Green Day Game Day Thread...

4 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

I hate to lose like that and hate the idea of moral victories but this team just hung with a team that was in the NFC Championship last year and has the reigning MVP on their team.

We can build on this going forward. 

I believe this team can make the playoffs

Yup GB should have won in regulation but Bengals are getting better

3 minutes ago, New Jersey Bengal said:

Yup GB should have won in regulation but Bengals are getting better

If they can stay healthy, this should give them the confidence that they can go hang with anyone in the league. Baltimore in 2 weeks is a winnable game, if we can have the team fully healthy.

I keep turning this over in my mind - if Tee catches that perfectly throw ball in regulation on the 22-22 drive this game ends there as they would have been in much better field goal range with time to get closer. That was a bad drop from a good player - but we left too many plays out there overall. That was a big one. 

Law of averages.  They could have lost to Minnesota - in fact, they should.

Both games could have ended up with Bengals 2-0, 1-1, 0-0-2, or 0-2.  Since they are the Bengals coached by Zac Shula, 2-0 would never happen

So 1-1 isn't that bad.  Marvin would have gone 0-0-2. 

You have to learn how to win.  Especially a coach like Taylor who has never worn the headset at any level.  Burrow has to learn to be smarter about his health.  The organization still needs to put more into the offensive line.  Taylor needs to trust his best players in the big moments instead of trying to outsmart everyone with some offbeat decision.  They have progressed, but still have further to go, and that's a good thing.

48 minutes ago, spicoli said:

This team is so fucking close. They should probably be 5-0 but instead they're 3-2 and trending upwards, IMO. 

These are the kind of games that make a young team stronger down the stretch.

So so close.

Best to remember this team has really done nothing. Better than last year for sure but we still lack depth at a lot of spots and the OL is still  WIP. 

The team played well.  The defense held the Green Bay Packers to 22 points in regulation.   Offense kept us in the game as well.   100+ yards rushing/ 4.3 yds per attempt.  Team is moving in right direction and  even the media is starting to notice.  

We are still a couple of players away. The interior Oline must improve.  A great edge rusher would have a dramatic impact. 

27 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

Zac Taylor is not the only coach making, shall we say, unconventional decisions on 4th down. Both Stefanski and Staley did, too.

There has often been debate on the merits of what to do on 4th down.

Where I take issue is with the rhythm of the game and situational calls. Some of the 3rd and 2 play calls have been headscratchers. Plenty of stretches where we go run heavy or pass heavy without great results. We run to set up play action, and then go 5 wide 4 times in a row.

As dynamic as this offense has been, they haven't been very consistent. I'm guessing not a lot of 10+ play drives. They can't convert on 3rd. 

8 hours ago, SF2 said:

The team played well.  The defense held the Green Bay Packers to 22 points in regulation.   Offense kept us in the game as well.   100+ yards rushing/ 4.3 yds per attempt.  Team is moving in right direction and  even the media is starting to notice.  

We are still a couple of players away. The interior Oline must improve.  A great edge rusher would have a dramatic impact. 

I know it was only preseason but you have to wonder how good Ossai would have been for us

9 hours ago, SF2 said:

Hoping Oassi can be that guy

1 hour ago, Griever said:

I know it was only preseason but you have to wonder how good Ossai would have been for us

21 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Hoping Oassi can be that guy

Yeah, it may have helped.  I don’t think the dline played bad, we had a few sacks that should have happened but Rodgers escaped.  

The bigger issue was the short route pass defense and running back coming out of the backfield. 

On 10/10/2021 at 11:41 PM, OU_Stripes said:

My least favorite thing was the Perine run on 3rd and 5.

Yeah, play calling was iffy at best, for a supposed offensive mastermind Taylor's offense has been below average his entire tenure.

The offense is holding this team back, they should be undefeated if they can score more than 26 points per game, which would be top 10. Currently the Bengals are 18th at 22.8 pts/game, just 4 more points per game is the difference, which shows how close the margin for error is the NFL.

Taylor has to get this team to stop beating itself with ill-timed mental mistakes and the play calling has to improve in order for the Bengals to take the next step, the defense is already there.

On 10/10/2021 at 4:13 PM, membengal said:

is this one of those weird windy games down there? anyone there who can say?

There was a steady breeze all day.

Flag standing straight out from the pole.

Good news... very pleasant in the stands for a sunny, humid 80º+ day.

Bad news... must have been tricky on the field.  BUT that's why kickers get paid the big bucks (compared to me).

No excuses.

My biggest fear is McPherson gets a case of the Graham-Huber Yips in his skull.

Sure hope not.

Archived