Jessie Bates

Our Bengals have been getting a lot of love from the national media believe it or not. Jim Rome has had Tyler Boyd & Logan Wilson, and Burrow was on the Dan Patrick show etc. etc.,,,.. in just the past couple of weeks. 

And the common thread of these interviews is that this is a really good group of dudes. Like really good people, and easy to root for. 

Signing Bates for 5yr 70 mil would probably get it done..

What about Spain Reiff BJ Hill Ogunjobi 

.and other FAs??

I suppose its possible but its not going to be easy..

Is a safety their first priority in signings?

Not sure but cutting Waynes contract would go a long way into resigning the gifted player..

1 hour ago, claptonrocks said:

Signing Bates for 5yr 70 mil would probably get it done..

What about Spain Reiff BJ Hill Ogunjobi 

.and other FAs??

I suppose its possible but its not going to be easy..

Is a safety their first priority in signings?

Not sure but cutting Waynes contract would go a long way into resigning the gifted player..

I dont think we keep both Reiff and Ogunjobi. Tyler Shelvin better be ready next year.

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

I dont think we keep both Reiff and Ogunjobi. Tyler Shelvin better be ready next year.

Agree...

Shelvin missed practice today or yesterday with an illness..

Im thinking he and Carman went to Eminem's restaurant together..😎

Must be some nasty ass Hunts sauce poured in with it...

11 minutes ago, Catfish Bob said:

I've liked Bates ever since he played his first down for the team.  Solid af and plays hard af every rip.

He covers so much ground be it north-south.. east-west...

He can cover space for Bell if he wants to come in the box..

He has the instincts of a true centerfielder in the NFL..

Better sign him....

Jessie Bates isn't going anywhere. They will tag him if need be but I was surprised when an extension didn't come this offseason.

Aside from him, there a handful of likely priority signings but none of which are "gotta sign": Riley Reiff, Larry Ogunjobi, CJ Uzomah, Quinton Spain, Kevin Huber and Clark Harris. For me, outside of Bates, the priority would be Spain followed Ogunjobi, Reiff and Uzomah. I think Harris and Huber would easy re-signings but they're both are getting older.

The good news is the Bengals could trim $18 million off of the cap next season by dumping Hopkins and Waynes with fairly minimal dead cap money. They are currently projected to be well under the salary cap so, I am not really concerned at all about them re-signing any players they want and making significant Free Agent moves at the same time. The Bengals are in very good shape right now. Even next season (2023 offseason) they have minimal free agents with Jonah Williams and Vonn Bell being the most high profile.

3 hours ago, westside bengal said:

I don't know what the contract holdup is.  Maybe Jesse is asking for the moon.  But I certainly would rather overpay Jessie than overpay his half ass FA replacement the Bengals will sign if they let Bates walk.

It might be about money up front and/or guaranteed money; the team has a conservative policy on this . Many teams do like the Stealers

5 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Jessie Bates isn't going anywhere. They will tag him if need be but I was surprised when an extension didn't come this offseason.

Aside from him, there a handful of likely priority signings but none of which are "gotta sign": Riley Reiff, Larry Ogunjobi, CJ Uzomah, Quinton Spain, Kevin Huber and Clark Harris. For me, outside of Bates, the priority would be Spain followed Ogunjobi, Reiff and Uzomah. I think Harris and Huber would easy re-signings but they're both are getting older.

The good news is the Bengals could trim $18 million off of the cap next season by dumping Hopkins and Waynes with fairly minimal dead cap money. They are currently projected to be well under the salary cap so, I am not really concerned at all about them re-signing any players they want and making significant Free Agent moves at the same time. The Bengals are in very good shape right now. Even next season (2023 offseason) they have minimal free agents with Jonah Williams and Vonn Bell being the most high profile.

Larry O and CJ U are musts along with Bates if possible. Spain would be nice and Reiff is questionable depending on how Smith comes around.

But the Bengals always depend on the draft to replace players instead of resigning larger contracts. If they have a draft like last year I'm real OK with that.

Archived