Looking Ahead - London 2022

When the NFL owners approved the schedule expansion to 17 games, they also approved a new formula for determining which teams would be playing in the International Series games beginning next season.  All 4 teams from a specific division will play one of their "home" games in London, and the division in question will be from the conference that gets the 17th game at home - that way the affected teams will still get 8 home games in their home stadium.

In 2022, the conference will be the NFC.  Right now, it appears most likely that the division that will be tapped is the NFC East, as that division's teams have had the longest average wait since playing their most recent game overseas.

NFC East = PHI-2018 NYG-2017 WAS-2016 DAL-2014  (Average = 5.75 years)

NFC West = LAR-2019 SEA-2018 ARI-2017 SFF-2013 (Average = 5.25 years)

NFC North = CHI-2019 MIN-2017 DET-2015 (Average = 5.0 years)

NFC South = ATL-2021 CAR-2019 TBB-2019 NOS-2017 (Average = 3.0 years)

Their opponents are more than likely to come from the AFC, as those teams will play an extra road game, and will also more than likely be their "17th game" opponents so to not interfere with the current travel rotation schedule.  The 2022 "17th game" opponents for the NFC East is the AFC North.

If all of the above holds, the Bengals may be heading to London again next season.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Tottenham is a more modern venue, true, but with a noticeably smaller capacity than Wembley.  And though Wembley is indeed more remote relative to city center, public transportation options are better developed.....   Sure, it could take an hour in a crush of people to get onto a train, but at least there's an underground station right there.  The closest underground stations to Tottenham are Seven Sisters (30 min walk) and Tottenham Hale (25 min walk).  Alternates are White Hart Lane Overground (5 min), and Northumberland Park National Rail (10 mins), plus a crush of bus queues.

Public Transport Options: https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/media/19336/area-overview-july-2019.pdf

So while the games are no longer at Wembley, I think I'll miss the place in spite of the distance and the tube wait times. 

6 hours ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Tottenham is a more modern venue, true, but with a noticeably smaller capacity than Wembley.  And though Wembley is indeed more remote relative to city center, public transportation options are better developed.....   Sure, it could take an hour in a crush of people to get onto a train, but at least there's an underground station right there.  The closest underground stations to Tottenham are Seven Sisters (30 min walk) and Tottenham Hale (25 min walk).  Alternates are White Hart Lane Overground (5 min), and Northumberland Park National Rail (10 mins), plus a crush of bus queues.

Public Transport Options: https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/media/19336/area-overview-july-2019.pdf

So while the games are no longer at Wembley, I think I'll miss the place in spite of the distance and the tube wait times. 

Play the damn games in Wales..

I like it better down there..😎

3 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Play the damn games in Wales..

I like it better down there..😎

Watched Wales-Belgium in the World Cup qualifiers the other day. It was being played in Cardiff City Stadium, and was as energetic a game atmosphere as was possible. The Welsh got a much better than expected draw, and the place was thrilled. 

Cardiff is considered “almost England” by many Welsh, so the fervor was saying something. 

2 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Watched Wales-Belgium in the World Cup qualifiers the other day. It was being played in Cardiff City Stadium, and was as energetic a game atmosphere as was possible. The Welsh got a much better than expected draw, and the place was thrilled. 

Cardiff is considered “almost England” by many Welsh, so the fervor was saying something. 

Seems a huge advantage basically at home...

The Welsh love their snooker as well..

Play snooker long enough and 8 ball pockets seem like goalie nets!

Tks for sharing..

• Upvote 1

Looks like 2022 will see two London games, one in Germany (there are three finalist cities - Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Munich), and one in a feces-flinging Stadium Azteca in horrible, horrible Mexico City.

If the NFC East is indeed tapped as the host division, Dallas is almost certain to be the team exiled to Mexico. Assuming my speculation about the designated opponent is correct, they would host whichever AFC North team that matches them standings-wise, which would presumably be our division champ.

I would also speculate that the Stealers would go to Germany, for marketing purposes only.  Based on the current standings, I would guess:

UK: CIN at PHI, CLE at NYG

GE: PIT at WAS

MX: BAL at DAL

Linky: https://www.nfl.com/news/three-german-cities-in-discussions-to-stage-nfl-regular-season-games

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

So, I'm updating my assumptions slightly here.

1: The Jags WILL play in London next year, which means that game will replace one of the AFCN at NFCE games from the International Series - likely whomever comes in 4th.

2: The Jags will play an NFCN team, and will technically be giving up a road game (due to rotation), but will get to dress the stadium as if they were the home team... oddly enough.

3: The Cowboys WILL play in Mexico, and will drag with them whomever matches them in the standings.

4: The Germany game will feature the Stealers (to help those mouthbreathers expand their bandwagon base), unless they get dragged to Azetca with the Cowboys, in which case it'll be the Bengals (due to our heritage) unless we come in last, in which case it'll be the Ratbirds.

With those assumptions made, and looking at the right-now standings for projected pairings, here's my current guess:

UK: BAL at PHI / JAX "at" DET 

DE: PIT at WFT 

MX: CIN at DAL (ugh)

Stays Home: CLE at NYG

If you wanna play what-if but agree with my assumptions, here's the flow:

1 - Put DAL in MX and pair them with whomever matches them from the AFCN in the current standings

2 - Put JAX in UK and pair them with an NFCN team the same way

3A - If PIT isnt assigned, put them in DE with their paired NFCE team

3B - If PIT is assigned, and if CIN isnt in 4th place, put CIN in DE with their NFCE team

3C - If PIT is assigned and CIN is 4th place, put BAL in DE with their NFCE team

4 - Put the highest remaining AFCN team in UK with their NFCE team

5 - Whomever is left from the AFCN/NFCE stays home.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, AmishBengalFan said:

So, I'm updating my assumptions slightly here.

1: The Jags WILL play in London next year, which means that game will replace one of the AFCN at NFCE games from the International Series - likely whomever comes in 4th.

2: The Jags will play an NFCN team, and will technically be giving up a road game (due to rotation), but will get to dress the stadium as if they were the home team... oddly enough.

3: The Cowboys WILL play in Mexico, and will drag with them whomever matches them in the standings.

4: The Germany game will feature the Stealers (to help those mouthbreathers expand their bandwagon base), unless they get dragged to Azetca with the Cowboys, in which case it'll be the Bengals (due to our heritage) unless we come in last, in which case it'll be the Ratbirds.

With those assumptions made, and looking at the right-now standings for projected pairings, here's my current guess:

UK: BAL at PHI / JAX "at" DET 

DE: PIT at WFT 

MX: CIN at DAL (ugh)

Stays Home: CLE at NYG

Fuck the Cowboys.in Mexico..

We have a team with the ultimate leader in JB that will tumble them next year..

Bank it..

He isnt close to peaking yet..

Scary thought for appoinents DCs..

Yeah.  But I don't want to set foot in Azteca due to the feces.

Interestingly enough, if not for that walk-off FG to propel the Raidaaahs over the Cleveland Football Team, the pairings would've been all shuffled....

UK: CIN at PHI / JAX "at" DET 

DE: PIT at NYG

MX: CLE at DAL

Stays Home: BAL at WAS

• Upvote 3