2021 Opponents news thread

24 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

You think that just started in the NFL?  Celebrity college coaches are basically gods and can do damn near anything they want.  Meyer's behavior makes me think of a great Abraham Lincoln quote:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

As a Florida Fan, backer, and Alum... There was always a feeling of "Urban Meyer is a d*ck, but he's our d*ck."

If Urban had won 11 games with the Jags, he'd still have a job. He could show up to a press conference drunk with two naked college girls and NFL network would find a way to spin that into a positive. "You know, he keeps him team loose... Umm, that's why they're winning all of these games."

If you really want to test a man's character, see if his morals are willing to get in the way of what he wants.

On 12/14/2021 at 6:54 AM, High School Harry said:

Two long-time National Football League stars and former Cincinnati Bengals teammates - Los Angeles Rams offensive tackle Andrew Whitworth and Arizona Cardinals wide receiver A.J. Green - reached career milestones during the Rams' win against the Cardinals on Monday Night Football.

Whitworth and Green played together in Cincinnati from 2011 to 2016. Whitworth is in his fifth season with the Rams, and Green is in his first with Arizona.

Whitworth became the first left tackle in NFL history to start a game at age 40, per ESPN's Lindsey Thiry. The second-round pick of the Bengals in the 2006 NFL Draft played in 168 games over 11 seasons in Cincinnati.

And Green became one of just five active NFL players - along with Cardinals teammate DeAndre Hopkins, the Titans' Julio Jones, the Buccaneers' Antonio Brown and the Raiders' DeSean Jackson - and 50th in league history to reach 10,000 career receiving yards.

How I had wished Mike Brown had re-signed Whitworth.  The guy is a Brick Wall!  Burrow's sacks would've been way less of course with him.  

53 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

I doubt Meyer takes a college job this offseason. He'll probably be back on Fox for college football. 

He may have the type of bad optics that corporate nets won't take on right away. In a year or so, maybe, not just now. 

Pete Carroll was a slimy weasel at SC...all that went away in Seattle. At least media perception-wise. 

18 minutes ago, TigerJ@w said:

How I had wished Mike Brown had re-signed Whitworth.  The guy is a Brick Wall!  Burrow's sacks would've been way less of course with him.  

You even have to wonder if his veteran mentorship wouldn't have benefitted the entire line.

But as my mom used to say, If frogs had wings their asses wouldn't hit the ground. That milk is spilt. He's now "Andrew Whitworth, Super Bowl winner, oh, yeah, and he also used to play for the Bengals". I'd be willing to bet he's looked over at his wife and said "You know what, thank GOD Mike Brown didn't offer me enough money to stay!" I can think of one former job I feel that way about.

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Do you think Meyer goes back to college

or rides off into the sunset and retires?

Urban Meyer is a grifter first and foremost. He’ll absolutely go back to college for one more big pay day. Might not be right away, but once the right opportunity presents itself, (which, it will at some point) he’ll pounce on it. 
Grifters gonna grift. 

59 minutes ago, TigerJ@w said:

But if we had re-signed him, we would have won more games and Marvin and Andy would probably still be here.

5 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

I think he’ll sit back and see if a plum college job comes along, but if I were a college athletic director, I would shy away from him. Of course, someone will hire him because “he’s a winner”. Never mind he’s a despicable human being.

9 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

He probably will be offered a lot of money by some school dying to be relevant in college football.  They will pay Meyer and he will go through the motions for a couple years before he gets fired.  Kind of like Tuberville at UC. 

He won’t be seen in 2022…anywhere. The toxicity produced in the optics will keep the pious Power 5, etc away like the plague

But, a fellow who has the 3rd highest winning percentage in Division I history—and has done nothing but win at that level—will definitely be sought after in 2023. The news cycles will have long since passed, and title-lusting AD’s will pay the loot/sell their souls to have the chance. 

Remember, Columbus?

image.thumb.jpeg.82fa64df6bc159f02e35827d6f75f197.jpeg

If Petrino, Saban, Spurrier, and Carroll can get past the bad press, this guy will be a slam dunk. 

1 minute ago, Le Tigre said:

He won’t be seen in 2022…anywhere. The toxicity produced in the optics will keep the pious Power 5, etc will stay away like the plague

But, a fellow who has the 3rd highest winning percentage in Division I history—and has done nothing but win at that level—will definitely be sought after in 2023. The news cycles will have long since passed, and title-lusting AD’s will pay the loot/sell their souls to have the chance. 

Remember, Columbus?

image.thumb.jpeg.82fa64df6bc159f02e35827d6f75f197.jpeg

If Petrino, Saban, Spurrier, and Carroll can get past the bad press, this guy will be a slam dunk. 

You are probably right, but I would enjoy seeing Meyer coaching somewhere like Akron.  Kind of like Pitino at Iona.  

On 12/15/2021 at 6:10 PM, Jamie_B said:

Mayfield and stefansky have both now tested positive for covid

So has Case Keenum and Grant Delpit now. It looks like Nick Mullens will be starting at QB for Cleveland. Ironic thing: This game was flexed from Sunday to Saturday.

46 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

So has Case Keenum and Grant Delpit now. It looks like Nick Mullens will be starting at QB for Cleveland. Ironic thing: This game was flexed from Sunday to Saturday.

Raiders are going to start Mariotta.

Theyre in a funk and hoping Mariotta can change it..

5 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I feel like Carr is not the problem there though. Granted other than our game I havent watched any others.

Raiders have lost 5 of 6..

Lone win was Dallas in OT..

In the 5 losses theyve averaged 13 pts per game..

Carr's TD-INT ratio for the last 6 games is 5-5..

Theyre hoping Marriota can ignite their offense..

I doubt it but we'll see ..

COVID-19 carousel: Raiders-Browns NFL game moved to Monday; Tuesday for Seahawks-Rams, WFT-Eagles

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32890352/sources-las-vegas-raiders-cleveland-browns-nfl-game-moved-monday?platform=amp

“NFL commissioner Roger Goodell issued a memo on Friday afternoon to all 32 teams concerning COVID-19 protocols and the playing schedule.

"We will make every effort, consistent with underlying health and safety principles, to play our full schedule within the current 18 weeks," Goodell said in the memo.

"Each club is obligated to have its team ready to play at the scheduled time and place. There is no right to postpone a game, and games will not be postponed or rescheduled because of roster issues affecting a particular position group or particular number of players."

20 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

You are probably right, but I would enjoy seeing Meyer coaching somewhere like Akron.  Kind of like Pitino at Iona.  

But the thing about Meyer - when the going gets tough, he gets going for greener pastures. There was a joke in Florida that if you took a piss in the stadium, Urban got 5% of it. Then he bailed for OSU with some bull sheep.

Tim Tebow is gone and your incoming recruiting class sucks? You're "not healthy" and want to "spend more time with your family".

Urban will wait for a cherry opportunity to pop up where he can succeed without working too hard and jump on it. He'll either get paid like royalty, or wait for a top 5 program to have an opening.

25 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Urban will wait for a cherry opportunity to pop up where he can succeed without working too hard and jump on it. He'll either get paid like royalty, or wait for a top 5 program to have an opening.

Uh, this is exactly what I've been saying from the jump....grifters gonna grift.

No way in the world a dude like that could ever handle a lowly employee making more money than him.

"Fuck Jacksonville, they're' clueless...where's the next big bank account I can suck dry?"

Archived