The Annual Bengals Prediction Thread!

Predictions  

37 members have voted

1. 1. How many yards does Joe Burrow throw for?

2. 2. How many passing TDs?

3. 3. How many yards does Mixon run for?

4. 4. How many 1000 yard receivers do the Bengals have?

5. 5. Who leads the team in receptions?

6. 6. Who leads the team in receiving yards?

7. 7. Who leads the team in sacks?

8. 8. Who leads the team in interceptions?

9. 9. Where does the offense finish in total yards?

10. 10. Where does the defense finish in total yards?

11. 11. How many games do the Bengals win?

12. 12. Make the playoffs?

13. 13. Win a playoff game?

Gee why doesn't Eric Bieniemy have a head coaching job?  Because he's black.  Full stop.

The reasons given in this thread are pathetic.  All due to Mahomes?  That hasn't stopped other OCs who have gotten HC jobs after working with a great QB.

Legal problems?  Yeah Mike Vrabel has a clean track record.  Urban Meyer covered up a wife beater on his coaching staff - a coach who wasn't any good to begin with. 

I guess you all believe Kaepernick doesn't have a job because he isn't any good either?  I bet he could suit up next week and outplay that useless turd Dullton. 

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

In context, the fact that he got rid of them speaks more clearly to his coaching skills.

None are still with the team, and two are out of pro football.

Sure after 2 disastrous seasons, he turfs Turner. And if I recall Taylor has a been the worst coach in the league for the last two seasons. 

2 hours ago, tibor75 said:

Gee why doesn't Eric Bieniemy have a head coaching job?  Because he's black.  Full stop.

The reasons given in this thread are pathetic.  All due to Mahomes?  That hasn't stopped other OCs who have gotten HC jobs after working with a great QB.

Legal problems?  Yeah Mike Vrabel has a clean track record.  Urban Meyer covered up a wife beater on his coaching staff - a coach who wasn't any good to begin with. 

I guess you all believe Kaepernick doesn't have a job because he isn't any good either?  I bet he could suit up next week and outplay that useless turd Dullton. 

He's not wrong.

13 hours ago, SF2 said:

But that is the case with just about anyone coming here.  Most new coaches come from coordinating jobs on  successful programs. 

Yep.  Taylor was a QB coach for a one year wonder.  At least Bienimy has multiple years working as a coordinator for one of the best offensive coaches of the past 20 years. 

Not saying they should have hired Bienimy, but his qualifications on paper were significantly greater than Taylor’s. 

4 hours ago, tibor75 said:

Elephant in the room.  

Maybe so.  There are a lot of odd stuff that goes on in front offices.  I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.  Hate to think that’s the reason, but it certainly could be. 

4 hours ago, High School Harry said:

In context, the fact that he got rid of them speaks more clearly to his coaching skills.

None are still with the team, and two are out of pro football.

He did, or was he forced to get rid of them?  Wasn’t Turner some kind of family member?  We’ll never know for sure. 

On 9/5/2021 at 11:01 PM, UncleEarl said:

He did, or was he forced to get rid of them?  Wasn’t Turner some kind of family member?  We’ll never know for sure. 

Turner is Taylor's father-in-law's friend and Turner was on the staff when Taylor first got into coaching on Texas A&M staff. 

It was the good ol boy network and nepotism at it's finest. Not only that it completely undermined Taylor on many levels. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/5-keys-to-the-bengals-success-in-2021/ar-AAOcjJO?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBnbfcL

5 Keys to the Bengals’ success in 2021

Capt. O.B. Vious  22 hrs ago

Bengals fans are encouraged by improved defensive play in the preseason, excited about reuniting one of the most prolific quarterback/wide receiver tandems in NCAA history, and thrilled to see Joe Burrow and crew take the field in new stripes. 

This team could be much better in 2021, but there are a few things they need to do. Here are 5 keys to their success this season.

Stay Healthy

You knew this one was coming.

