Sewer Brewer: Week 6

Just now, membengal said:

No one is hijacking anything. Should people stop posting on chase? Does a bengals decision working out make you mad? Does a bengals player doing well make you mad? Should we only wallow? Is that your agenda? Because it is tibor’s and it sucks. Casual posters have said they stay away because of it. But you do you. Bengals likely lose this week and you can celebrate that and what not. 

i propose a gentle compromise but hell nah, nothing to limit the bad faith trolling. You win.

There is no winner in this. 

I only pointed out a downside to your compromise. 

You can make up stuff about me all you want.  I guess it makes you feel better about yourself. 

None of this makes me mad.  It's just a bunch of anonymous people on an internet board.  To quote Dave Chappelle "it isn't real."  There is right and wrong in my mind.  Limiting what people can say within the rules of the board is wrong.  Just because you, and others, don't like it isn't a good reason to limit it. 

You can continue to demand people tell you you're right or "told ya so" all you want.  Other than changing a thread's topic I don't see how it's against the rules.  It is every bit as bad behavior as anything Tibor does. 

6 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

You know...... people are allowed to be wrong....I've been wrong about a great many things.

It's the admitting it that folks seem to have a hard time with.

I'm not commenting on that subject until after the season, as I said a few weeks ago.

BUT....No one here owes you anything, Jamie.  Demanding it is why someone asked you if you were a teenager. 

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

I'm not commenting on that subject until after the season, as I said a few weeks ago.

BUT....No one here owes you anything, Jamie.  Demanding it is why someone asked you if you were a teenager. 

Don't claim they do, won't prevent me from reminding them though. ;)

6 minutes ago, membengal said:

It’s cool. You win. I’m done.

Look, man.....I don't like going down this road, but when you start calling me a troll what do you expect?  None of us are perfect and there is plenty of immature behavior here to go around.  Myself included.  I pointed out some things to suggest that we all do stuff that isn't the best.  The secondary point is we should have tolerance for other peoples BS as long as it doesn't break the rules of the board or cross the line of civility or harming people. 

18 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Keeping things positive vs. freedom.  

Definitely that.   Wrong vs. right. 

Freedom is only for the press. Freedom also means people are free to leave this forum if they find it toxic.

Moderators need to keep in mind the identity of the forums. I don't mind this single thread, I can avoid it. But let's say the Bengals lose 2 or 3 games in a row. Will this single thread spread into other threads? This happened in the past, and it was horrible. Yes, maybe the Bengals deserved it, but many people choose not to perpetuate the misery.

So, either this forum is open to misery, or they are ready to pull the trigger on misery as soon as it spreads. There will be consequences and lost members either way, just a matter of choice as to which direction.

30 minutes ago, steggyD said:

Freedom is only for the press. Freedom also means people are free to leave this forum if they find it toxic.

Moderators need to keep in mind the identity of the forums. I don't mind this single thread, I can avoid it. But let's say the Bengals lose 2 or 3 games in a row. Will this single thread spread into other threads? This happened in the past, and it was horrible. Yes, maybe the Bengals deserved it, but many people choose not to perpetuate the misery.

So, either this forum is open to misery, or they are ready to pull the trigger on misery as soon as it spreads. There will be consequences and lost members either way, just a matter of choice as to which direction.

Freedom is only for the press?  That's scary.  Censorship never accomplishes what it sets out to do. 

The rest of your thoughts are fine.  If you don't like it here you are free to leave.  If this is some kind of commercial enterprise and Go feels different opinions and dark humor are not wanted and hurting the board that's his choice.   It's his board. 

Also, your definition of misery may not be everyone's.  Being able to poke some fun at incompetence can be therapeutic.  If it's not your thing, great.  You don't have to participate.  I feel bad that it bothers you so much when others have fun in a way you don't enjoy.  Honestly. 

It's not me. As stated, this board is nowhere near as active as it once was. If pain and suffering is for you, then I feel sorry for you, honestly ...

And yes, freedom of speech was only meant for the press. Has nothing to do with internet forums.

It goes way beyond joking, wait for a few losses.

I have enough pain and suffering in real life, so when it comes to a forum that wallows in misery, yes, I choose not to participate. And I don't think I'm the only one. That's what I'm saying is the decision that needs to be made. It seems there are a few here that want to change the attitude, and some that want to keep it up. Someone needs to choose an identity, or keep up with the Jekyll and Hyde.

I'm not as hurt by this as you think, I'm only suggesting something to help. This board is not what it used to be.

It's not a censorship (free-dumb) issue, the mods have to weigh their desires for whether they care about the number of users on the board are and whether or not people are driving others away. 

This is a order of business issue, not a censorship issue.  

1 minute ago, steggyD said:

It goes way beyond joking, wait for a few losses.

I have enough pain and suffering in real life, so when it comes to a forum that wallows in misery, yes, I choose not to participate. And I don't think I'm the only one. That's what I'm saying is the decision that needs to be made. It seems there are a few here that want to change the attitude, and some that want to keep it up. Someone needs to choose an identity, or keep up with the Jekyll and Hyde.

I'm not as hurt by this as you think, I'm only suggesting something to help. This board is not what it used to be.

