2021 Opponents news thread

1 hour ago, Griever said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/browns-baker-mayfield-expected-to-undergo-offseason-surgery-following-2021-season-per-report/

Browns' Baker Mayfield expected to undergo offseason surgery following 2021 season, per report

No one can question the toughness of Baker Mayfield. The former first-overall pick continues to battle through a shoulder injury that's made it difficult to be as productive as he'd like to be for the Cleveland Browns, but he refuses to concede to the pain. That said, due to a short week following their Week 6 loss to the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday and their upcoming matchup with the Denver Broncos on Thursday night, it'll be backup quarterback Case Keenum getting the start in Week 7. Mayfield will have a shot to return to the field in 10 days -- looking to wait until the season is over before he gets his shoulder repaired.

The 26-year-old is reportedly expected to undergo offseason surgery once the 2021 season concludes, per Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, to fix the torn labrum in his non-throwing shoulder. Mayfield and the Browns believe he can make it to that point with the proper management, but any setbacks could alter that decision.

Despite his injury, Mayfield is currently enjoying the highest completion percentage of his four-year NFL career (67.1%) and a career-high passer rating as well (97.8). This is without having the luxury of both Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry on the field at the same time for any large stretch of time this season, and it's a testament to Mayfield's talent and evolving decision-making process once he takes the snap. 

That said, while he has only three interceptions through six games, the Browns are 3-3 heading into Week 7 and Mayfield has only six passing touchdowns -- clearly hampered by his injury. He's one of the next young NFL quarterbacks to potentially break the bank in the next few months, and Mayfield is doing his best to show the Browns he's the QB of the future in Cleveland.

A sex change?

The Browns have to make a decision on Denzel Ward, too, whether to pick up his 5th year option. He's another player that seems to miss time every season due to injury. 

I was conversing with a client of mine about Mayfield yesterday and he doesn't want to see him get really big money, but he also doesn't want to go back through the QB revolving door that Cleveland had for so long. 

8 hours ago, High School Harry said:

Maybe be the second behind Trevor Lawrence.

Why start now?

And double f-bomb the Clowns for pulling one out of their wazoos last night.

I watched the Browns Broncos game last night and their oline was moving defenders..

It seems any RB can run effectively in back of that wall..

1 hour ago, Montana Bengal said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32448198/cleveland-browns-qb-baker-mayfield-says-shoulder-fracture-addition-torn-labrum

"Cleveland Browns QB Baker Mayfield says shoulder has fracture in addition to torn labrum"

Yeah hes done for the year..

Thet have to be thinking if Case Keenum can just manage the offense as he did against the Broncos their Oline will protect him and open up lanes for any RB they choose they can stay  in the AFCN race..

Its a long season...

2 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

I watched the Browns Broncos game last night and their oline was moving defenders..

It seems any RB can run effectively in back of that wall..

I didn't really watch enough of the game to comment accurately, but I will say at the end of the game, their RB was getting yards and first downs based mostly on his impressive personal effort, i.e. yards after contact, etc.

4 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

I didn't really watch enough of the game to comment accurately, but I will say at the end of the game, their RB was getting yards and first downs based mostly on his impressive personal effort, i.e. yards after contact, etc.

Hes definately shown he can be effective for them sans Chubb and Hunt..

Im not counting the Browns out of the race just yet..

3 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

The key to the Browns winning last night was holding their opponent to 2 scores. A game manager and a bruising running game can win those sorts of games but they won't beat high scoring teams that way

Bridgewater is a horrible QB and has no WRs.   Will be interesting when they play the Stillers. 

10 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

If you haven’t listened to the Mannings comment on the MNF game you are missing out.  Drew Brees with them for the fourth quarter.  They are shredding both QBs. Deservedly.  Interesting to hear about who calls blocking assignments, etc. 

I enjoyed that much more than when they had the WNBA player on as a guest. I flipped the channel at that point

Let's check in on old friend Carlos Dunlap, dearly departed from what is currently a top 5 defense here in Cincinnati...

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/carlos-dunlap-must-elevate-game-to-help-struggling-pass-rush

Carlos Dunlap Must Elevate Game to Help Struggling Pass Rush

After a resurgent second half in 2020, Dunlap has gotten off to a disappointing start in his first full season in Seattle, failing to record a sack in six games. What is behind his regression and how can the Seahawks get him back on track?

For the first time in several years, coming off the heels of an excellent second half in 2020 in which they finished first in the NFL in sacks, the Seahawks rolled into the 2021 season with high expectations for their pass rush.

While veteran defensive tackle Jarran Reed departed as a cap casualty, Seattle returned the vast majority of its defensive line from a year ago. Benson Mayowa re-signed on a two-year contract, Alton Robinson looked poised for a big second season, and after initially being released, and Carlos Dunlap ultimately decided to come back on a new two-year deal of his own.

In addition, Seattle signed veteran Kerry Hyder in free agency and following a lost rookie season due to injury, a fully healthy Darrell Taylor was expected to take on a significant role in the pass rushing rotation.