While the Bengals have improved their overall depth, it is still lacking in some areas. For instance, the starting offensive line is much better than it was at this time last season, thanks to the addition of Riley Reiff and Quinton Spain, who joined the club midway through last year. While there is a lot of talent behind that first unit, there is very little experience. An injury on the offensive line would force one of these young players to develop quickly or put the season in jeopardy. 

Coaching Up Front

It is clear that the Bengals’ offensive line needs to step up, both to allow the run game to flourish and to give Burrow time to do his thing. The addition of Reiff at right tackle was huge, and they should have at least stabilized the guard position as well. The biggest factor is the coaching change. If Frank Pollack is as good as we all hope he is, this unit will no longer be a liability and could grow into a strength down the line. 

The defensive line was also a huge issue last season. They got pushed around in the run game and failed to put consistent pressure on the quarterback. There have been many changes at this position. Franchise legends Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins are gone, as is Carl Lawson. The addition of Trey Hendrickson and Larry Ogunjobi could make a big difference, as could the return of D.J. Reader and Josh Tupou. The biggest difference however maybe be on the sideline. 

This was a group that underachieved last season and at times hung the rest of the defense out to dry. They need to get more out of this unit and that is just what new position coach Marion Hobby was brought in to do. 

Outside Cornerbacks Pan Out

Cornerback was a big problem for the Bengals last season. They had William Jackson III on one side, but after Trae Waynes went down, the other side was a real issue. 

Now Jackson is gone, and they go into Week 1 without Waynes once again.

Chidobe Awuzie reportedly had an excellent camp and Eli Apple will line up opposite him in Week 1. While starting Apple is not ideal, it is an improvement from where they were at last season. Apple is a talented player, who has failed to demonstrate his full potential at the pro level. Getting the most out of him will not be an easy task, but the skillset is there. 

For this team to succeed they need to have strong play from their outside corners. Waynes needs to be on the field and he and Awuzie need to prove that they can get the job done.

Linebackers Develop 

The Bengals’ talent at linebacker is countered by minimal experience. They go into the season starting a pair of third-round picks, and only one of them has started a full season. 

Germaine Pratt enters his third season. He played at a decent level last year, but he still needs to take a step forward. Pratt could be an excellent player, and the time is now for him to show that. 

As a rookie last season, Logan Wilson was impressive and will be wearing the radio helmet for the defensive this year. He has excellent speed and reads the pass well. Both traits give him a chance to be a special player as well.

Wilson is joined by two more talented sophomores. Akeem Davis-Gaither did some good things last year and brings versatility as a blitzer. Markus Bailey is an extremely intelligent player who was only available at the end of the draft due to injury. Both should play a larger role this season.

Burrow and the Boys

For all the improvements on defense and talk of running the ball, this team will go only as far as Joe Burrow takes it. That’s what it comes down to. 

Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd are two proven receivers, and we haven’t even seen Higgins’ final form yet, but Ja’Marr Chase stepping up and being an impact player would do wonders for this unit. It’s why he was brought in with the fifth-overall pick. 

All three of these receivers along with Auden Tate and C.J. Uzomah working together can make this passing game something special with Burrow at the helm.

Can he find the magic to create big plays as consistently as he did in college? 

That’s the question that will determine this team’s success in 2021.

Too many things need to go right. You have to hope that the offensive line suddenly becomes competent, and that somehow allows Burrow to play all 17 games. You have to hope that the defense takes a major step forward. 

Zac Taylor showed me nothing last year. I don't trust him late in games. Last year the team looked unorganized. Penalties, blown plays, the works. This team isn't good enough to win and make those mistakes.

The pre-season was a sh*t show. It was for quite a few teams. What I didn't see was an O-Line coming together, a QB syncing up with his receivers. Zac Taylor expects me to have faith in the new O-Line and Joe Burrow playing 17 games, but he doesn't have enough faith to put him out there for any real snaps. IMHO... That's all you need to know.I suspect that we'll start slow and by mid-season the news will be buzzing about Zac Taylor's replacement. Players will suddenly develop severe fuckit injuries at an alarming rate.

