2021 Opponents news thread

4 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

COVID-19 carousel: Raiders-Browns NFL game moved to Monday; Tuesday for Seahawks-Rams, WFT-Eagles

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32890352/sources-las-vegas-raiders-cleveland-browns-nfl-game-moved-monday?platform=amp

“NFL commissioner Roger Goodell issued a memo on Friday afternoon to all 32 teams concerning COVID-19 protocols and the playing schedule.

"We will make every effort, consistent with underlying health and safety principles, to play our full schedule within the current 18 weeks," Goodell said in the memo.

"Each club is obligated to have its team ready to play at the scheduled time and place. There is no right to postpone a game, and games will not be postponed or rescheduled because of roster issues affecting a particular position group or particular number of players."

Am I the only one who feels like this is special treatment?

6 hours ago, TigerJ@w said:

COVID on the supposed vaccinated?  Denver last year had to play without a QB.  Hello!  The sniffles is a cop out!  

You can still get it even if your vaccinated.

To me its like you still have coaches and backups. Play the game.

2 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

In fact, the NFL/NFLPA agreements state play the games or forfeit. 

This slight-of-hand the NFL is attempting is rather dubious 

3 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

It's almost as if the league wants the Browns and Bemgals game to mean something so they can get viewers and ratings 

And I'm not a conspiracy theorist 

Curiously, it isn’t just the NFL. In Britain, the soccer leagues are postponing matches left and right. They will not continue—although they can—with teams using 2nd level players to fill in for the regulars who are out. They fear a watering down of interest—especially TV—which will impact their financials. 

7 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Exactly.  That's specifically why teams have backups.

Realistically, most of the Clowns will be off protocol by the original game time.

As for the ones who aren't... every team has dinged up starters out for a week

with back ups filling in so why should the Browns be any different be it a

top player out with an injury or a scrub with the Wuhan Whoopie?

IMHO, it shakes down to being more unfair to the Bengals than anyone.

Not that I'm not bias. 

On 12/16/2021 at 9:02 AM, High School Harry said:

FWIW... I did a Yahoo search, found the worse 15 NFL quarterbacks of all time and two were Bengals.

David Klingler and Akili Smith.  Per the article, the all time worse was JaMarcus Russel although there

were some notable names on there.  

Bullshit.  AKillMe played in 22 games in 4 years, won 3, passed for 2212 yards, completed 46.8% of his passes and had a passer rating of 52. 

Russell only played 3 years but ALL of his numbers are better to include 7 wins, yards 4000+, 52% completion rate and a 65 rating. 

Don’t be trying to peddle that BS to a Bengals fan, I had season tickets back then!

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Bullshit.  AKillMe played in 22 games in 4 years, won 3, passed for 2212 yards, completed 46.8% of his passes and had a passer rating of 52. 

Russell only played 3 years but ALL of his numbers are better to include 7 wins, yards 4000+, 52% completion rate and a 65 rating. 

Don’t be trying to peddle that BS to a Bengals fan, I had season tickets back then!

You missed the part that said "per the article"

On 12/18/2021 at 10:36 AM, Le Tigre said:

Curiously, it isn’t just the NFL. In Britain, the soccer leagues are postponing matches left and right. They will not continue—although they can—with teams using 2nd level players to fill in for the regulars who are out. They fear a watering down of interest—especially TV—which will impact their financials. 

The NHL is an even bigger shitshow.  They test these guys twice a day symptoms or not.  Most of the guys have zero symptoms.  Some teams are playing with half of their lineups being AHL players.  Others aren't playing at all.  Can't seem to figure it out.  It's almost like the team decides if it wants to play or not. 

Put this in another thread. NFL strikes again

On Friday, they received another surprise: The NFL gave the Browns and Raiders until 2 p.m. on Monday to activate players off COVID-19 reserve and make other roster moves, according to an NFL memo obtained by cleveland.com.

Previously, it would’ve been Sunday at 4, so it gives Mayfield and some of the other 23 Browns players on various COVID lists a chance to make it back for the game, which has enormous playoff implications.

The Browns can move into first place in the AFC North with a victory over the 6-7 Raiders and a loss by the Ravens against the Packers.

1 hour ago, Sea Ray said:

Where did Johnny Manziel land on that list?

Not sure but their horrible numbers were similar.

The HUGE difference is Manziel was picked 22nd in the Rookie Salary Cap era and Akili was signed 3rd under the old rules. 

Akili was paid over $12.1 mil during his brief stay in the NFL while Johnny Football only made $7.7 mil.  

To be honest, the Brown family did a great job with his contract because it was a 7 year $58mil contract but only $10 mil was guaranteed.  

Also, in 1999 the salary cap was only $57 mil. When Manziel was drafted it was over $165 mil.   Johnny flaming out left Cleveland without a good QB but didn’t cripple them cap wise.  Akili hurt us for 3 years. 

Archived