Nearly two months into the season, however, despite retaining most of its defensive line from a year ago, the Seahawks have failed to come close to meeting expectations harassing opposing quarterbacks. Through six games, they have produced only 11 sacks, tied for the fifth-fewest in the NFL, rank 20th in the league in pressure percentage (23.9 percent), and rank 20th in quarterback hits (33).

With the exception of Taylor, who has been a revelation amassing a team-best 4.0 sacks and six quarterback hits, none of Seattle's other rushers have produced as anticipated. Most notably, Dunlap hasn't provided the pass rushing spark he did after coming over from Cincinnati in a midseason trade last October.

So far this season, Dunlap has yet to register a single sack, has only two quarterback hits, and has averaged only one tackle per game. When asked about the veteran's struggles two weeks ago, coach Pete Carroll indicated part of it has had to do with the extra attention opponents have given him from a pass protection standpoint.

"We have seen a lot of accents that you can do in pass protection. He draws the attention, there’s no doubt," Carroll said. "More so than ever, it feels like we are getting more chip protections with the tight end and the back or different combinations. It’s a little bit of a movement in pass protection so it’s not new but we are seeing quite a bit of it. Teams can seven man protect and give their guys a chance to go down the field. You have to defend the field even more so because of that.”

It's not as if Dunlap has been a complete non-factor. According to Pro Football Focus, his 13 total quarterback pressures rank second on the team behind only Taylor, who leads the team with 14. He also has two swatted passes at the line of scrimmage, earning himself a respectable 70.0 grade this season.

In last week's loss to the Stealers, Dunlap had two timely third down pressures on failed third down conversion attempts that led to opposing punts. His biggest play of the game came in overtime when he shot inside past right tackle Chukwuma Okorafor and his immediate pressure forced Ben Roethlisberger out of the pocket. Dumping the ball off to receiver Ray-Ray McCloud, cornerback Tre Brown came up and blasted him short of the sticks, giving the ball back to Geno Smith and the Seahawks offense.

One week earlier, with Seattle trailing the Los Angeles Rams by six late in the fourth quarter, Dunlap threw up his long 34 5/8-inch arms and knocked down Matthew Stafford's third down pass attempt. Johnny Hekker came on to punt and Smith was given another shot to win the game inside two minutes left to play.

But while Dunlap has made a few key plays as the season has progressed, he's also seemingly gone into ghost mode for long stretches of play, disappearing for quarters at a time. Shockingly, on three different occasions this year, he hasn't recorded a single stat in a game, including recording zero tackles and zero quarterback hits in Pittsburgh last weekend.

Comparing his play this season to the eight games he played for the Seahawks after being acquired from the Bengals last year, Dunlap hasn't been near as disruptive rushing off the edge. Per PFF, his pressure percentage has dipped from 12.9 percent last year to 9.6 percent this year.

Not all pressures are created equal either and only two of Dunlap's 13 pressures (15 percent) this year resulted in a quarterback hit. Last season, 13 of his 31 pressures (41 percent) in nine games with Seattle, including a playoff loss, resulted in a sack or a quarterback hit. Based on those numbers alone, it's clearly evident the veteran has not been the same difference maker thus far.

Regardless, after bringing Dunlap back on a two-year, $13.6 million contract with $8.5 million guaranteed, the Seahawks simply haven't gotten the bang for their buck so far. With the team sitting in the NFC West cellar at 2-4, they need the two-time Pro Bowler to find his groove and help an underwhelming pass rush group play to their capabilities if the team has any intention of climbing back into playoff contention.

That all seems VERY FAMILIAR. Can I assume that Elise Jesse will start writing unsourced hit pieces on the Seahawks coaching staff soon?????

10 minutes ago, membengal said:

Let's check in on old friend Carlos Dunlap, dearly departed from what is currently a top 5 defense here in Cincinnati...

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/carlos-dunlap-must-elevate-game-to-help-struggling-pass-rush

That all seems VERY FAMILIAR. Can I assume that Elise Jesse will start writing unsourced hit pieces on the Seahawks coaching staff soon?????

What kind of crap is that?  She talks about how Dunlap made important plays on third down to force punts against the Stealers in one paragraph and then shreds him in the next for not generating any stats vs. Pittsburgh? 

I noticed the Seahawks were harassing Winston consistently last night.  Lo and behold...Dunlap with 2 tackles, 3 assists and half a sack.  Hit piece indeed.  These jackass reporters wonder why no one wants to talk to them. 

So...Dunlap is all the way up to ONE HALF OF ONE SACK this year. Yup, he's killing it.  

Again, from that piece...tell me this isn't what ended his stay here (in addition to, yaknow, his quitting):

"But while Dunlap has made a few key plays as the season has progressed, he's also seemingly gone into ghost mode for long stretches of play, disappearing for quarters at a time. Shockingly, on three different occasions this year, he hasn't recorded a single stat in a game, including recording zero tackles and zero quarterback hits in Pittsburgh last weekend."

Archived