The Kevin Clark Article on Burrow

I am sure you all will see this article referenced today on various outlets but Kevin Clark from the Ringer was in town on his tour of camps and his piece is on Burrow and it is a cracking good read (lot of quotes and insight from Burrow):

A lot to react to and discuss, maybe , so a separate thread might be good…

give it a look:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/8/18/22630102/joe-burrow-bengals-nfl-2021-injury-recovery

He is just SO open when he talks to reporters - it is very very refreshing. That was used against him a few weeks ago, but it is fascinating to see the journey through camp. Everyone seems to think development or rehab or improvement is a straight line. It just isn't. For any player. 

The rest of his offseason was not particularly packed with fun. Part of that was by design; part of that wasn’t. It has been nine months since he
tore his ACL and MCL, ending his Bengals rookie season. He brought his trainer with him on vacation. He was deeply serious. “Every workout to me
was life or death,” Burrow said.
“Go in there, no matter what you’re feeling. Knee hurts, body hurts, mind not up to it—you’ve got to get the work
done. If you don’t get the work done, it’s not going to show up on the field. And I want it to show up on the field.”

Burrow, who 19 months ago completed the coolest and most efficient season in the history of college football at LSU, spent the past nine months
rebuilding himself. His injury occurred last November, in the midst of a miserable Bengals season that was buoyed only by the optimism around the
team’s rookie quarterback. But then the Bengals lost Burrow, and Burrow lost football. “I kind of had to figure out who I was without football for a
little bit,” Burrow told me last week. “Lying in bed, not being able to move without coming to pick my leg up and go to the bathroom. It wasn’t

very fun. But I think it’ll make me a better person and player.”

Burrow’s rebuilding continued in practice on a recent hot day in downtown Cincinnati. It has not been a flawless process. He trusts his knee and
trusts the work he’s put in, he said, to know whether it’s stable. But some problems extended beyond his own recovery. Cincinnati’s offense was
slow to develop early in training camp, something Burrow and Bengals coaches were open about but certainly not panicking over in early August.
“It was more so just getting the feeling back in the pocket. I’ve always been pretty good at feeling the space in the pocket and going where I
need to and feeling where the defenders are. And at the beginning of camp, it was kind of just a wall of people,” Burrow said. “I couldn’t really feel
who was who, where the pressure was coming from. Then, at the end of last week, it just kind of clicked for me. And now I’m playing well again,
back to my old self.”

Also, that's just a guy who is built different.

“I like having as many routes available to me as possible. Five people out in the route just to stress the defense. Because what I’m good at is feeling space, feeling defenders, feeling where they’re supposed to go, feeling the zones that open up behind them,” Burrow explained. “So when there’s only one or two guys out in the routes, that’s not where I’m at my best.” 

And THIS is why we went Chase and not Sewell 

This kid has already become one of my favorite Bengals players ever. I hope that he is fully recovered and able to bounce back from a gruesome injury. I get that he likes lots of options to pass to. What QB wouldn't but the team needs to be able to protect him in these situations. This ain't college anymore. I can only hope (pray) the Bengals have added enough help on the line to keep him healthy this season. He cannot continue to take the type of beating he did last year.

6 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

This kid has already become one of my favorite Bengals players ever. I hope that he is fully recovered and able to bounce back from a gruesome injury. I get that he likes lots of options to pass to. What QB wouldn't but the team needs to be able to protect him in these situations. This ain't college anymore. I can only hope (pray) the Bengals have added enough help on the line to keep him healthy this season. He cannot continue to take the type of beating he did last year.

Agreed on both. and if he has to throw as much as he did last year, that shit will likely happen again.

The line has to be better and wee need to run the ball more.  I am so pumped for this season though. 

13 hours ago, fluhartz said:

Agreed on both. and if he has to throw as much as he did last year, that shit will likely happen again.

The line has to be better and wee need to run the ball more.  I am so pumped for this season though. 

They may throw more, but the key words is 'Has To".  With Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Uzomah and Mixon, they have some Serious Skill players, and Burrow's understanding of defensive schemes and concepts should allow them to dictate activity on the field.  The question is can the D be an Average D.  If they can, the Bengals could be an interesting team to watch.  I sure hope they can.

On 8/18/2021 at 7:20 AM, membengal said:

I am sure you all will see this article referenced today on various outlets but Kevin Clark from the Ringer was in town on his tour of camps and his piece is on Burrow and it is a cracking good read (lot of quotes and insight from Burrow):

A lot to react to and discuss, maybe , so a separate thread might be good…

give it a look:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/8/18/22630102/joe-burrow-bengals-nfl-2021-injury-recovery

Really Good Find, Mem!!  

26 minutes ago, kennethmw said:

They may throw more, but the key words is 'Has To".  With Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Uzomah and Mixon, they have some Serious Skill players, and Burrow's understanding of defensive schemes and concepts should allow them to dictate activity on the field.  The question is can the D be an Average D.  If they can, the Bengals could be an interesting team to watch.  I sure hope they can.

Average D and an Average O-line and this can be a playoff team.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Average D and an Average O-line and this can be a playoff team.

I feel pretty good that the D will be significantly better.  Better players on the line and secondary.   Younger LBs should improve.  

Still worried about OL, particularly the depth. 

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

I feel pretty good that the D will be significantly better.  Better players on the line and secondary.   Younger LBs should improve.  

Still worried about OL, particularly the depth. 

We shall see, I know it's the time of year where everyone is hopeful, but I do feel like this team is close to being a playoff team. (Not comitting to them winning in the playoffs yet)

Archived