Bengals at Bucs -- Pre-season game 1 --- 8/14/20

19 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Wow is D’Ante Smith gonna start for this team?

Ya know...maybe.  I doubt he will out of the gate, but the guy seems to take coaching very well, has put on the weight they asked him to, and has some really good hands and feet.  If someone, other than the center gets dinged I bet we see Smith.

3 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Ya know...maybe.  I doubt he will out of the gate, but the guy seems to take coaching very well, has put on the weight they asked him to, and has some really good hands and feet.  If someone, other than the center gets dinged I bet we see Smith.

This is the kind of guy that makes it in the pros.  Works like a pro to learn and turn  his body into what it needs to be.  Guys coming into camp fat and out of shape  (Ogbuehi, Andre Smith, Carman, etc.) generally don't get it done.  It's a man's league and you have to work like a man and not just get by on size and athletic ability like these guys could do in college.

5 hours ago, Duluoz said:

I'd like to get hopeful from last night's win, especially the way the D looked, but preseason games are pretty meaningless, for the most part.

I'd rather they look good and win then loo like utter dogshit and lose.

I remember Lap saying years ago that sometimes coaches call plays not too gain yardage or sack QB (or whatever) but to see how certain people execute. I try to keep that in mind when I watch preseason games.

27 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Thats not true..

Williams played well in limited carries last year..

We've been down this road before...And was outplayed and passed on the depth chart by a guy who had been cut by multiple teams.  Now he's hurt.  Can't win a spot on the training table.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/lists/bengals-buccaneers-preseason-week-1-recap/

— RB Trayveon Williams was a scratch after suffering a hamstring injury Thursday. It’s a potentially devastating blow with rookie Chris Evans already looking like a riser in camp.

— Evans made good on that idea Saturday night, making something out of nothing on several runs and scoring a touchdown. He’s quickly earning regular-season snaps.

— Joseph Ossai was the biggest breakout of all. He tallied at least one sack early and was all over the place in the first half. The third-round rookie looks destined for a major role.

— Can’t say the same for Jackson Carman. He’s had a slower-than-expected start and on his first play got nailed for holding. He was on the field for the second half.

— Fourth-rounder D’Ante Smith looked about as comfortable as it gets for a guy suddenly playing guard in the pros, even getting to the second level to put down linebackers.

— Tackle depth is a serious issue with Fred Johnson and Hakeem Adeniji out. Gunnar Vogel got demolished in the second quarter against better competition, so it’s something to watch if other guys can’t get healthy.

— It’s pretty clear the D.J. Reader-Josh Tupou tandem at tackle will be a force against the run.

— Darius Hodge is a deep sleeper to know. The undrafted lineman was getting notable pressure and helped force a turnover in the second half.

A few observations after watching the game:

QB: Allen was sharp and if not for 2 fumbles I believe he would have scored atleast one TD. Schumer was up and down, his best throw didn't count because of a penalty.  

RB: Evans and Patrick put in work, good game for both guys. Evans is going to be hard to keep off the field, Williams better get back soon. 

WR: Irwin and Tate played well, should be a good battle for the last few spots

TE: They have to improve their blocking, especially on stretch run plays. Moss looked fluid after the catch, I think this roster battle will come down to blocking.

OL: Average as a whole. Williams, Reiff, Jordan, and Price were good. The rookies were up and down. Isaiah Prince was a good surprise and Gillard looked good as well. Overall it was a good performance for a unit everyone had major concerns about coming into this game. 

DL: They dominated and showed their depth, if they can stay healthy it's going to be a special season for this defense. 

LB: Solid performance overall,  Pratt had a good tackle on Fournette on run defense. Evans had some good plays as well. 

CB: Good game overall, very active with their hands and in run support. Great job tipping passes, loved how they competed and played with confidence. 

S: Good game from start to finish, Bell made a good play on the first play they played well as a unit throughout the game. If safeties can play at a high level with the defensive line this will be a top 15 defense maybe top 10.

Overall I thought this was a great overall team game. Despite a few negative plays the Bengals played inspired and the coaches put them in positions to succeed. 

Archived