Passive Playcalling

I never understand the ultra conservative play calling so many coaches default to to start NFL games.  It’s not college where you can simply overpower some teams.   Gotta have a better scheme to start off the game. 

19 minutes ago, SF2 said:

I never understand the ultra conservative play calling so many coaches default to to start NFL games.  It’s not college where you can simply overpower some teams.   Gotta have a better scheme to start off the game. 

I think back in the day when Bill Walsh started the 'first 25 plays are scripted' scenario it may have been, or partly been, to take away the human nature factor in early game play calling. 

Taylor's play calling is just sporadic, he did that dumb 4th down gamble last week because he said he wanted to be aggressive - but his play calling after that was super conservative. And if you want to take shots down the filed with all the WR weapons, dammit you need an OL. 

The mixed bag that Taylor is fits very well with the organization, no real purpose and plan for the team. 

Stop going with empty sets. I don't care if Joe likes them are not. The offensive line cannot handle the rush without help. You're not at LSU anymore. RB, TE and 3 WRs. 

Also, try using the same sets for running and passing so it's not so damn obvious.

A screen pass maybe?!? Have they even thrown one this year?

And, make Burrow move...roll out...give him more time. 

2 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Stop going with empty sets. I don't care if Joe likes them are not. The offensive line cannot handle the rush without help. You're not at LSU anymore. RB, TE and 3 WRs. 

Also, try using the same sets for running and passing so it's not so damn obvious.

A screen pass maybe?!? Have they even thrown one this year?

And, make Burrow move...roll out...give him more time. 

Pfffft!!!   Those are all old-school solutions.  Zac Taylor is a new-age, or whatever they call it, coach! 

This is the kind of shit we can't keep hearing after these games:

Trailing 7-0 on their first drive, they had first down at the Bears 35. Burrow went empty and quick on first and second down that were well covered incompletions. Then on third and 10 Burrow tried to go deep, but a twist by Robert Quinn and Khalil Mack strafed the left side of the offensive line.

"I wish I could take that call back. Took a sack, out of field range," Taylor said. "That would have given us seven to three there and a little bit of momentum there, just to get points on the board against a team like that. I kick myself for that call."

For the second week in a row Taylor moved the momentum needle heavily toward the opponent in the name of "being aggressive" when from his perspective (not ours, we already knew) it was stupid in hindsight.  Yeah, if they hit the long ball there everyone's happy and everyone thinks it was a great call; but it's not rocket science:  if the risks outweigh the rewards by that much, you pick a play you trust that has far less of a momentum-changing risk.  If you hit that, you're still being aggressive, you still have a chance at the points, but at least you don't flip the field if it fails.

I also agree that it's quite possible these guys are game-planning around the O-line's (significant) limitations.  What an indictment of our offseason, if true...

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

Pfffft!!!   Those are all old-school solutions.  Zac Taylor is a new-age, or whatever they call it, coach! 

I mean if you are Lamar Jackson or Kyler Murray an empty set works but Joe is only running under real duress. 

2 hours ago, High School Harry said:

The correct answer is "Why do we have to appease Joe Mixon?"

I don't get that either, m'friend. 

This is gonna be controversial - but I don't think he's as great as some Bengals fans think he is. He'd be wonderful on a good run-blocking team, but we ain't that.

7 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

This is the kind of shit we can't keep hearing after these games:

For the second week in a row Taylor moved the momentum needle heavily toward the opponent in the name of "being aggressive" when from his perspective (not ours, we already knew) it was stupid in hindsight.  Yeah, if they hit the long ball there everyone's happy and everyone thinks it was a great call; but it's not rocket science:  if the risks outweigh the rewards by that much, you pick a play you trust that has far less of a momentum-changing risk.  If you hit that, you're still being aggressive, you still have a chance at the points, but at least you don't flip the field if it fails.

I also agree that it's quite possible these guys are game-planning around the O-line's (significant) limitations.  What an indictment of our offseason, if true...

Oline limitation schemes..

It surely is..

11 hours ago, Cricket said:

Barry Sanders is 53 years old.  I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that Joe Mixon is a better option…

:ninja: 

You're probably right...maybe...the other day online there was a commercial with this OJ fella running through the airport...now he had moves.  Maybe we should check him out.

14 hours ago, spicoli said:

Ok, so who’d be wonderful on a terrible run-blocking team then? I’m curious. 

Very simple. They just need to go down to the Corey Dillon store and pick up a new rookie model. Or we could maybe look at some OL that might be able to run block?

34 minutes ago, Cat said:

Very simple. They just need to go down to the Corey Dillon store and pick up a new rookie model. Or we could maybe look at some OL that might be able to run block?

The Bengals seem to draft OL with pass blocking as first priority.  Williams is considered an undersized tackle, but very athletic.  The Bengals also love converting college tackles into guards, again I believe that is so they are better pass blockers.  Considering where the game is today that makes sense.  Most good offenses mix in the run after establishing the pass anyway, although there are some exceptions. 

The big problem with empty sets is it puts pressure on two things, the offensive line and the QB. Problem is, our offensive line is crappy and our QB is inexperienced. Joe also needs to start moving in the pocket and throwing the ball away sometimes. This is not just in empty sets, it's all the time. Against the Bears he was a statue.

Again, the play calling should be working to the strengths and away from the weaknesses of the offense. This isn't happening and it's not working. With the talent this team has on offense, they should be flying despite the offensive line.  

This is all a continuation of what we've seen from Taylor and crew for their entire tenure.  I totally agree that they're not playing to strengths and mitigating weaknesses, which was the best argument in *support* of Anarumo the previous two seasons - maybe he didn't have the personnel for this scheme?...  To me that's not a great excuse because you're never likely to have an ideal set of starters, but it seems now that Anarumo has been able to assemble 100% of his own crew it's all falling into place.   

It seems clear enough we don't have the personnel for Taylor's scheme, at least not on the OL, and as per my earlier statement he just seems to stubbornly push ahead with his game plans regardless of the personnel and their ability to execute it.  Like Anarumo he needs to find the guys that can do this shit or accept reality and pare it down to what works.  This is why I thought the execution of the latter half of game one was smart, as well as the basic idea of playing under center.  If it's partially because Joe's lobbying for the 5-receiver sets - sorry bud, we don't have the horses to do it right now - if you want to win we have to do it in other ways.

Archived