I predict this is going to be a Shula year. Maybe we win 3-4 games before the wheels fall off and one more because a plucky practice squad player wants to sign with Cleveland. Many platitudes will be written about "just finishing the play" and how Joe Burrow would have had 9,000 passing yards if he hadn't gotten injured in the 7th game. Darn the "luck". And you know, we lost 10 of those games by less than a touchdown... Close games. The corner, we're rounding it.

Mixon, Boyd, Burrow, Chase... All of these skill positions mean nothing if you can't block up front. And it's hard to overcome the penalties the o-line was making even in the pre-season.

Honestly I've seen little that tells me this team is ready to play football. They realistically have ~10 winnable games on their schedule, and this team and coaching staff has been far from clutch. 5-12 last in the AFC North. Zac Taylor is fired and replaced with the ball boy for whatever team wins the super bowl.

18 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Too many things need to go right. You have to hope that the offensive line suddenly becomes competent, and that somehow allows Burrow to play all 17 games. You have to hope that the defense takes a major step forward. 

Zac Taylor showed me nothing last year. I don't trust him late in games. Last year the team looked unorganized. Penalties, blown plays, the works. This team isn't good enough to win and make those mistakes.

The pre-season was a sh*t show. It was for quite a few teams. What I didn't see was an O-Line coming together, a QB syncing up with his receivers. Zac Taylor expects me to have faith in the new O-Line and Joe Burrow playing 17 games, but he doesn't have enough faith to put him out there for any real snaps. IMHO... That's all you need to know.I suspect that we'll start slow and by mid-season the news will be buzzing about Zac Taylor's replacement. Players will suddenly develop severe fuckit injuries at an alarming rate.

I predict this is going to be a Shula year. Maybe we win 3-4 games before the wheels fall off and one more because a plucky practice squad player wants to sign with Cleveland. Many platitudes will be written about "just finishing the play" and how Joe Burrow would have had 9,000 passing yards if he hadn't gotten injured in the 7th game. Darn the "luck". And you know, we lost 10 of those games by less than a touchdown... Close games. The corner, we're rounding it.

Mixon, Boyd, Burrow, Chase... All of these skill positions mean nothing if you can't block up front. And it's hard to overcome the penalties the o-line was making even in the pre-season.

Honestly I've seen little that tells me this team is ready to play football. They realistically have ~10 winnable games on their schedule, and this team and coaching staff has been far from clutch. 5-12 last in the AFC North. Zac Taylor is fired and replaced with the ball boy for whatever team wins the super bowl.

So you think there’s a chance?

8 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

How many sacks did the O-line give up in the preseason?

8 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

How many sacks did the O-line give up in the preseason?

Against mostly backups playing vanilla schemes? 

PFF has them ranked #24 after the preseason. That pretty much backs up what my eyes saw. Hell, it's generous.

Can a below average line keep Burrow playing all 17 games? That's a heck of a maybe.

3 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

PFF has them ranked #24 after the preseason. That pretty much backs up what my eyes saw. Hell, it's generous.

Can a below average line keep Burrow playing all 17 games? That's a heck of a maybe.

The answer is zero

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

I see where your coming from but I see two good OTs and vet interior linemen..

My problem is depth..

This is where Coach Pollack will do the greatest good with his teaching methods for the younger ones..

We'll see soon enough..

19 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

I see where your coming from but I see two good OTs and vet interior linemen..

My problem is depth..

This is where Coach Pollack will do the greatest good with his teaching methods for the younger ones..

We'll see soon enough..

I see 1 ok veteran OT, another tackle who has played 10 games in 2 years and a bunch of unproven or average at best interior linemen.   Sure, it’s better than the dogshit we had last year but that is like saying Loverboy is better than Golden Earring.  

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

I see 1 ok veteran OT, another tackle who has played 10 games in 2 years and a bunch of unproven or average at best interior linemen.   Sure, it’s better than the dogshit we had last year but that is like saying Loverboy is better than Golden Earring.  

Well your comment is under my Radar..

Ill think of that as Im Working this werkend...

Archived