Chase: "NFL ball harder to catch than NCAA ball."

3 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

He's literally not had anything to say until the press conference the other day, otherwise he's remained quiet. 

2 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

He's literally not had anything to say until the press conference the other day, otherwise he's remained quiet. 

I know, but making the media rounds talking about his drops isn’t a great idea. He fed them a headline that has him trending on Twitter for the wrong reason.  Go out and have a good game, then talk. 

10 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I know, but making the media rounds talking about his drops isn’t a great idea. He fed them a headline that has him trending on Twitter for the wrong reason.  Go out and have a good game, then talk. 

I wonder how the coaching staff decides who does and who does not go before the media?

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

I wonder how the coaching staff decides who does and who does not go before the media?

Coaches?  They should have a media relations guy who works with the players and coaches on that stuff. There are requirements to speak to the press, but beyond press conferences?  

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Believe it or not, it crossed my mind that *maybe* having the white stripes missing actually affects Chase more than... well, anyone ever?  The reality is he's not wrong, but it's nowhere near an excuse to not catch it.  My deeper thought in this context was:  maybe Chase is just "Lens Crafters 2.0"?  In other words - dude needs contacts.

27 minutes ago, HavePityPlease said:

Believe it or not, it crossed my mind that *maybe* having the white stripes missing actually affects Chase more than... well, anyone ever?  The reality is he's not wrong, but it's nowhere near an excuse to not catch it.  My deeper thought in this context was:  maybe Chase is just "Lens Crafters 2.0"?  In other words - dude needs contacts.

Peter Warrick 2.0?

Should he have said it - probably not.  Doesn't change the fact that it's all entirely correct and a few QBs have made comments about the size / shape of the ball being different than college and how it caused them problems.  In the end - haters are going to hate no matter what.  People are looking and hoping for any reason to trash him and the Bengals which goes back to why he probably shouldn't have said anything about it.

2 minutes ago, Griever said:

From his actual words, though, it was easily inferred if not actually implied.  "I have to focus on a new part of the ball" means he's changing how he catches footballs.  Since he's been dropping them in game action, it follows he's not "done" changing.

19 minutes ago, BBR said:

Should he have said it - probably not.  Doesn't change the fact that it's all entirely correct and a few QBs have made comments about the size / shape of the ball being different than college and how it caused them problems.  In the end - haters are going to hate no matter what.  People are looking and hoping for any reason to trash him and the Bengals which goes back to why he probably shouldn't have said anything about it.

There really isn't enough going on to support the full onslaught of media in real life much less in sports.  They are out there looking for something.  He gave it to them.  They probably did twist his words, but some in the media will do that as well.  Look how well it worked!  It was trending on Twitter.  Big win for PFT.  If you read more into the article Chase talks about how none of it really matters as it's his job to catch the ball.  Sadly, that doesn't get seen on social media by 99% of people, just the differences in the football stuff.  Hope he learns from this situation. 

At the end of the day it's entertaining, in a bad way for Bengals fans, but doesn't mean squat.  Hopefully Chase isn't over the top on social media and gets twisted up by this.

this thread is so dramatic.

id assume, like all media does, he was hounded by the media about the drops, they tried every angle, and finally got one, what else would they do? they asked if the ball was different, he said how it was different, he did not say it was harder to catch, as he states in his own tweet after the dumb article came out

lesson learned for talking to shithead media. 

As for who is made available to the media, it used to be, and may still be, as it is in the NBA currently, the media requests players they want to talk to, PR supplies them. a player CAN be unavailable now and then, but there needs to be a reason, a good one, or they will be fined for not showing. 

so its not like the bengals offer up players to the media. the media is all but guaranteed access. 

Archived