bengals as well), great beer, good food. good people (both fans and staff)

15 hours ago, SF2 said:

The food is shit.  The hot dogs and brats are among the most disgusting I've ever eaten.  The fact that people think Jeff Ruby's is anything shows how horrible Cincinnati is.  Ruby's would be considered crap in most real cities.  But you are right, unlike baseball, food at a football game isn't as important.  But it still sucks and reinforces that there is nothing positive about the Paul Brown Stadium experience.  Bad food, bad scoreboard, bad team, bad city.  Easy one of the worst travel destinations.  But not the very worst as at least you can be outdoors and experience the elements.

Of course teams don't play backups.  But the article asks which cities would you want to travel to.  If you are a fan of Tampa Bay, you obviously don't care about going to Cincinnati to see Tom Brady.   You can see him anywhere else.   The only legendary player in Bengal history is Anthony Munoz.  And he's an OL.  Heck, even though the Lions are just as horrible historically as the Bengals, if you went to a game back in the day, you could say you saw Barry Sanders.  Bengals have nobody even close to that in their 50 year history. 

14 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

Probably my favorite food at a stadium is Camden Yards, the Orioles, they have this Crab Mac n' Cheese that is amazing. 

National's Stadium is also pretty good in that they have this Tater Tot place that is also amazing.

Have you been to Stuggy's?  The one at Camden isn't anything special but their dogs at Fells Point are amazing.

Best Camden food I've had is crab dip waffle fries. 

A shout-out for the hometown of Columbus. 

There is a rather nice triumvirate of stadia downtown, and the accompanying creature comforts thereto. 

One may not like hockey, AAA baseball, or footy, but these are quality venues, and the district was built with the spectator in mind. 

9 hours ago, tibor75 said:

The food is shit.  The hot dogs and brats are among the most disgusting I've ever eaten.  The fact that people think Jeff Ruby's is anything shows how horrible Cincinnati is.  Ruby's would be considered crap in most real cities.  But you are right, unlike baseball, food at a football game isn't as important.  But it still sucks and reinforces that there is nothing positive about the Paul Brown Stadium experience.  Bad food, bad scoreboard, bad team, bad city.  Easy one of the worst travel destinations.  But not the very worst as at least you can be outdoors and experience the elements.

Of course teams don't play backups.  But the article asks which cities would you want to travel to.  If you are a fan of Tampa Bay, you obviously don't care about going to Cincinnati to see Tom Brady.   You can see him anywhere else.   The only legendary player in Bengal history is Anthony Munoz.  And he's an OL.  Heck, even though the Lions are just as horrible historically as the Bengals, if you went to a game back in the day, you could say you saw Barry Sanders.  Bengals have nobody even close to that in their 50 year history. 

As someone who has been to steakhouses all over this country, Jeff Ruby's is just fine.  They all use prime beef and the same machine to cook them.  Unless they screw it up it's all about the sides, atmosphere, drinks, etc.  One of the best steakhouse experiences I've had was at The Precinct.  I would say it's my second favorite steakhouse to Keen's in Manhattan.

As far as bars before the game doesn't anyone go to Arnold's anymore?  It used to be a good spot for food, drinks and some history.  You may want a cab/uber from a hotel if you don't like a longer walk downtown.  That or cab it up to Mt. Adams.  Is that place dead now too?  The Blind Lemon is a classic quiet little bar often with some good jazz. 

Cincinnati isn't much of a tourist town, but if you know what you're doing there is some cool stuff.

13 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

As someone who has been to steakhouses all over this country, Jeff Ruby's is just fine.  They all use prime beef and the same machine to cook them.  Unless they screw it up it's all about the sides, atmosphere, drinks, etc.  One of the best steakhouse experiences I've had was at The Precinct.  I would say it's my second favorite steakhouse to Keen's in Manhattan.

As far as bars before the game doesn't anyone go to Arnold's anymore?  It used to be a good spot for food, drinks and some history.  You may want a cab/uber from a hotel if you don't like a longer walk downtown.  That or cab it up to Mt. Adams.  Is that place dead now too?  The Blind Lemon is a classic quiet little bar often with some good jazz. 

Cincinnati isn't much of a tourist town, but if you know what you're doing there is some cool stuff.

