Vikings at Bengals - Good, Bad, & Ugly

Good:

1.  Hearing from far away friends sharing a long distance Whodey.

2.  We won.

3.  No major injuries.

Bad:

1.  Blowing a big lead.

2.  Reminders of the cardiac year of 2009 where every game came down to the wire.

3.  Rookie errors and penalties.

Ugly:

?  Not sure I can come up with much in this area.

Good:

- Jessie Bates makes plays all over.

- The d-line is a beast of a unit and the run D seems totally legit - and the pass rush is showing potential to be a difference maker if deployed correctly.

-  The offense made plays when they had to.

- Joe^2

- Chase erased the drops talk.

- McPherson was as advertised.

- Pratt looked more like a football player than he has in previous seasons and made a difference.  Really made solid tackles instead of weird wrestling-move style plays.

Bad:

- Corner play is not a finished product, hopefully Waynes is back sooner rather than later (let's stay real and admit Cousins had several poor throws that should have been easy completions).

- Hopkins looked like a guy coming off injury.  Can't have it if they keep asking him to stand up nose tackles alone.

- Mike Thomas should be benched, dude is like an athlete off the street they're just throwing out there.  We need reliable football players.

Ugly:

- Zac Taylor's decision making.

- Perine's pass pro.

- Eli Apple's gaffes.

Good 

Joe squared (Burrow and Mixon)

Larry Ogunjobi..... man what a game

Hendrickson

Jamar Chase

Su'a-Filo had a above average game

CJ Uzomah

McPherson 

Bad 

Perine's bitz pickup

Hopkins wiffed on 2 sacks

Apple cost us a TD all by himself in 3 consecutive plays

Ugly

Taylor going for it on 4th at their 30

Good: 

Defensive line, especially Big Larry and Hendrickson, though Hendrickson seemed to run out of gas as the game went on. 

Joe Mixon.  Just a solid game.  Did most everything right.

Joe Burrow.  When they put the game in his hands good things happened.

J'Marr Chase:  Way to put that drop issue to bed! 

McPherson:  As advertised.

Bates and Bell:  Also as advertised.

Bad: 

Hopkins.  Bad pass pro and likely some missed calls on the line that allowed free rushers.  He has to be better or Burrow won't survive the season.

Apple:  Absolute collapse after the missed tackle on Cook.  Fell apart on that drive, but recovered after.  As Ted Lasso would say, "be a goldfish."

Hubbard:  did they call his name even once?

Ugly:

Zac Taylor's play calling.  From the conservative start, to the obscene 4th and 1 on their own 30, to the jailbreak blitz on a vet QB, to going conservative at the end of the game.  This guy is over his head.  They are going to have to overcome his buffoonery to win games. 

My thoughts---

---a good reminder that if Burrow can stay uninjured, he is THAT guy

---The line did fine protecting him - the worst hits came on questionable protection schemes (Sample/Perine on Hunter was no bueno - CJ missing an assignment and allowing a free blizter up the middle)

---Enjoyed seeing them try and assert some dominance with Mixon - baby steps 

---I too hated ZT going for it - but in hindsight will amend that to...I hated the play call. At least ZT isn't scared

---Hated the play call on 3rd and 4 on first play out of two minute warning too - a 1st down there and game is over and instead a run. Thought maybe ZT got in his own head after the 3rd quarter going for it when awry

---The d-line were beasts. Especially interior. We can do some business as year goes on if that is the case. 

---They also did a nice job on Cook all things considered

--I guess after Apple's disastrous series he was 'aight but man I hope Wayans can get back. 

---What a fucking play from Pratt to force the fumble. Replay of Hill fumbling against Stealers - similar close call too.  I would have lost my shit if they had overturned the call on the field since Hill's fumble stood in the playoff disaster

---Glad to see Chase bury the narrative right away. He and Higgins and Boyd are going to be such a matchup advantage.

---God Mixon looked good. 

---Having McPherson is...well...it's so damn nice. 

---Glad to see some breaks come our way - feels like we just need a little oxygen to feed the spark here. Burrow can lead this team to great places. 

GOOD

Joe Burrow is the man. 261 yards, 74% completion rate and 2 TDs in his first game in 294 days.

Joe Mixon. Good hard running by Mixon today. He was a real asset to the offense. His game allowed the Bengals to make the play action pass work effectively.

