Jaguars week

20 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

Pretty much all of those players declined due to injury. 

As for re-signing, a #1 pick is controlled for 7 yrs. 4 yr contract + option year + 2 yrs of franchise tags

Yeah, well no first rounder has ever been transition tagged then tagged 2x.  That would be about the most expensive way possible to keep a player especially if you use the exclusive tag. 

Only 10 players were tagged this year. It’s a pretty expensive way to keep a good player.  

Tagging an average QB in Kirk Cousins twice cost the Redskins $42 million.   If they would have simply signed him they could have had a decent QB the last few years.  

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

I remember most of us thinking the LB unit was going to be a weakness, but man these guys have stepped up.

I believe it is a combination of these guys being more experienced and a much better DL.  Hard to be effective as a LB with an offensive lineman in your face every play.

3 hours ago, SF2 said:

Yeah, well no first rounder has ever been transition tagged then tagged 2x.  That would be about the most expensive way possible to keep a player especially if you use the exclusive tag. 

Only 10 players were tagged this year. It’s a pretty expensive way to keep a good player.  

Tagging an average QB in Kirk Cousins twice cost the Redskins $42 million.   If they would have simply signed him they could have had a decent QB the last few years.  

Of course such an action is a last resort for most teams but the threat leads to long term signings thus it's worth mentioning

If this team does continue on its current path (or hoped path if that makes sense) they will run into the same problem they did under the ML tenure IF they do not adjust their thinking on leveraging the cap. We will sign the good young players until 'we have no more cap space' like when we lost WRs then the OL. Problem for down the road, likely post Burrow next contract - but something to keep an eye on. They will need to re-sign the like likes of Bates, Wilson, Higgens, before JB and any wavering of that will disrupt the path. IMO this team will need to change its thinking on the cap. 

I am amazed at how competitive the Saints are this year given they were $100M over the cap. Kuddos to them. They went for it, had to pay the price with cuts but they are still in the game. 

I met Kenny Anderson just now! He came into Holy Grail which where geep and I had decided on for lunch. I got a chance to go over and thank him for the good memories growing up cheering for him and that I had flown back to cheer for him one more time. Even got to shake his hand. It was very cool and weirdly meant a lot to me. Life is strange and turning 50 has made me nostalgic.

1 hour ago, membengal said:

I met Kenny Anderson just now! He came into Holy Grail which where geep and I had decided on for lunch. I got a chance to go over and thank him for the good memories growing up cheering for him and that I had flown back to cheer for him one more time. Even got to shake his hand. It was very cool and weirdly meant a lot to me. Life is strange and turning 50 has made me nostalgic.

He's my sports hero. So he was cool? I've heard a story or two that he was kind of a jerk - that would disappoint me greatly.

53 minutes ago, Cat said:

He's my sports hero. So he was cool? I've heard a story or two that he was kind of a jerk - that would disappoint me greatly.

A few nights before SB 23, I had opportunity to meet him while at a South Beach restaurant bar. Had several drinks over some great old-era Bengal stories. It was wonderful and yes, he was very cool.     

The Bengals elevated safety Trayvon Henderson from the practice squad to help fill in for Bates. Look for him to see some playing time on defense alongside Vonn Bell and Brandon Wilson. 

Cincinnati also placed Thaddeus Moss on injured reserve with a head/neck injury. The second-year tight end signed with the Bengals' practice squad earlier this month. 

5 hours ago, membengal said:

I met him and had my picture taken with him at a Touchdown Club dinner in 1992. He was very gracious and nice.

Archived