Bengals at Bears Game Thread - 2021 Season Week 2

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Wait, are you saying that Burrow almost won that game because the reality is he played like shit and lost it. 

Im just saying that when you’re playing on the road, sometimes a shot to win it at the end of the game is all you can ask for. Even with all the bullshit, they were a Hendrickson missed tackle away from being 2-0, IMO. 

4 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Im just saying that when you’re playing on the road, sometimes a shot to win it at the end of the game is all you can ask for. Even with all the bullshit, they were a Hendrickson missed tackle away from being 2-0, IMO. 

Sometimes, but blaming Hendrickson for missing the last big play of the game doesn't absolve others for the other big plays they screwed up. 

15 minutes ago, spicoli said:

And they are a lucky fumble away from being 0-2

13 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Sometimes, but blaming Hendrickson for missing the last big play of the game doesn't absolve others for the other big plays they screwed up. 

No no I’m not blaming Hendrickson, I understand how hard of a play it is to make on a guy like that one on one. I’m just saying that despite all the garbage, it was that close. 

1 hour ago, Jupiter Fan said:

Does it matter the way this team is playing at this point? I just want to keep Joe B semi healthy thru this season. 

Next Sunday will tell me where this team is...Shitsburgh is a very winnable game even in their house, they are not good and neither are we. We'll see who has the most guts and better coaching.

Taylor vs Tomlin? Anyone wanna take bets on who would win that?

I have a feeling Tomlin is going to have the Stealers playing angry, Joe better have his head on a swivel.

17 minutes ago, spicoli said:

No no I’m not blaming Hendrickson, I understand how hard of a play it is to make on a guy like that one on one. I’m just saying that despite all the garbage, it was that close. 

True.  Shows how crappy the Bears really are.  The Bengals gift wrapped the game and they almost blew it.

19 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I'm gonna say it

Zack Taylor has given Joe Burrow permission to check into his own plays as far as I can recall

If they were sitting on routes and Jamar thinks we could have gone deeper earlier

That's on Joe

Maybe.  Not sure how many options Burrow has at the LOS.  Does every play have a deep route option? 

The line has to give him enough time for the deep routes to develop, and I'm not sure he's getting that on a consistent basis. I'd almost say it's time to put Carman out there, but I'm not sure his first start should be against the Stealers.

1 minute ago, gupps said:

The line has to give him enough time for the deep routes to develop, and I'm not sure he's getting that on a consistent basis. I'd almost say it's time to put Carman out there, but I'm not sure his first start should be against the Stealers.

Not sure that would help.  Seem to be breakdowns in assignments far too often.  I'm not impressed with Sua-Filo, but I think the Bengals would love for Carman to be playing and would be if ready. 

I also went looking at the sack rates for Burrow last season and compared it to Allen.  Burrow was sacked a lot more often.  I guess it shouldn't be surprising if an inexperienced QB is missing reads for blitzes and coverages.  It would explain some of these unblocked guys as well.  Some of this could very well be on Burrow.

1 hour ago, Jupiter Fan said:

Respectible in score doesn't make it respectable as a game. They got their asses kicked.

I'd classify today's game as a shitshow of a totally unprepared team to go on the road against a very beatable opponent.

Who is responsible for preparation and further, making adjustments in real game time?

I think we know.

I agree totally 

4 hours ago, DudleyDawson said:

Just an observation but if the Bengals try to go deep more often and Burrow gets sacked, the reaction is the line is weak .. have to get the ball out quick .. bad coaching. If they get it out quick and throw a couple ints, the reaction is the D was sitting on the routes should have thrown deep .. bad coaching. And if neither the deep or quick passing game is working, should have run the ball more .. bad coaching. 

Kind of the same thing with people who claim they know what plays are coming. you know there is only 2 options: run or pass. so if you're basing it off run or pass, it'll seem like you know most of the plays. But if you're looking at packages and formations, you see a totally different scheme/game. Just saying.

You HAVE to throw the ball short to keep the blitz at bay, open up the run game, tec... When your line can't open holes on their own or protect the QB on long plays. The left side was just awful today.

6 minutes ago, spicoli said:

It wasn’t close.  We were down 20-3 halfway thru the 4th quarter.  Chicago going into a prevent and Fields throwing a horrible interception doesn’t change the fact that our offense was TERRIBLE.   Burrow was terrible today.    

17 minutes ago, SF2 said:

It wasn’t close.  We were down 20-3 halfway thru the 4th quarter.  Chicago going into a prevent and Fields throwing a horrible interception doesn’t change the fact that our offense was TERRIBLE.   Burrow was terrible today.    

I don’t disagree with any of that. I didn’t say otherwise. 

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

I don’t disagree with any of that. I didn’t say otherwise. 

Sorry man, I am just tired of this franchise coming off a nice win only to follow it up with an abysmal showing.

I need to preface that the defense played well on the road today.  Our offense was not watchable. 

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Not sure that would help.  Seem to be breakdowns in assignments far too often.  I'm not impressed with Sua-Filo, but I think the Bengals would love for Carman to be playing and would be if ready. 

I also went looking at the sack rates for Burrow last season and compared it to Allen.  Burrow was sacked a lot more often.  I guess it shouldn't be surprising if an inexperienced QB is missing reads for blitzes and coverages.  It would explain some of these unblocked guys as well.  Some of this could very well be on Burrow.

Did Shula not call a lot more pass plays , many with minimal protection with Burrow in the game compared to Allen?

44 minutes ago, SF2 said:

He even admitted during post game that he was forcing it because they were behind.  He said, I should’ve let the game come to me or play out.  Without his turnovers, we may or may not have won, but he should not be forcing anything. He is not there to attempt to do that.  Meaning, he isn’t Tom Brady.  

2 hours ago, Jupiter Fan said:

Respectible in score doesn't make it respectable as a game. They got their asses kicked.

I'd classify today's game as a shitshow of a totally unprepared team to go on the road against a very beatable opponent.

Who is responsible for preparation and further, making adjustments in real game time?

I think we know.

No fire the team save 3 or 4 starters..

ZT is so laid back they should put a rollin recliner out their for him..

Where is the fire in this team?

Wherever it is its not even close to enough..

7 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Did Shula not call a lot more pass plays , many with minimal protection with Burrow in the game compared to Allen?

Eh...hard to tell.  My memory isn't that good.  Burrow was sacked 7.3% of dropbacks, Allen 4.7%.  For some contrast...Ryan Finley was sacked 22% of dropbacks.  I just think there is something to Burrow being inexperienced and the number of sacks. 

36 minutes ago, SF2 said:

Sorry man, I am just tired of this franchise coming off a nice win only to follow it up with an abysmal showing.

I need to preface that the defense played well on the road today.  Our offense was not watchable today. 

FWIW, before today, the Bengals were 5-0 coming off an OT game.

8 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Bell taunted??.

Ridiculous call to me...

Caught Tim McGee one one of the later post game shows and he really teed off saying exactly what you said.

"They're grown men..." etc.

I'm just upset the refs were not as diligent with all the late hits on Burrow or at least as diligent as

when Hubbard bumped shoulders with Andy.  

17 hours ago, spicoli said:

Exactly.  And in the past we lose that game 20-3.  Burrow is more pissed at himself that any of you bastards, and on this board that's almost impossible!!

Archived