PFF's takedown of Zac Taylor

52 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-cincinnati-bengals-joe-burrow-offense-zac-taylor-2021

I can't say I disagree with any of the points in this article.

Even worse than I thought.  This doesn't even address the goofy calls at crunch time. 

They players may love all his positive energy, but Taylor is exactly who he appears to be.  A low dollar head coach far over his head. 

10 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Taylor needs to sign a high end OC and let him run that part of the team. He needs to focus on what a HC is supposed to do.

Agree...

His playcalliing is holding the whole team in predicaments they shouldnt be in..

Im really tired of his stale calling especially in first halves..

We all know this could be an explosive offense but its predictable too much.

Differences of opinion are one thing, this article flat out says the dude can't coach. 

I mentioned in a previous thread about the over use of the spread and running the ball only to not take advantage of play action. I'm not NFL head coach material, and even I get that basic aspect of the game.

IMHO, this is a sign, more than anything, that Taylor doesn't trust the line to execute more advanced runs. Play action can also get your QB a good licking if you can't block. 

Regardless, the offense both lacks rhythm and the element of surprise. We can't sustain drives to set anything up. We were less a Tee Higgins drop from winning than we were two heroic efforts from Burrow to avoid the blowout.

My hope... Faint hope.... He can't have coached QB and not get basic offensive principles. Better execution by the O Line will open up the playbook. It looked like they were trying some trap runs early against GB... 

I was against the light snaps in preseason. Taylor is playing to not get guys injured maybe? But this is a contact sport man.

I dunno. But so far, Burrow has made some huge plays and made this offense look better than it's called. If you want to keep Burrow upright, make the game easier for him. Short passes don't work when they know they're coming.

30 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Differences of opinion are one thing, this article flat out says the dude can't coach. 

I mentioned in a previous thread about the over use of the spread and running the ball only to not take advantage of play action. I'm not NFL head coach material, and even I get that basic aspect of the game.

IMHO, this is a sign, more than anything, that Taylor doesn't trust the line to execute more advanced runs. Play action can also get your QB a good licking if you can't block. 

Regardless, the offense both lacks rhythm and the element of surprise. We can't sustain drives to set anything up. We were less a Tee Higgins drop from winning than we were two heroic efforts from Burrow to avoid the blowout.

My hope... Faint hope.... He can't have coached QB and not get basic offensive principles. Better execution by the O Line will open up the playbook. It looked like they were trying some trap runs early against GB... 

I was against the light snaps in preseason. Taylor is playing to not get guys injured maybe? But this is a contact sport man.

I dunno. But so far, Burrow has made some huge plays and made this offense look better than it's called. If you want to keep Burrow upright, make the game easier for him. Short passes don't work when they know they're coming.

I know play action could be debilitating

to JB's health but if it freezes the rushers from all out then i would go with it..

Its made mediocre QBs in this league ( Tannehill for one) very effective...

I know ZT wants to protect Joe but these schemes of his arent sustaining drives..Sometimes you just have to let a player do his thing regardless like the Ravens do with Lemar..

14 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Taylor needs to sign a high end OC and let him run that part of the team. He needs to focus on what a HC is supposed to do.

Two problems with that idea.

1.  A high end OC doesn't want to work for a guy who doesn't know what he's doing.  Especially one that thinks he knows offense.

2.  The Brown family isn't paying for a high end coach of any kind.

4 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Two problems with that idea.

1.  A high end OC doesn't want to work for a guy who doesn't know what he's doing.  Especially one that thinks he knows offense.

2.  The Brown family isn't paying for a high end coach of any kind.

We have had high end OC’s before , like Gruden, was thinking someone will really want to work with Burrow. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Hue Jackson run this offense.

But not as the head coach.

This offense has the potential to be similar to the 2005 Bengals.

That 2005 team scored at will, and it always kept defenses on their toes.

We have 3 great receivers, a power running back, a very underrated TE, nice special teams (minus last weekend)

This team should be scoring at least 26-28 points per game

48 minutes ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

We have had high end OC’s before , like Gruden, was thinking someone will really want to work with Burrow. 

Jay Gruden was very inexperienced when the Bengals got him.  That’s the kind of guy the Bengals get.  Gruden had a name and worked out, kind of.   

Yeah, Burrow is attractive, but the offensive line is not. 

27 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Hue Jackson run this offense.

But not as the head coach.

This offense has the potential to be similar to the 2005 Bengals.

That 2005 team scored at will, and it always kept defenses on their toes.

We have 3 great receivers, a power running back, a very underrated TE, nice special teams (minus last weekend)

This team should be scoring at least 26-28 points per game

He was creative and used a lot of deception which the author rips Taylor for not doing.  I wonder if Jackson’s reputation is ruined after the fiasco in Cleveland.  Would players give him any respect at all?  I’m thinking they wouldn’t.  

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

This is what worries me when I ask if our code has been cracked.

It's a league of adjustments. The league adjusted to us. We now have to adjust back. We have the bye week to do exactly that. If we don't then heads should roll

On 10/14/2021 at 12:01 AM, LostInDaJungle said:

And this situation has only gotten worse.  Our oline has not improved this year and even my wife was predicting every first down play based on formation.   Burrow got away with stuff early because his receivers were getting open but now their routes are way too predictable (too much tape now) and Burrow doesn’t audible very often (that I have noticed).  

Just look at Kansas City for example.  Lost their two starting tackles from last year and the league has figured out Mahomes’ and Reid’s weakness:  They are too greedy on offense.   They won’t take what the defense gives them.  It’s not easy to rework you playbook mid season and for some unknown reason, they can’t seem to stick to the run even though they are good at it.  You can’t run the almost exact same offense every week, these d coordinators are just too good.  

Why did Jordan Love suck yesterday?  Because he can’t run that offense, only Aaron Rodgers is good enough to run it.  Your pre snap read can’t be piss down your leg because 7 guys are about to blitz you. Lafleur really left him out to dry trying to force the ball to Adams.  The defense didn’t buy it.

Bellicheat is the master of running completely different game plans based on opponent and Brady had the brains to take what the defense gave him.  Brady is doing the same in Tampa.  

Archived