Ravens Week

1 hour ago, A Rock said:

I just hope they play to win.  Win, lose, or draw just come in with an aggressive mindset and stick with it. Definitely a challenging situation. If I had a say in game planning (and I don't, LOL) I'd put some sort of rotating spy scheme in the defense to deal with Jackson. Not sure how you stop Andrews, especially when they need a conversion, but I'm guessing a free release into zone ain't it. I honestly feel we're as potent on offense as them when we're clicking, but these guys keep going to the playoffs for a reason. Again, just hope to see our best shot taken. No safe draw plays to attempt 50+ yard field goals. No playing 12 yards off receivers when they need a 10 yard conversion late. Be the new Bengals. Leave it all on the field. We're playing with house money. No one seriously expects us to win this game anyway.

Ravens are 6.5 pt favorites as of now..

Ravens have allways kept their oline  and front 7 strong..

Same as the pukes have until now..

Browns bolstered their Olinr to help an average Mayfield..

It seems to be a formula the AFCN uses to contend for playoff spots..

Bengals front 7 can compete with any rival now..

Comes down to how much Coach Pollack can get out of the Olines abilities which hes doing so far..

The Ravens o-line has been an abject disaster last year and this one. The opposite of strong. They are winning due to some unreal luck and Lamar Jackson being superman up to this point. That changed a bit last week - they didn't need the luck that time. They are unholy difficult to beat here in Baltimore. If we can make it a game, that will be a nice step. 

This game is going to be extremely challenging, so I am going to hope to see competitiveness and a chance to win in the 4th quarter. If it happens great, if not so be it. The Bengals will be the better team each of the following four games (@Jets, vs. Browns, @Raiders, vs. Stee lers; Browns are injured everywhere and frankly look mediocre to me in general), so I think playoff contention will be largely decided by that stretch rather than this Ravens game.

I think that against Jackson it is essential to maintain contain.  That can mean not taking any risks while rushing the passer. Make him stay in the pocket and throw.  Against Jackson keeping him in the pocket is more important than sacks or even pressure. 

An away fan at a Bengals game? Hmmm…

Being the sole opposing fan, in a white #50 James Francis jersey, in the lower upper deck in the packed to the gills Seattle Kingdome on MNF 10-1-90, with the entire 12th Man literally screaming in your ears for hours. 

Yeah, that gets a bit tough. 

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

An away fan at a Bengals game? Hmmm…

Being the sole opposing fan, in a white #50 James Francis jersey, in the lower upper deck in the packed to the gills Seattle Kingdome on MNF 10-1-90, with the entire 12th Man literally screaming in your ears for hours. 

Yeah, that gets a bit tough. 

The last couple NFL games I've been to (not in Cincinnati) could be best described as drunken nightmares.  Fights and spilled beer were what I was avoiding all day.  Not enjoyable.  While I would like to come back to a Bengals game at some point, I'm not sure I'll ever sign up for another NFL game. 

4 hours ago, membengal said:

The Ravens o-line has been an abject disaster last year and this one. The opposite of strong. They are winning due to some unreal luck and Lamar Jackson being superman up to this point. That changed a bit last week - they didn't need the luck that time. They are unholy difficult to beat here in Baltimore. If we can make it a game, that will be a nice step. 

Yes Lamar is one of the most unique breeds of QB EVER..

Scares the Hell outta every DC in the league ..

Containing his electrifying run talent is allmost nill..

Hes a good passer as well.

Lemar will be Lemar and it's a must see for NFL to watch him do his magic ..

Containing his bread and butter guy in Andrews is a huge priority in this defense..

7 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

The last couple NFL games I've been to (not in Cincinnati) could be best described as drunken nightmares.  Fights and spilled beer were what I was avoiding all day.  Not enjoyable.  While I would like to come back to a Bengals game at some point, I'm not sure I'll ever sign up for another NFL game. 

It’s understandable. I used to like to go to 1 roadie a year, back in the day. Stayed completely away from Western PA though. Besides the cost, it began to get dangerous in spots. 

That Seattle MNF was part of a two-city swing I did in ‘90. The Bengals had back-to-back road games in Seattle and LA (Anaheim), and since I had friends/relatives in each area, I decided to “follow” them to both. 

Could not have been two more diametrically different atmospheres. Seattle was the aforementioned insanely loud/passionate12th Man environment. LA was the sterile, uninspired, playing on a converted baseball field, Big A…with equally laid-back and basically indifferent sort-of fans. 

I remember there was a group of kinda Ram fans behind me. They had been just sort of chilling most of the game—my first real experience with the surfer dude sorts. Esiason throws a TD pass, and suddenly, one guy behind me goes nuts “YEAH!! YEAH!!”Trying to figure out why a Ram fan would be this way. Find out—and this was at the dawn of fantasy league football—Norman was on his FFL team, and he just won his game. Crazy time. 

