Signed Noah Spence

12 hours ago, SF2 said:

The drop off in talent between a quality starting player and the last player kept at that position on a team is massive in the NFL. Same with the NBA.   

You would be better signing a Geno or  Fitzgerald. 

Burrow vs Allen for example. 

Higgens and Boyd vs Tate and Erickson?  Mammoth difference in talent. 

Signing a guy like Spence is a significant team change from Mikey asking "if any of the TE's can switch to DE"

20 hours ago, bfine said:

Noah was cut by New Orleans; aren't they a winning team?

His torn ACL was about 15 months ago; he appears healthy:

E9gDkNfWQAMOW3Z?format=jpg&name=small

We shall see.  Remember, we are talking about the Bengals medical staff that can’t determine between a wrist and knee injury.  😂 

18 hours ago, SF2 said:

The drop off in talent between a quality starting player and the last player kept at that position on a team is massive in the NFL. Same with the NBA.   

You would be better signing a Geno or  Fitzgerald. 

Burrow vs Allen for example. 

Higgens and Boyd vs Tate and Erickson?  Mammoth difference in talent. 

So you are telling me we can’t find one player of all cut players to replace a 3rd round draft pick?  One of his caliber?  You know even though he has never stepped on an NFL real game field?  Not one?  🤔 

20 minutes ago, TigerJ@w said:

So you are telling me we can’t find one player of all cut players to replace a 3rd round draft pick?  One of his caliber?  You know even though he has never stepped on an NFL real game field?  Not one?  🤔 

I didn’t say that, I am just saying you won’t find anyone who is more than an emergency starter or does clean up duty UNLESS it is simply a cap move.  

The last player we picked up this late that could actually play was 37 year old Terrell Owens.  

I don't think we're necessarily replacing Ossai either...I think Ossai's replacement was already on the team...we're more likely swapping the guy after the guy that is replacing Ossai in the depth chart.  Depends on team competition and how things shake out, maybe Spence will be awesome and jump the depth chart, but in general it's "Next Man Up!" and backfill from there.

4 hours ago, TigerJ@w said:

One that would be as effective as Ossai appeared to be?  No chance.  You can find some depth guy who will make a play every few weeks, but no chance you find an immediate impact player.  Ossai was going to be a factor as a situational pass rusher.  Those guys don't just grow on trees. 

Hell, the best waiver wire pickup we've had in a while is Perine and he's a backup RB.  Finally, teams haven't even made final cuts yet.  The guys getting cut loose now aren't even good enough to play the last exhibition game. 

9 hours ago, SF2 said:

Here is the Bengals transaction history since 2008.  Good luck finding anyone we picked up from another team or an FA (not ours) in late July, August or September that did anything for this team other than Owens.  

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/transactions/_/name/cin/season/

Agreed, it's pretty rare to find a guy that will do much of anything this late into the season. Owens and to a lesser extent and even later than when we signed Owens, was Dhani Jones who was a decent stop gap. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Agreed, it's pretty rare to find a guy that will do much of anything this late into the season. Owens and to a lesser extent and even later than when we signed Owens, was Dhani Jones who was a decent stop gap. 

And Jones was cut more because of the relationship between his salary and production.  They had a better MLB and weren't going to pay Jones as a backup.  Everyone knows who those guys are early on.  Sometimes they are traded.  Sometimes they get cut, but often they are released in the summer.

10 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

One that would be as effective as Ossai appeared to be?  No chance.  You can find some depth guy who will make a play every few weeks, but no chance you find an immediate impact player.  Ossai was going to be a factor as a situational pass rusher.  Those guys don't just grow on trees. 

Hell, the best waiver wire pickup we've had in a while is Perine and he's a backup RB.  Finally, teams haven't even made final cuts yet.  The guys getting cut loose now aren't even good enough to play the last exhibition game. 

To be fair though, Ossai had done ZERO in NFL games so far. He had one good pre-season game. He clearly has potential but he could just as easily faded away for at least his 1st season. 

5 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

To be fair though, Ossai had done ZERO in NFL games so far. He had one good pre-season game. He clearly has potential but he could just as easily faded away for at least his 1st season. 

That's possible, but not likely.  I guess if you expected him to fade away you could find some nobody on waivers to replace him. 

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

That's possible, but not likely.  I guess if you expected him to fade away you could find some nobody on waivers to replace him. 

He was a first year player from round 3 - one would hope he could contribute but even Lawson looked great in camps and preseason but that did not always translate right away. 

It is a loss but we should not have been 'counting' on him do to speak. I hope they can bring him back later in the year.

57 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

He was a first year player from round 3 - one would hope he could contribute but even Lawson looked great in camps and preseason but that did not always translate right away. 

It is a loss but we should not have been 'counting' on him do to speak. I hope they can bring him back later in the year.

After camp and game one I am sure they were "counting" on him to be part of a situational rotation.  Lawson was that as well.  Who knows how it would have worked out, but finding an equivalent player on the waiver wire is highly unlikely. 

Archived