Duke Tobin on Jackson Carman: 'He's Gotta Get Himself in Peak Shape

Why do I find myself with the annual 20/20 hindsight for our second round pick

looking at all the others, esp O linemen, who were still there when we picked

broccoli head?

Sounds like he has a solid future on the inactive list this season.

And what's the little rocket ship on the avatars?

32 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I'm shocked.  🙄

This is what happens when Mike Brown gets involved with a pick. 

I doubt he was very involved.  Too busy packing his bag for the trade deadline trip to Europe. 

13 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I doubt he was very involved.  Too busy packing his bag for the trade deadline trip to Europe. 

It’s sad, but true.  Why else do you draft a fat guy who is coming off back surgery?

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/bengals-get-mike-browns-guy-an-inside-look-at-their-pursuit-of-jackson-carman

13 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

It’s sad, but true.  Why else do you draft a fat guy who is coming off back surgery?

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/allbengals-insiders-plus/bengals-get-mike-browns-guy-an-inside-look-at-their-pursuit-of-jackson-carman

If this is true than it’s absolutely pathetic.  An &6 year old owner who, in 31 years has never won a playoff game has no business evaluating talent and making draft day decisions.  

“We couldn’t believe he fell so far on everyone’s draft board.”   I guess the other 31 teams just don’t know how to evaluate talent.  

On 8/11/2021 at 7:52 PM, SF2 said:

If this is true than it’s absolutely pathetic.  An &6 year old owner who, in 31 years has never won a playoff game has no business evaluating talent and making draft day decisions.  

“We couldn’t believe he fell so far on everyone’s draft board.”   I guess the other 31 teams just don’t know how to evaluate talent.  

well to be fair, there are a whole bunch of players that all 32 teams passed on who were legendary. but the point isnt lost still.

On 8/15/2021 at 10:37 PM, GoBengals said:

well to be fair, there are a whole bunch of players that all 32 teams passed on who were legendary. but the point isnt lost still.

Yeah, plenty of guys have flown under the radar for sure.  Guys that DROP in the draft usually do so for a reason. Rodgers would be a good example of a guy who dropped that shouldn’t have.

DK Metcalf and AJ Brown also come to mind. “Too muscular.”  LOL. 

I think too many fans and fans pretending to be media need to slow down on the Carmen hate train...so the guy is struggling to learn a new position, give him a few weeks of practice and games to get it together.  

He had some good plays against the Bucs, especially on the TD run by Evans. He might not start the season off as full-time starter but he will contribute for this team now and in the future. 

21 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

I think too many fans and fans pretending to be media need to slow down on the Carmen hate train...so the guy is struggling to learn a new position, give him a few weeks of practice and games to get it together.  

He had some good plays against the Bucs, especially on the TD run by Evans. He might not start the season off as full-time starter but he will contribute for this team now and in the future. 

Very fair. I mean our sample size is 1 pre season game.  

The reality is if he is an average starter next year than it was a great draft pick.  That is how hard it is to draft good lineman past pick 20. 

Some players believe that it is “all thanks to God” that they got drafted into the NFL, and some of those actively “let God take the wheel”…instead of recognizing the need to work their butts off. (ala Andre Smith).

I do not know that this is the case for Carman, but if it is, being around his teammates that are working hard may be just what he needs to figure it out.

Jackson has been a work in progresses. he' playing a new position on new side. he's  having to think everything through consciously.

"place my right hand here" AND "put my left foot here'" and so on, once he gets the reps where he can do that by rote, he'll be much better. Let's watch his progress. He didn't do too badly against the Bucs, and he did improve as he played more. Also, playing guard takes s different mind set than tackle, so there's that. Offensive lineman are not interchangeable! 

5 hours ago, jrandom42 said:

Offensive lineman are not interchangeable! 

Really?  Don’t tell D’Ante Smith.  

The issue with Carman is partially how the Bengals sold him with comments like “day 1 starter” and the like.  The reality is that he is a project and the Bengals stellar scouting staff and Mike Brown likely reached for the guy.  Glad he’s working now, but I have little  respect for guys who have spent their lives working to be a professional athlete that aren’t in top physical condition. 

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

The issue with Carman is partially how the Bengals sold him with comments like “day 1 starter” and the like

You have a link to those comments? 
I don’t remember anyone from the Bengals saying anything at all about him being a day one starter. 

37 minutes ago, spicoli said:

You have a link to those comments? 
I don’t remember anyone from the Bengals saying anything at all about him being a day one starter. 

Really?  It's been all over and the Bengals didn't squelch any of it until the pads went on.  Here's an example.

"Chase may be the valedictorian of this class, but Carman is the worthy salutatorian that represents it as offensive line coach Frank Pollack turns him into an Opening Day guard."

From:  https://www.bengals.com/news/ton-of-work-yields-bmg-draft-for-bengals

What did they mean?  Opening day 2022?  2023?  Yeah, right.  They pushed the narrative that was echoed by plenty around here as well.

11 minutes ago, membengal said:

No one from the team said that. The Bengals director of scouting was HTPG post draft and talked about Carmen and nowhere in there did he say lock to start day 1. 

A "lock?"  Now you are moving the goalposts.  Who ever says a "lock?"  He was promoted as big time help for the OL and the day 1 starter was promoted plenty. 

I get some of you want to be positive all the time, but give it a rest.  It's not going well for Carmen so far. 

Archived