The Good, The Bad, And the Ugly: Detroit Lions 10/17/21

I know everyone is already gushing again about Chase, and that's warranted. He is on a statistical pace not seen for a rookie since Randy Moss. I want to comment on his play with a certain sort of specificity though. What he's doing is almost impossible.

It's not just amazing statistical compilation. It's that a huge bulk of that production has come at extremely opportune times. Ja'Marr Chase has now made a 30+ yard catch inside one minute remaining in the first half FOUR TIMES in six games, each in a separate game. I mean what the fuck???

vs. Minnesota: 50 yard TD with 0:36 remaining in the half

@ Pittsburgh: 34 yard TD with 0:27 remaining in the half

vs. Green Bay: 70 yard TD with 0:31 remaining in the half

@ Detroit: 34 yards to the DET 26 at 0:23 remaining in the half, setting up a field goal

He didn't do it in Chicago. Instead he caught a 42 yard TD with 2:01 remaining in the game just before the Wilson INT made it winnable.

He didn't do it against Jacksonville. Instead he caught a 44 yard pass 10 seconds into the 3rd quarter when they were down 14-0.

Comparing him to Randy Moss statistically is something that at first gave me the willies. We used to hear the same thing about AJ Green, granted over a broader statistical period (e.g., AJ was the only player other than Moss to open a career with 6 1,000 yard seasons or something like that). But when I think about Chase from this perspective of timing, I don't know who else to compare him to. When the Bengals absolutely need one, they are quite literally chucking it his way and he is usually wide ass open to make it feasible. I am straight up unused to seeing separation like what he has achieved down the field. I don't remember AJ or Chad doing that consistently (as great as both obviously were), though perhaps my memory is biased toward the negative.

Then he threw a block that sent a DB backwards through puberty. WTF??? How is this player real?

6 minutes ago, OU_Stripes said:

I know everyone is already gushing again about Chase, and that's warranted. He is on a statistical pace not seen for a rookie since Randy Moss. I want to comment on his play with a certain sort of specificity though. What he's doing is almost impossible.

It's not just amazing statistical compilation. It's that a huge bulk of that production has come at extremely opportune times. Ja'Marr Chase has now made a 30+ yard catch inside one minute remaining in the first half FOUR TIMES in six games, each in a separate game. I mean what the fuck???

@ Detroit: 34 yards to the DET 26 at 0:23 remaining in the half, setting up a field goal

He didn't do it in Chicago. Instead he caught a 42 yard TD with 2:01 remaining in the game just before the Wilson INT made it winnable.

He didn't do it against Jacksonville. Instead he caught a 44 yard pass 10 seconds into the 3rd quarter when they were down 14-0.

Comparing him to Randy Moss statistically is something that at first gave me the willies. We used to hear the same thing about AJ Green, granted over a broader statistical period (e.g., AJ was the only player other than Moss to open a career with 6 1,000 yard seasons or something like that). But when I think about Chase from this perspective of timing, I don't know who else to compare him to. When the Bengals absolutely need one, they are quite literally chucking it his way and he is usually wide ass open to make it feasible. I am straight up unused to seeing separation like what he has achieved down the field. I don't remember AJ or Chad doing that consistently (as great as both obviously were), though perhaps my memory is biased toward the negative.

Then he threw a block that sent a DB backwards through puberty. WTF??? How is this player real?

Is This Real Life GIFs | Tenor

5 hours ago, High School Harry said:

A hundred yard receiving day would have enhanced his chances of being Rookie of the Year

and not affected much of anything.  Not saying another 70 yard bomb TD, just a half dozen yard

out and out of bounds.  It may compensate for an off day which is bound to come.

He’s so far ahead for OROY right now I think that 3 more yards for a 100 yard game is meaningless. 

15 minutes ago, OU_Stripes said:

this post is so good. So good.

3 minutes ago, Sea Ray said:

The other thing to remember re: Chase is that this would not be happening with Andy Dalton. If AD was the QB we'd be lamenting what could have been over and over again as he misses deep to an open Chase

So true.  Burrow's deep balls have been outstanding.  I really don't remember many bad ones if any?  The play yesterday was a great example.  Chase beats his single coverage pretty easily, but Burrow has to throw a perfect ball at the perfect time to avoid the safety that was coming over the top.  Great play.  It takes two to make that happen. 

Burrow’s deep ball has been fantastic. The only one I would say was significantly more a Chase play than one made by both would be the TD against the Packers. That one fluttered late and was a centimeter away from being defensed. I don’t know how Chase caught that.

16 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

So true.  Burrow's deep balls have been outstanding.  I really don't remember many bad ones if any?  The play yesterday was a great example.  Chase beats his single coverage pretty easily, but Burrow has to throw a perfect ball at the perfect time to avoid the safety that was coming over the top.  Great play.  It takes two to make that happen. 

Chase had to slow down on the one deep ball otherwise had Burrow hit him in stride Chase likely beats the CB for a TD. But that has been the only time I have seen Chase have to slow down on a Burrow deep ball.

4 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Chase had to slow down on the one deep ball otherwise had Burrow hit him in stride Chase likely beats the CB for a TD. But that has been the only time I have seen Chase have to slow down on a Burrow deep ball.

Still put it in that window.  Hard to do.  He had beaten the CB.  The safety made the tackle if I'm not mistaken.  Tons of those balls overthrown by average and even above-average QBs. 

8 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Chase was so wide open on that play that I was wondering if Burrow was just being conservative to make sure he didn't overthrow him?  Just a thought.

2 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

Chase was so wide open on that play that I was wondering if Burrow was just being conservative to make sure he didn't overthrow him?  Just a thought.

If he throws it further the safety has more of a shot to make a play. 

8 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

If he throws it further the safety has more of a shot to make a play. 

I think you are talking about a different throw. At the end of the first half, yes. The one over the middle of the field that went for 53 yards Chase was clear and no safety back. That was the one he had to slow down for.

3 minutes ago, membengal said:

I think you are talking about a different throw. At the end of the first half, yes. The one over the middle of the field that went for 53 yards Chase was clear and no safety back. That was the one he had to slow down for.

Yeah that's the one I was talking about, sorry for the confusion.

4 minutes ago, membengal said:

You are correct.  I was talking about the throw at the end of the first half.  My mistake.

Archived