Big facts....there's some nice rooftop bars and good eats in the Banks, Downtown, and OTR to make it a nice weekend to watch a game. 

Just now, PatternMaster said:

Big facts....there's some nice rooftop bars and good eats in the Banks, Downtown, and OTR to make it a nice weekend to watch a game. 

My weekend would look like this:

Saturday night:  Reservations at The Precinct.  Drinks in Mt. Adams or at Arnolds.

Sunday Morning:  Reservations for breakfast at A Taste of Belgium in OTR.  Crazy good.

Sunday Night:  Maybe a little tougher.  Arnolds probably low key, so maybe cruise the Banks or more likely go get some sleep because I've been drinking all day. 

A good time can be had, but you can't just walk around and find it. 

12 hours ago, tibor75 said:

Have you been to Stuggy's?  The one at Camden isn't anything special but their dogs at Fells Point are amazing.

Best Camden food I've had is crab dip waffle fries. 

No, I havent. I rarely go up to Baltimore but Ill have to try to remember that for the next time.

10 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Saturday night:  Reservations at The Precinct.  Drinks in Mt. Adams or at Arnolds.

Sunday Morning:  Reservations for breakfast at A Taste of Belgium in OTR.  Crazy good.

Sunday Night:  Maybe a little tougher.  Arnolds probably low key, so maybe cruise the Banks or more likely go get some sleep because I've been drinking all day. 

Good luck getting reservations at The Precinct on a Saturday night unless you book many months

ahead.  

There's A Taste of Belgium at the Banks, too.  I pass it every time I go to a Bengals game.

Ruth's Christ is down there, too.

There's a Port-O-Potty at the construction site just east of The Banks.

Its called A Taste of Pittsburgh.  Very popular with the visiting gapers 

when the Stealers are in town.

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Good luck getting reservations at The Precinct on a Saturday night unless you book many months

ahead.  

There's A Taste of Belgium at the Banks, too.  I pass it every time I go to a Bengals game.

Ruth's Christ is down there, too.

There's a Port-O-Potty at the construction site just east of The Banks.

Its called A Taste of Pittsburgh.  Very popular with the visiting gapers 

when the Stealers are in town.

If I were coming in for a Bengals game I would book all of it months in advance. 

Just my personal preference for the OTR Taste of Belgium. 

All this talk is making me think it may be time for my return to PBS after a long, long absence. 

17 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Saturday night for me would either be Rooftop at the Phelps or the Eagle, depending on the weather. After the game, the Pontiac is a good option

2 hours ago, PatternMaster said:

Saturday night for me would either be Rooftop at the Phelps or the Eagle, depending on the weather. After the game, the Pontiac is a good option

I've been gone from Cincinnati for so long I only know the old school places. 

I'm coming back for a weekend either this season or next.  I may have to hit you guys up for some recommendations.

On 7/23/2021 at 4:44 AM, UncleEarl said:

I've been gone from Cincinnati for so long I only know the old school places. 

I'm coming back for a weekend either this season or next.  I may have to hit you guys up for some recommendations.

There are a lot of newer places in OTR and the Banks. A few great breweries and Findlay market is a good place to go during the day as well.

On 7/23/2021 at 8:56 AM, PatternMaster said:

There are a lot if newer places in OTR and the Banks. A few great breweries and Findlay market is a good place to go during the day as well.

There is a fantastic gyro place in Findlay Market. And Eli's is a popular place for barbecue. Then you can walk around the corner to Rhinegeist. Assuming they are back to being fully operational.

On 7/22/2021 at 8:55 AM, UncleEarl said:

One of my favorite places, a block up from the Precinct, is Allyn's Cafe, cajun.

3 hours ago, Hooky said:

There is a fantastic gyro place in Findlay Market. And Eli's is a popular place for barbecue. Then you can walk around the corner to Rhinegeist. Assuming they are back to being fully operational.

Findlay market has too many great options and Eli's has the best ribs in the city...Saturday afternoons at Findlay market is a good way to spend the day

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

Findlay market has too many great options and Eli's has the best ribs in the city...Saturday afternoons at Findlay market is a good way to spend the day

I used to work a couple of blocks away and would walk there every Friday for lunch. I also liked the Chipotle type place. And they have fish, unlike Chipotle. And there's a place that has goetta egg rolls next door.

Archived