10 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Being the sole opposing fan, in a white #50 James Francis jersey

My very first NFL game ever was Bengals at Oilers in 93 - you know, our 'all-star' years - game was abysmal, as you can imagine, but Francis came to play that day. I will still go see our Bengals if they come to town, but it's not pleasant, especially with these fickle fans.

Ravens fans are usually fine, I've been to that stadium a few times once with CincyinDC, it really depends on where you sit. If you are in the upper level it is bad, in the lower levels it's fine. We had a guy share his bourbon with us. 

4 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

It’s understandable. I used to like to go to 1 roadie a year, back in the day. Stayed completely away from Western PA though. Besides the cost, it began to get dangerous in spots. 

That Seattle MNF was part of a two-city swing I did in ‘90. The Bengals had back-to-back road games in Seattle and LA (Anaheim), and since I had friends/relatives in each area, I decided to “follow” them to both. 

Could not have been two more diametrically different atmospheres. Seattle was the aforementioned insanely loud/passionate12th Man environment. LA was the sterile, uninspired, playing on a converted baseball field, Big A…with equally laid-back and basically indifferent sort-of fans. 

I remember there was a group of kinda Ram fans behind me. They had been just sort of chilling most of the game—my first real experience with the surfer dude sorts. Esiason throws a TD pass, and suddenly, one guy behind me goes nuts “YEAH!! YEAH!!”Trying to figure out why a Ram fan would be this way. Find out—and this was at the dawn of fantasy league football—Norman was on his FFL team, and he just won his game. Crazy time. 

I caught them in December '90 when they came back to LA (coliseum) to play the Raiders.  I was the only Bengal fan in a sea of silver and black. Even the friend I went with was a Raider fan. Unfortunately we lost that day, but I did jump up and scream "touchdown!" when Boomer found Mcgee near our end of the stadium. I also sat right back down as these fans were definitely not laid back or apathetic as they stared daggers at me. I had no actual problems that day, probably because that was literally the only thing I had to cheer about the entire day as Bo Jackson ran wild. Sounds like quite a different experience than right down the road in Anaheim, LOL.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Ravens fans are usually fine, I've been to that stadium a few times once with CincyinDC, it really depends on where you sit. If you are in the upper level it is bad, in the lower levels it's fine. We had a guy share his bourbon with us. 

It is generally fine. It’s just…not much upside for me as an opposing fan. If we get our ass kicked i have to sit there and listen to the joy explode around me while I am sad and even worse might get sympathy which I don’t want. Or, if we do well I can’t really go nuts for worry of a random crazy person wanting to fight. Better for me to avoid altogether is where I have landed on that. 

7 minutes ago, membengal said:

It is generally fine. It’s just…not much upside for me as an opposing fan. If we get our ass kicked i have to sit there and listen to the joy explode around me while I am sad and even worse might get sympathy which I don’t want. Or, if we do well I can’t really go nuts for worry of a random crazy person wanting to fight. Better for me to avoid altogether is where I have landed on that. 

yeah totally get that

5 minutes ago, membengal said:

My biggest off-season frustration in terms of FA was us missing on Zeitler’s return and him going to baltimore instead. He would have been so helpful at RG. 

Same, though I imagine Zeitler would have wanted to be LG again, and we'd move Spain to RG, which I'd be fine with.

Also, I expect us to lose this week, and pretty handily. I don’t think we are on Baltimore’s level - especially on the road.

that said, it is wild to me that if we somehow win this game we would finish week 7 as the 1 seed in the conference…(would win all tie-breakers as we would be undefeated in AFC)

7 minutes ago, membengal said:

Also, I expect us to lose this week, and pretty handily. I don’t think we are on Baltimore’s level - especially on the road.

that said, it is wild to me that if we somehow win this game we would finish week 7 as the 1 seed in the conference…(would win all tie-breakers as we would be undefeated in AFC)

I didn't even realize. 

I don't know that we win either, but man if we do.....

I think it's feasible to make a compelling argument that the Ravens aren't as good as they look. I could summarize it with things like:

- They essentially lost in Detroit were it not for highly improbable good fortune (4th and 19, delay of game, 66 yard FG)

- They were down 22-3 at home against Indianapolis

- They beat the Chiefs much the same way the Bengals beat the Vikings, with the help of a very timely opposing fumble

I might even say that the Bengals should enjoy some matchup advantages defensively. I think it's strength vs. strength primarily on the ground, and I don't know that Baltimore has the wide receivers to exploit the inconsistencies of the Cincinnati secondary.

Nonetheless, I tend to think that while they're beatable, they're still a very good team and are at home. They also have a quarterback that has murdered the Bengals repeatedly. This feels like a one score loss with a relatively low score, e.g. 24-17 or something like that.

Archived