Maybe I don't understand what this board used to be.  I've been around 5-6 years.

There is still good Bengals discussion.  It is speckled with disagreements that sometimes get too heated, kind of like our society in general these days.  Outside of defending Tibor's and others right to post what they want within board rules the vast majority of what I post is about football. 

I don't get your "pain and suffering" concept.  It's just football and people releasing some tension in an offhand way. 

The biggest conflict on this board is over the Brewer.  I guess I'm part of that, but I do feel strongly about allowing folks to express things freely.  It seems to be a concept that is fading in American society.  In a way you're right.  Is this going to be a board committed to keeping things positive, or is it going to be a mixture of characters who come from different points of view?

Just now, Jamie_B said:

It's not a censorship (free-dumb) issue, the mods have to weigh their desires for whether they care about the number of users on the board are and whether or not people are driving others away. 

This is a order of business issue, not a censorship issue.  

Oh, it's about censorship.  It's plenty legal.  It's Go's board.  That doesn't mean it isn't censorship.  You can keep certain books out of a library.  It's censorship, but is it appropriate and needed is the question.  Your usage of a political bird call explains a few things as well. 

As far as driving people away I think Go and the mods have the statistics.  Some of Go's past comments suggest people come and go.  Again, his board, his choice. 

Just now, UncleEarl said:

Oh, it's about censorship.  It's plenty legal.  It's Go's board.  That doesn't mean it isn't censorship.  You can keep certain books out of a library.  It's censorship, but is it appropriate and needed is the question.  Your usage of a political bird call explains a few things as well. 

As far as driving people away I think Go and the mods have the statistics.  Some of Go's past comments suggest people come and go.  Again, his board, his choice. 

It's really not. If a pile of shit is sitting in the corner stinking up the room (and in no way am I saying anyone is that this is a metaphor), and people want it removed because they want to be able to breathe, removing it isn't censorship.

This is the same argument about suggesting that removing Alex Jones from Youtube is censorship, it's not, private company gets to make those decisions, and your last sentence says so, it's Go's board that he owns and he and the mods have to make the choices about the good of the board or the good of the few, it's a balancing act. 

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

It's really not. If a pile of shit is sitting in the corner stinking up the room (and in no way am I saying anyone is that this is a metaphor), and people want it removed because they want to be able to breathe, removing it isn't censorship.

This is the same argument about suggesting that removing Alex Jones from Youtube is censorship, it's not, private company gets to make those decisions, and your last sentence says so, it's Go's board that he owns and he and the mods have to make the choices about the good of the board or the good of the few, it's a balancing act. 

Alex Jones tells outright lies and says things that harm people.  That isn't anywhere close to the same thing as what is going on here.  Just the same, inserting politics in this discussion is asking for an even bigger shitstorm.  Maybe you want that??  I hope not.

Censorship is legal.  The question is if it's a good idea.  This is what we are talking about.  Just because a majority of people don't like something doesn't make it bad.  Plenty of books have been banned for this reason.  History is rarely kind to it.

Just now, Cricket said:

*sigh*

I hope you bastards haven’t chased off membengal.  I could always count on getting some team updates and team-related articles from him…and felt like I was “in the know.” 

I hope not either. 

Then again, when you call people trolls and want them gone you can expect some pushback.

9 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Alex Jones tells outright lies and says things that harm people.  That isn't anywhere close to the same thing as what is going on here.  Just the same, inserting politics in this discussion is asking for an even bigger shitstorm.  Maybe you want that??  I hope not.

Censorship is legal.  The question is if it's a good idea.  This is what we are talking about.  Just because a majority of people don't like something doesn't make it bad.  Plenty of books have been banned for this reason.  History is rarely kind to it.

Not even a political thing it was an example, and suggesting the thread die is akin to book banning is hyperbolic.  

14 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Not even a political thing it was an example, and suggesting the thread die is akin to book banning is hyperbolic.  

After using Alex Jones as an example you are calling me hyperbolic for using book banning as an example?  Rich. 

Why even put in the political examples?  It's likely to trigger someone and all hell breaks loose.  Just sayin'.  We have plenty of disagreement right now without politics.

1 hour ago, steggyD said:

It's not me. As stated, this board is nowhere near as active as it once was. If pain and suffering is for you, then I feel sorry for you, honestly ...

And yes, freedom of speech was only meant for the press. Has nothing to do with internet forums.

You need to brush up on your Bill of Rights.  Freedom of speech and freedom of the press are listed separately.

Freedom of speech is only protection from government infringement of speech, not the reaction of private persons or enterprises.  Thus, if this or any board wishes to limit speech they are free to do so.  I have never questioned that.  The question is whether it's a good idea to do so?

1 hour ago, UncleEarl said:

As far as driving people away I think Go and the mods have the statistics.  

Ah yes - Statistics on why members have left the board....

79.84% perceived trolling/bullying by other members

10% burned out

5%  off topic threads

5% did not respond

.16% were banned

:ninja:

1 hour ago, Cricket said:

*sigh*

I hope you bastards haven’t chased off membengal.  I could always count on getting some team updates and team-related articles from him…and felt like I was “in the know.” 

x2

Archived