Bengals at Bucs -- Pre-season game 1 --- 8/14/20

The D only gave up 29 rushing yards tonight...that's pretty fucking awesome - pre-season or not. 

I was genuinely not expecting the D - especially the d-line - to be absolutely dominant. That is...new. Also, this might give some context to the offensive struggles week 1 in camp...

I am really pleased with pretty much everything from tonight.

9 hours ago, TigerJ@w said:

He is forced to spend his salary cap.  It is per the CBA.  He must spend 89 percent of it over a 4 year span.  I believe this changed when they stopped giving draft picks millions in signing bonuses or soon there after. 

You actually have to spend at least 89% EVERY year and 95% over the total 4 year period. 

We had to spend money in FA because we are no longer paying Geno, Carlos, AJ or Andy.  Those were our 4 highest paid players. 

11 hours ago, Hooky said:

I guess old habits of blaming Mike Brown for everything are hard to break, even though he obviously isn't in charge any more. After doing nothing in FA for 3 decades, he's finally going to spend a shit ton of money the last 2 years?

And he was the one that decided to fire Marvin after almost 2 decades of being fine with his production?

Brown HAD to spend all the money laying around after dropping our 3 highest paid players’ salaries: Geno, AJ and Carlos Dunlop.  If he didn’t, he would have had to write a check to the player’s union.  

Yes, Mike Brown is the one that decided to keep Marvin way too long and finally fire him after he had 3 straight losing seasons.  

Are there any other questions?

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

You actually have to spend at least 89% EVERY year and 95% over the total 4 year period. 

We had to spend money in FA because we are no longer paying Geno, Carlos, AJ or Andy.  Those were our 4 highest paid players. 

No shiz!  If he didn’t spend to my percentage then it must be more over the 4 year span. 

16 hours ago, Hooky said:

I guess old habits of blaming Mike Brown for everything are hard to break, even though he obviously isn't in charge any more. After doing nothing in FA for 3 decades, he's finally going to spend a shit ton of money the last 2 years?

And he was the one that decided to fire Marvin after almost 2 decades of being fine with his production?

The hell he isn't in charge.  I'm sure the kids run the day to day operations, but Brown is still involved with personnel decisions.  Brown absolutely made the decision to fire ML and the articles about Brown and Carman are out there.  The stuff about spending to the cap has been well covered by others.  Really bad take.

5 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

My takeaways are that the Bengals competed well physically and that zero good quarterbacks played in that game.

For game 1 of preseason I'll take it.

Defense was flying around making plays.  Good enough for me.  

With 12 hours to reflect:

1. The defense was REALLY impressive. All three teams. The first team D had such a promising debut. Pressure from the line, swift LBers to the ball, glue coverage from Awuzie. And that mostly repeated through second and third team (w/ a few exceptions). Maybe the difficulty they've been giving Burrow and the offense is...legit.

2. Decent pocket for Allen to work with when he had first string line. Really fun to see each of Boyd, Chase and Higgins get a catch to move the sticks.

3. Hope that teams that need FG kickers are on our speed dial for Seibert. I would really like to see them move him for a 6th or so. I think there should be a market.

4. McPherson has a howitzer of a leg. Backs up what we've heard from camp, but, the ball just explodes off his foot.

5. I hope like hell that Ossai is not a bad injury. They clearly have something there. But there also really good work from Sample and Hodge and man does our defensive line depth look quite different this time around. On Ossai's sack of Brady, was nice to see that Hendrickson had beaten the LT badly and was arriving from his side as well.

12 hours ago, membengal said:

The D only gave up 29 rushing yards tonight...that's pretty fucking awesome - pre-season or not. 

I was genuinely not expecting the D - especially the d-line - to be absolutely dominant. That is...new. Also, this might give some context to the offensive struggles week 1 in camp...

I am really pleased with pretty much everything from tonight.

I'd like to get hopeful from last night's win, especially the way the D looked, but preseason games are pretty meaningless, for the most part.

Except...when we lose, right? Then they are meaningful? 

There are certain things which I think matter more than others. Being the more physical defensive front for the entire game against a team like Tampa who are widely considered very deep everywhere is something that I think it is okay to be pleased about...

Archived