WFT preseason game

Okay, I missed the original broadcast, but caught much of the 2 a.m. re-broadcast (fell asleep for part of it, and turned it off when the score hit what

i knew to be the final score).  

Just now read thru this thread…and I can’t believe that nobody complained about Theismann.  I know it’s just a pre-season game, but it bugged the shit out of me that he kept saying “we” when talking about the WFT.  

Otherwise, it was an uninspiring performance by the men in orange and black and white.

8 hours ago, Duluoz said:

I'd love it, man, it just DOMINATES every post you make....thanks....and you're not the only one, there's a whole slew of enormous footers that get completely tiresome to see over and over and over.

I have had siggies turned off for years now, and it makes the site much more tolerable.  I mean, that and having some key people on ignore.  ;) 

9 hours ago, kennethmw said:

All three were "Catchable", But at least two were in the Wrong Place.  If he threw the first one in front of him, he'd still be running!!

I don't know man, that one across the middle with Landon Collins covering him he kinda got alligator arms on.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

I don't know man, that one across the middle with Landon Collins covering him he kinda got alligator arms on.

That was the bad one. I had a good view of that one, and he definitely shortened up when Collins came into view. I had the same angle viewing that as Chase had in catching it and I flinched. Chase has to make those catches. The other two well...he should make those too but man was Brandon Allen NOT accurate last night - even when the ball got to his WRs. Higgins had to make a circus catch really on his one catch. 

3 hours ago, CincyInDC said:

I have had siggies turned off for years now, and it makes the site much more tolerable.  I mean, that and having some key people on ignore.  ;) 

Too bad when the ignored poster is quoted it shows up.

Should be a "ignore quoted post" option also 😠

Sat around some really great WFT fans. Had a really nice evening watching the game with them. Will be rooting for WFT in that division, ferocious defense, really like Rivera at head coach, and hard not to pull for Fitzpatrick.

Our defensive line pressure was noteworthy live. What is harder to pick up watching on TV vs live was just how well the defense is flowing to the ball all over the field right now. It looks very different than what I saw last year (I was at the Jax home win). Each unit that came on all clearly seems to have bought into the system and is on the same page with each other. I will be curious what you all see when they get to PBS and you can go next week.

The Awuzie pass break-up of McLaurin in the end zone happened right near me (I was on the 15 on that side). Awuzie was absolutely blanketing McLaurin off the line and stayed perfectly in step with him the whole way. It was super ****ing impressive. I don't know that WJIII ever did better in his years here. After all the reports in camp, the PBU of the ball to Antonio Brown last week, and now this, starting to dream a little bit that Awuzie might actually be a legit CB1. He looks the part.

See previous post just above this for my o-line ob and questions. Again, I thought the lack of Chase Young getting anywhere near Allen was a really good sign that Jonah did well on him. I tried to watch a few plays just on that battle and it looked like Johah did great.

Have no idea who blew the assignment on the first play of the game on the long TE completion, but clearly someone screwed up. After that, there was nothing but tight well communicated coverage. Was that Trae Wayans with the good open field tackle I think to stop WFT short leading to the eventual 3rd and 4th and 1 stops on the second drive? #26? It was a really nice play.

Hodge had some noticeable burst when he first came in. He clearly can run a tight compact arc in rush. Fell off a bit as second quarter wore on - maybe WFT paid more attention to him. Dunno.

Hubbard and Hendickson just with good disciplined pressure but also disciplined in setting the edge. That jumped out.

Tyler Shelvin is a ****ing load. A LOAD. Looked to me like WFT was having to put two guys on him to deal with him at spots. Let others run free to carriers.

Trying to think what else. Oh yeah, McPherson. I mentioned in the game thread and will re-mention here - absolute cannon. Was a joy to watch him warm-up. And then we saw the easy power in the game on the 50-yarder. You what was really REALLY weird? Realizing when they got to the 39 of WFT for the first time that they were in field goal range. Literally, we now have an offense that can get to about 56 yard fg range and you like your chances. This is what Ravens fans have when they watch their O knowing they have Tucker. I think we might have that now. Sorta giddy about this.

I know the coaches wanted to see Evans run the ball and show he could get north south, but given how hard it was to move the ball in general, I wish the staff had given him a few pass routes given he is so good at that. He did show nice burst on those two runs on their one TD drive running the ball.

It was next to impossible for me to tell anything about the o-line from my vantage point. One observation and then some questions for you all:

1. The observation - in terms of pressure -WFT did, at least, NOT have any jailbreaks or obvious pressure on Allen when our #1 o-line was in and, for one drive, the WFT #1 d-line stayed in against our 2s and still, no pressure. To my eye, Jonah Willams did a great job against Chase Young in passing situations. Am I right in those obs?

2. Now, the questions - I think Carmen looked okay in power run blocks - did that get commented on or did you all see that too?

3. Felt like Fred Johnson did well when he came in, in terms of pass blocking, same question - did that get commented on or did you all see that too? I want to feel okay about swing tackle.

4. Was the holding call on Spain on the initial screen pass that might have jump started our offense legit? There was no replay in stadium and it apparently happened well into that play since the penalty just put them back where they started. Mostly curious because it was really far downfield for Spain to have gotten.

Archived