2021 Opponents news thread

1 hour ago, High School Harry said:

Look up "Playing Down to the Other Team's Level"

and you will see a picture of the Las Vegas Raiders...

Uh, are you sure you wouldn’t see a picture of the Bengals there?  Isn’t that what we’ve been doing ever since the big win in Baltimore?  :shrug: 

Heck, in Denver, it’s like we didn’t even TRY to score a touchdown until the Broncos had scored a touchdown.  Then it took us just two plays to score our own TD…and then went back to not trying.

9 minutes ago, Cricket said:

Uh, are you sure you wouldn’t see a picture of the Bengals there?  Isn’t that what we’ve been doing ever since the big win in Baltimore?  :shrug: 

Heck, in Denver, it’s like we didn’t even TRY to score a touchdown until the Broncos had scored a touchdown.  Then it took us just two plays to score our own TD…and then went back to not trying.

Oh, yeah.  I totally agree and that's what I was thinking of.

Bit us in the ass a few times this year already (Chicago, Jets etc).

And we would probably be a lock right now if we had not.

That was a Marvengals trademark and I hope the new Bengals

are brain bleached from that crap now.

41 minutes ago, Cricket said:

I'm not sure we've played down to the competition so much as this team is learning to deal with success. It seems like every time they get a big win and people ready to crown them, they fall on their face the next week,

Hopefully that's something that gets learned quickly.

15 minutes ago, membengal said:

THe 49ers are good. The Chargers are good. Did we play down to them? I am guessing the complaint is the Jets game and EVERY team in the NFL has "played down" to someone this year - in spectacular fashion. 

This really can't be stressed enough.

31 minutes ago, membengal said:

Just 48 hours ago the Cardinals may have seriously rat-fucked their chance to win their division with that massive egg against the Lions, for instance...

They may still have a decent path to the division...if not also the 1st Seed. If they win out, LA and SF play each other the final game--which is not going to matter if the Cards win out. The key game for them, looks to be in DAL next week. Lose that, and the Rams have an inside track to the title--provided they win. 

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

To me it's a coach trying to control the game instead of letting his players go out and win it.  Usually ends up poorly. 

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

To me it's a coach trying to control the game instead of letting his players go out and win it.  Usually ends up poorly. 

I have always felt as though at some point we're going to have to let Joe basically be the on-field play caller.  Ever since I started following him that season before the draft, I pegged him as a "Peyton Manning type" - the guy who cares so much he'll figure out every other team's defense just as much (or maybe more) than the OC will, and you might as well let him be "the guy" once he has enough experience for it.  In that scenario you let the OC basically be a consultant, or an information source for the QB, but ultimately the QB is making the decision.

The problem is I've always seen Zac as the type who will NOT relinquish play calling duties, and why?  Because he was a QB himself.  Those guys always seem to have that extra ego that comes with the territory of having been a successful college QB at least, and in some cases NFL as well.  Maybe that swag is necessary for that level of competition, but the only solution IMO would be having a different HC who doesn't call plays and trusts Joe at the same time.

From what I understand, many of our more successful second halves have been handing Joe the reins with the standard playbook.  I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised either.

1 hour ago, HavePityPlease said:

I have always felt as though at some point we're going to have to let Joe basically be the on-field play caller.  Ever since I started following him that season before the draft, I pegged him as a "Peyton Manning type" - the guy who cares so much he'll figure out every other team's defense just as much (or maybe more) than the OC will, and you might as well let him be "the guy" once he has enough experience for it.  In that scenario you let the OC basically be a consultant, or an information source for the QB, but ultimately the QB is making the decision.

The problem is I've always seen Zac as the type who will NOT relinquish play calling duties, and why?  Because he was a QB himself.  Those guys always seem to have that extra ego that comes with the territory of having been a successful college QB at least, and in some cases NFL as well.  Maybe that swag is necessary for that level of competition, but the only solution IMO would be having a different HC who doesn't call plays and trusts Joe at the same time.

From what I understand, many of our more successful second halves have been handing Joe the reins with the standard playbook.  I could be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised either.

The 2 previous seasons we had should have wiped out any and all ego Taylor had. He should hand over play calling to the OC especially given he knows he has failed in the calls in a few critical instances and the team starts so slow. Takes a big man to give up some control but he should do it for the greater good. If Callahan struggles he can always take it back. Time to be  HC full time. 

6 hours ago, High School Harry said:

At the beginning of the year (ie the Vikes and Bears) didn't Zac say they were going easy with Burrow as they did not know how well his knee had healed?

As far as Zac being OC, Mikey should demand he relinquish that and just be a HC ala peeps above. Unless Taylor is caught in bed with a live boy or a dead girl, he will be back next year.

9 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

That shapes up to be a huge game for both IND and the Raiders. 

Would expect constant Taylor for the Ponies. 

Earliest he could come off is Sunday with these new rules, so who knows. I have no idea if a Colts loss helps us in the playoff math or not.

13 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Earliest he could come off is Sunday with these new rules, so who knows. I have no idea if a Colts loss helps us in the playoff math or not.

I did some Playoff Machine scenarios, and a Colts loss really only affects who they play as a road WC opponent. Most place them at 7th Seed against the 2nd Seed, but none against the 4th Seed. They would not be a desirable opponent at this moment. 

There is one path for the Raiders, but it takes lots of help and doesn’t place them against the Bengals. 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

I did some Playoff Machine scenarios, and a Colts loss really only affects who they play as a road WC opponent. Most place them at 7th Seed against the 2nd Seed, but none against the 4th Seed. They would not be a desirable opponent at this moment. 

There is one path for the Raiders, but it takes lots of help and doesn’t place them against the Bengals. 

The Bengals are currently the third seed, aren’t they?  Assuming that we DO hold on to win the division, I believe we could finish as second, third, or fourth seed…so we could end up hosting any one of the wild card teams.

Assuming that we cannot finish as the top seed [Is that a possibility?], finishing as the second seed and hosting the Raiders would be ideal.  All of the other teams battling for wildcard slots look dangerous.  IMO

🦗

Archived