2021 Training Camp and Pre-Season News Thread and chatter

A few random thoughts from me after perusing the tweets, vids/pics from practice day 1:

---heartening to see how much Chase looks the part from the jump
---the videos that I could find of the DBs were also heartening - Wayans moves well. So does Awuzie
---I am glad they are not rushing Carmen at RG - right call to let him get his feet wet and push for the spot
---Still can't believe how good Burrow looks and that he is fully back
---Mixon looks smooth and fast early

12 hours ago, membengal said:

Thanks Griever for picking it up.

here’s another note of interest…

I don't know if that means the Dline is going to be good or if the Oline hasnt improved. Let's hope for the former.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

I don't know if that means the Dline is going to be good or if the Oline hasnt improved. Let's hope for the former.

I am always torn when watching in-team scrimmages, as a really good play by the offense was more than likely a bad play by the defense…OR a hard-charging defender that would have normally leveled the QB pulled up to keep from hitting the guy in the orange jersey (QB).  The latter happened multiple times in the last scrimmage I saw two or three years ago.

But it’s especially hard to draw ANY conclusions in “underwear ball.”  

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Fwiw, I can't stand the reaction that good news in camp for one guy is bad news for another (not saying you are doing that). Like, if Chase goes off someone will say "that must mean Awuzie sucks" or if Wayans gets a few picks someone will say "why can't chase get open"?  I think it's good news that Hendrickson and Ossai pass the initial eye test. I didn't hear any observers there say that Reiff or Jonah looked bad etc. I don't know that you can draw a negative from a positive in this case. 

1 minute ago, membengal said:

Fwiw, I can't stand the reaction that good news in camp for one guy is bad news for another (not saying you are doing that). Like, if Chase goes off someone will say "that must mean Awuzie sucks" or if Wayans gets a few picks someone will say "why can't chase get open"?  I think it's good news that Hendrickson and Ossai pass the initial eye test. I didn't hear any observers there say that Reiff or Jonah looked bad etc. I don't know that you can draw a negative from a positive in this case. 

My point is camp doesn't really show us anything, we need to see it in live competition. 

8 minutes ago, Cricket said:

I am always torn when watching in-team scrimmages, as a really good play by the offense was more than likely a bad play by the defense…OR a hard-charging defender that would have normally leveled the QB pulled up to keep from hitting the guy in the orange jersey (QB).  The latter happened multiple times in the last scrimmage I saw two or three years ago.

But it’s especially hard to draw ANY conclusions in “underwear ball.”  

Yup

9 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

My point is camp doesn't really show us anything, we need to see it in live competition. 

I mean, yeah, not sure anyone was or is saying different when they report obs from camp. Should we not look at the obs and chat about them?

Just now, membengal said:

I mean, yeah, not sure anyone was or is saying different when they report obs from camp. Should we not look at the obs and chat about them?

Of course not, it's all fun to read, I'm simply saying that we don't really know what to make of things just yet.

If you all want to hear unfiltered Lap, he did a 17 minute In the Trenches of just Lap talking about the day. There's a LOT to sort through here - the o-line talk was of extra interest to me - Pollack "old school" and will make Carmen earn his way onto the field I am all for that:

Archived