2021 Opponents news thread

20 hours ago, sparky151 said:

There seems to be a massive overreaction to the video of Meyer sitting at the bar of a restaurant he owns. Some babe is dancing against him and he clearly doesn't mind. But so what? He'd given the team the weekend off after the Thursday night game. That's pretty common. High status male attracts beautiful younger woman? That's pretty common too. 

The media proclaims he's lost the trust of his players. Why? 

A lot of reasons. 

1.  He's a college coach which rarely have success in the NFL.

2.  He insisted on bringing in a strength and conditioning coach with a racist past.

3.  He brought in Tim Tebow to compete for a position he's never played and Tebow hadn't been in the league for years.

4.  Drafts a RB in the first round when they have James Robinson.

There is more, but then you get caught doing stupid shit after not flying home with the team.

They have plenty of reasons to think Meyer is an enormous tool. 

On 10/5/2021 at 4:28 PM, SF2 said:

I don’t think grifter is the right term. Chase Daniel is a grifter. Lifetime record as a starting QB of 2-3 in 13 years. 1,694 total yards passing. He has made $39 million.  

I would describe Urban using the old school word CAD.  By the way, his wife is pretty cool or at least she was to us last year in Siesta Key. 

EDIT: Just another reason to smoke weed or vape instead of getting drunk.  

It's neither here nor there whether his wife is cool or a hell raiser. I'm sure David Shula's wife was a wonderful hostess.

Urban Meyer's contract has been hush hush. Any word on money and terms?

This site pegs his contract at $12mill/yr. I'd be surprised if he's making more than Gruden

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-urban-meyer-contract-how-much-jaguars-head-coach-earn-jacksonville

It appears that the Jags owner gave Meyer a pretty nice contact so it's doubtful he can get out of paying most of it. Stupid owner mistake and he'll pay the price

Looks as though he is simply better suited to the right side, and not the left:

Rookie Penei Sewell is struggling at left tackle. He played his worst game of the season last week against Baltimore, then was even worse in Chicago. He was beaten by Robert Quinn for a strip-sack deep inside the red zone, and allowed two sacks and seven pressures overall. Just for comparison’s sake, Taylor Decker allowed two sacks all last season and never allowed more than five pressures in a game. Heck, he allowed just six pressures in the entire final month of the season. There’s a reason the Lions wanted him at left tackle (because he’s really good) and Sewell on the right (because he’s really young), and while they have not announced their future intentions, dollars to doughnuts Decker will stay at left tackle when he comes off injured reserve. Sewell is a really nice athlete with huge upside, but he still can’t buy a beer legally and has looked like it the last couple weeks in the trenches. It’s been rough, those inside moves are hammering him, and Sewell has plummeted out of the top 50 players at the position entirely according to PFF. In fact, he’s been worse than fill-in right tackle Matt Nelson.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlive.com/lions/2021/10/3-things-we-learned-lions-rookie-penei-sewell-is-struggling-at-left-tackle.html%3foutputType=amp

It begs the question, is any RT worth a top 5 pick? I will say, had the Bengals drafted him, I would have pushed for him to start at RT since Jonah is doing well at LT. It's looking more and more like the Bengals made a right choice for a change

That likely is the case. 

It also may well be that Detroit made a good choice as well—not that they were necessarily weighing the choice of one over the other. They took a shot at—for them—was the best player thereafter. 

Who is to know at this point? 

According to PFF Carman is the worst guard in football.  I think this stuff needs to be taken with a big grain of salt. Judging a guy after four games is a bit harsh.  At this point I would be surprised if Sewell and Carman are not solid pros.  

7 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

According to PFF Carman is the worst guard in football.  I think this stuff needs to be taken with a big grain of salt. Judging a guy after four games is a bit harsh.  At this point I would be surprised if Sewell and Carman are not solid pros.  

Don`t really pay any attention to PFF grades myself. The proof is in this stat. Joe Burrow has had time in the pocket and the run game also looks better. And think we can all agree Carman has been an upgrade over Xavier Su'a-Filo. Of course he is raw and  going to make some mistakes but think he is only getting better each week. How can he be the worst guard if he is better than who we had starting?

On 10/9/2021 at 3:25 PM, UncleEarl said:

Carman has been decent in the pass game, it's the running game that he is seriously lacking on

On 10/9/2021 at 11:32 AM, Sea Ray said:

It begs the question, is any RT worth a top 5 pick? I will say, had the Bengals drafted him, I would have pushed for him to start at RT since Jonah is doing well at LT. It's looking more and more like the Bengals made a right choice for a change

Unless your name is Boomer Esiason or Ken Stabler the answer is no.  

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

Penei Sewell continues to look like a bust | Ex-NFL scout not surprised

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/10/penei-sewell-5/

So here is a question for all the folks still on this Sewell train....

How many sacks or QB pressures does Hendrickson need to get this week for you to publicly admit you were wrong?

And not just about Sewell, but also about Henrickson.

16 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

So here is a question for all the folks still on this Sewell train....

How many sacks or QB pressures does Hendrickson need to get this week for you to publicly admit you were wrong?

And not just about Sewell, but also about Henrickson.

His OL Coach is a Bum.  You know, like the guy we had for like 30 years here, but don’t let that get in the way of your,  I told you so posts, right!  He interviewed for our open OL coach position in the offseason and guess what, uh, as you know, he was not selected.  I wonder why?  He interviewed for the Stoolers too.  If he was so great, then why would he want to take a lateral position?  Goff is getting killed over there like Burrow was here last year and really still is this year. 

4 minutes ago, TigerJ@w said:

His OL Coach is a Bum.  You know, like the guy we had for like 30 years here, but don’t let that get in the way of your,  I told you so posts, right!  He interviewed for our open OL coach position in the offseason and guess what, uh, as you know, he was not selected.  I wonder why?  He interviewed for the Stoolers too.  If he was so great, then why would he want to take a lateral position?  Goff is getting killed over there like Burrow was here last year and really still is this year. 

Moving the Goalposts. …to make sure you'll never become an… | by Polojko |  Geek Culture | Medium

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

His OL Coach is a Bum.  You know, like the guy we had for like 30 years here..

Whitworth did great here and I never heard him utter a bad word about the guy the whole time he was here...and Whit was never considered a "generational talent" like Sewell was supposed to be.

Could it be a matter of work ethic maybe?

I'm guessing that's playing a big part in what's happening in Detroit right now. 

Archived