Bengals at Stealers - Good, Bad, & Ugly

I still stand by being disappointed in Burrow today.  Yes, he was efficient but I expect more out of him.  Did the Bengals even get one first down after going up 24-7?  That's unacceptable.

The ugly is not being able to run out the clock with Mixon getting stuffed on 3rd and 1.  I was half-expecting some defensive player getting injured on the next possession.

The ugliest thing was how pathetic the Bears looked today.  I still can't believe we lost to them last week.  They suck. 

1 hour ago, tibor75 said:

I still stand by being disappointed in Burrow today.  Yes, he was efficient but I expect more out of him.  Did the Bengals even get one first down after going up 24-7?  That's unacceptable.

The ugly is not being able to run out the clock with Mixon getting stuffed on 3rd and 1.  I was half-expecting some defensive player getting injured on the next possession.

The ugliest thing was how pathetic the Bears looked today.  I still can't believe we lost to them last week.  They suck. 

Andy Dalton is much better than Justin Fields right now, unfortunately for us.

1 hour ago, tibor75 said:

Ah yes, we should be getting more out of our qb who has played a total of 11 NFL games ever, three 3 tds and had a total of 2 incompletions in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters combined. 

8 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

GOOD
Joe Burrow was a great deal more mobile this week and was very efficient
Joe Mixon ran hard all game
Ja’Marr Chase with an outstanding catch and another solid game
Logan Wilson making plays all over the place including two INTs
Run defense held Harris to 40 yards and 2.9 YPC
Solid tackling all game
Double digit victory in Pittsburgh
0 sacks surrendered. Best game to date by the offensive line.

Trey Hendrickson constantly brings the noise.

BAD
Darius Phillips running backwards on the punt return

UGLY
Ben Roethlisberger’s face

Really?  Have we finally stooped to ogre-shaming?

HELL YA!

8 hours ago, tibor75 said:

So you would rather he throw 58 times for 318 yards and lose by 14?   You are aware he doesn’t call the plays right?  And Mixon, who almost never fumbles, was getting 5 yards a pop.  Burrow had a 122 rating and wasn’t sacked.  

Maybe you should be asking Mike Tomlin and Ben why they spent 9 minutes to score 3 points when trailing by 17 in the second half.  If the opponent wants to hang itself give it plenty of rope. 

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

So you would rather he throw 58 times for 318 yards and lose by 14?   You are aware he doesn’t call the plays right?  And Mixon, who almost never fumbles, was getting 5 yards a pop.  Burrow had a 122 rating and wasn’t sacked.  

Maybe you should be asking Mike Tomlin and Ben why they spent 9 minutes to score 3 points when trailing by 17 in the second half.  If the opponent wants to hang itself give it plenty of rope. 

Per PFF, Burrow had the highest rated game he has ever had - 90.3

Having had some time to reflect...

---Hidden big deal? Only 44 offensive plays. Means offense at least will be as fresh as you could hope for on the short week and relatively less beat up.
---Logan Wilson...if he is becoming THE man in the middle of the defense as a counterpart to Burrow on offense, this team's trajectory will be quite high for a long time. We haven't had a guy like Wilson there (with his ball skills) in a long time. Not sure I recall one, really. Maybe Jim Leclair (I am old).
---The offensive line opening up running lanes for Mixon - and on the right side - was as good an endorsement of Carman getting more run as anything.
---The extra burst that Chase showed on the TD to end the first half was shocking. Like, I know he's fast, but...he's also real world football fast. That shit translates. And he's still just 21 and learning the ropes. He's everything I hoped for when I was advocating so hard for him.
---Seeing Burrow trust his knee enough to maneuver the pocket to avoid the infrequent pressure AND trust himself enough to audible to the QB draw was as good a sign for the rest of this season as anything in that game.
---Have a start to the season, LouA. For as shitty as it has looked for two years, at least it appears he had a plan. That is as good a three games of D as we have seen here since Zim's heydey. And, in hindsight, the lockdown they put on Minnesota for most of that game appears even better, given what the Vikings have done since.

---Pratt goes after the ball like a madman. If you watch the D, a LOT of them do now - Bell had the strip and an almost recovery late in that game. They are all tackling the ball carrier AND the ball nowadays in a way that looks more like what the Ravens do...

I guess this counts at "The Bad" although, like everyone (except one) I am thrilled with the win... I guess this would be filed under "The Bad" if anything about that game yesterday can be called "bad".

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2021/9/26/22694894/bengals-Stealers-winners-losers-joe-burrow-jamarr-chase

Losers

Trey Hopkins: It’s been an up-and-down start to the season for Hopkins. He was flagged with multiple holding penalties, and had issues against Cameron Heyward in pass protection. 

Eli Apple: After a decent first half, Apple’s shortcomings started to pop back up in coverage. He dropped an interception next to the Stealers’ goal-line and flagged for interference later in the second half. Thankfully, it looks like Trae Waynes could return next week. 

Darius Phillips: Opposite of Apple, Phillips had to come in for Chidobe Awuzie, who left the game with a groin injury. Phillips unfortunately didn’t play much better than Apple, as Roethlisberger started to take advantage of the Bengals’ depleted secondary late in the contest.

So basically this is telling me (don't shoot me) that in next year's draft we are looking at Cornerbacks and a Center.  Saying I am disappointed in Waynes is an understatement.  Signed a three year deal and we will get maybe a half season out of him.  Hopkins has been meh and the suck line around him made him look better than he was/is.  I want a Center who is going to rip of Devin Bush's head and shit down his neck.

The Ugly...

For me would be the Baltimore Starlings not only winning but pulling it out of their wazoos at the last second, setting an NFL record on a blown call by the refs.  I'm going to try (try...) to not let that tiborize my day.

5 minutes ago, membengal said:

I agree with this. I think as the O-line starts playing together and Joe starts feeling comfortable moving in the pocket and maybe even scrambling some, it's going to get even better. I think we saw some of that this week but think it's going to get even better.

Archived