Ja'Marr Chase had a great debut. 5 catches on 7 targets for 101 yards and a TD.

Germaine Pratt with a game changing forced fumble. He also had 8 tackles and a tackle for a loss. Not a bad day.

Chidobe Awuzie. I thought he played well. If Waynes gets back healthy they will be a solid CB duo.

Mike Hilton is going to be a great addition at slot corner.

Jessie Bates (pay him now) and Vonn Bell were laying wood today. Really liked it.

BJ Hill was a force. 2 sacks and 2 TFLs

It seemed like Larry Ogunjobi was in the backfield all game. 
Even though the numbers don't really reflect it, I thought the defense played well.

McPherson...it's so nice to have a kicker!

BAD

Brandon Wilson's horrible return late in the fourth quarter

Offensive line allowed five sacks. In the early going it appears they didn't do enough in the offseason to address the area which isn't a surprise to many on here.

Fourth quarter. The game got a real "same old Bengals" feel in the fourth quarter. We got lucky.

Vanilla offense in the first and fourth quarters. It was awful. Playing not to lose. Terrible.

Apple looked like Apple

UGLY

Zac Taylor's ridiculous call to go for it on fourth down in the 3rd quarter. What the actual fuck.

24 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Vanilla offense in the first and fourth quarters. It was awful. Playing not to lose. Terrible.

I can't explain the crap calling in the first quarter, but he fourth i seem to remember the announcers saying that Tee and another WR (Chase?) were getting bags because of cramps. Also, I think Burrow was hurt more then he showed on that one sack where he limped off. Hope I'm wrong about that.

Good: 

We won

McPherson's leg

Defense holding Cook to 60 yards

Bad:

Eli Apple- Damn son. And you were a 1st round pick if I'm not mistaken.

Trey Hopkins giving up 2 sacks

Ugly: 

Darius Phillips fair catch inside the 10. Reminiscent of Brandon Tate

It took some serious balls to go for it in that situation today and the only reason it failed was because Mixon slipped. If he doesn’t almost fall down and he picks up the yardage, no one is saying a word. I actually give him credit for going for the jugular there. 1-0 is what matters. 

12 minutes ago, gupps said:

I can't explain the crap calling in the first quarter, but he fourth i seem to remember the announcers saying that Tee and another WR (Chase?) were getting bags because of cramps. Also, I think Burrow was hurt more then he showed on that one sack where he limped off. Hope I'm wrong about that.

He says he is fine. It's probably more the other thing. 

The first quarter was basically like a pre-season game - probably an after-effect of them not really playing at all. Vikings had similar issues. 

Just now, spicoli said:

It took some serious balls to go for it in that situation today and the only reason it failed was because Mixon slipped. If he doesn’t almost fall down and he picks up the yardage, no one is saying a word. I actually give him credit for going for the jugular there. 1-0 is what matters. 

Yeah, that's where I am landing. I respect the thought process, I suspect a better playcall makes it more likely to succeed. But, at least ZT didn't coach scared. 

19 minutes ago, membengal said:

He says he is fine. It's probably more the other thing. 

The first quarter was basically like a pre-season game - probably an after-effect of them not really playing at all. Vikings had similar issues. 

FWIW in his presser Joe confirmed it was his ankle and not his knee.  We can all breathe.

😌

The Good...

The game day thread and all who contributed.  Missed a lot of that at the game itself.

Ditto this thread.

Didn't even get post game radio on the way home.  Son and I stayed at the Banks for dinner

and 700 was covering the Reds when I turned on the radio.  WEBN was playing the same shit

they played 30 years ago when they were popular.

Questions...

On the Bengals lone recovered fumble... who caused it and who recovered?  I don't think the in house announcer knew because it was never called.

I assume Pratt because he was getting a lot of love on the sideline so I assume it was him but who recovered?

I was not even aware that BJ Hill was active on the team until I heard his name called on a sack.  When did he come up and who did we cut?

There were a couple times, one in particular, where I thought Zac should have thrown the challenge flag.  Viking receiver caught a  ball, started to

true with possession and was drilled and lost it.  Bengals recovered.  Called incomplete.  Showed a couple times on the scoreboard.  Huh?

I agree with Gupps comment above.  I thought Joe was more hurt from the sack than people here seem to think.  He pretty much quit passing

handing off to Mixon.  No variety of play calling.  

Props and +1's to all.

Archived