17 minutes ago, BengalBuck said:

You know, I think about that Bears game a lot. How did they lose that game to a team like that with a rookie QB? If they played that game again the Bengals would win by 3 touchdowns...easy!

I think this team was complacent going into that game and got beat by a team that is not on their level. I truly believe the Bengals as a whole learned tons from that game and never walk on the field with that same attitude ever again. Lesson learned.

Team may be better than they were before.  Bears game isn't that crazy - you turn the ball over on the road, you lose.

This team was almost down 21-0 against Jacksonville.  At home.  In prime-time. 

5 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

After some really bad drafts they were due.  Thank God.

Two of the three ZT drafts have been stellar, that’s all I know. Even the bad first draft in 2019 at least produced Jonah, Pratt and yes even Sample. This roster he’s built is right on track, IMO. Ahead of where I thought they’d be actually. 

7 minutes ago, spicoli said:

Two of the three ZT drafts have been stellar, that’s all I know. Even the bad first draft in 2019 at least produced Jonah, Pratt and yes even Sample. This roster he’s built is right on track, IMO. Ahead of where I thought they’d be actually. 

I think you are giving the head coach way too much credit.   Tobin and the scouting staff do the drafting.  Taylor may get some input, but the FO deserves the credit.  

Just now, UncleEarl said:

I think you are giving the head coach way too much credit.   Tobin and the scouting staff do the drafting.  Taylor may get some input, but the FO deserves the credit.  

So they just happened to start getting it right all the sudden because Duke had some kind of epiphany? 

And since when doesn't Duke and the "scouting staff" suck? That's new. 

6 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

2 minutes ago, spicoli said:

So they just happened to start getting it right all the sudden because Duke had some kind of epiphany? 

Lol. I think they all deserve the credit. They are all working together to build the team along with the culture of winning. And I bet if you ask them that would be their unselfish answer. Lets hope it continues and pretty nice when we can argue over who should get the credit over who sucks the most 😁

9 minutes ago, spicoli said:

They did pretty well a decade or so ago, then went in the tank.  There is an element of luck in all of this.  Someone pointed out a while back how poorly the Patriots have drafted.  It sucks that Tobin has the smallest staff in the NFL, but they deserve credit for the last two years in the draft and FA. 

2 minutes ago, CalifBengalfan said:

Lol. I think they all deserve the credit. They are all working together to build the team along with the culture of winning. And I bet if you ask them that would be their unselfish answer. Lets hope it continues and pretty nice when we can argue over who should get the credit over who sucks the most 😁

100%

Anyone in NJ or traveling to the area to see the Bengals play the Jets? It is Halloween and the game will be so much fun.

We are in the area and at the stadium next week doing a tailgate for the opposing team. So this week we will be hosting Bengals fans. If anyone wants to join us we will make sure you have a great time.

More importantly, if you have questions on the area, hit us up. Happy to answer and point you in the right direction.

-Things to do in NY 
-Things to do in NJ
-How to get to the stadium from NY or NJ (drive, uber or mass transit)
-The new Mall next to the stadium (amazing, although the indoor ski resort is closed until November)

Let us know if you are going to the game. Go Bengals!

11 hours ago, BengalBuck said:

You know, I think about that Bears game a lot. How did they lose that game to a team like that with a rookie QB? If they played that game again the Bengals would win by 3 touchdowns...easy!

I think this team was complacent going into that game and got beat by a team that is not on their level. I truly believe the Bengals as a whole learned tons from that game and never walk on the field with that same attitude ever again. Lesson learned.

Same here.  I think Joe still had his knee in his head and the O line was just gelling and Carman having growing pains.

Feel much the same way about Green Bay.  Aaron Rogers was so warm and fuzzy with Joe after the game that

he knew the Packers had just been handed a Gift from God rather than their collective asses.

BUT... thankful for what we have rather than sour grapes going forward.

I would be willing to bet Mikey has Chris Perry and Ki-Jana Carter down in the bowels of Paul Brown Stadium

hand cranking out playoff tickets on an old mimeograph machine he got at Salvation Army for $5.00 as we speak.

9 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

The difference in this team is free agency.  The team always seemed content trying to build only thru the draft.  Once the Dunlap, Geno and AJ Green contracts were off the books they had to spend some money.  

Certainly the better drafts helped but the FAs we added pushed us from average to damn good.  

18 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The difference in this team is free agency.  The team always seemed content trying to build only thru the draft.  Once the Dunlap, Geno and AJ Green contracts were off the books they had to spend some money.  

Certainly the better drafts helped but the FAs we added pushed us from average to damn good.  

For sure.  It's going to be interesting to see who they sign after this season. A lot of guys on the last year of their deal. 

The most important?

Bates

Spain

Ogunjobi

Uzomah

Reiff

Bates, Spain, and Ogunjobi are due for big raises.  As the Bengals get good the salary cap dance will come into play.

9 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I think you can just compare Taylor's types of players to Marvin's since Tobin was the same factor in both. Taylor has brought in high character guys from organizations that have won at both the college and NFL levels. With Marvin character was an afterthought. I think that will be the difference maker when it comes time to play in the playoffs between those Bengals teams that imploded at the first sign of adversity vs this one. I believe this team is built to win when it counts.

33 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I think you can just compare Taylor's types of players to Marvin's since Tobin was the same factor in both. Taylor has brought in high character guys from organizations that have won at both the college and NFL levels. With Marvin character was an afterthought. I think that will be the difference maker when it comes time to play in the playoffs between those Bengals teams that imploded at the first sign of adversity vs this one. I believe this team is built to win when it counts.

I do agree the character part is ZT.  He vocalized that early.  

I wouldn’t totally blame Marvin on the character issues.  Mike Brown kept guys Marvin wanted to unload due to character.  Brown was on record talking about giving guys a second chance.  The fact that those players were also cheap didn’t hurt.  

3 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I do agree the character part is ZT.  He vocalized that early.  

I wouldn’t totally blame Marvin on the character issues.  Mike Brown kept guys Marvin wanted to unload due to character.  Brown was on record talking about giving guys a second chance.  The fact that those players were also cheap didn’t hurt.  

Maybe but I also think because Marvin turned around Rey Lewis he had a little bit of Hubris that he could do it with others too.

2 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Maybe but I also think because Marvin turned around Rey Lewis he had a little bit of Hubris that he could do it with others too.

Ehhhh....not sure I'm giving Marvin credit for Ray Lewis.  He payed his price to his homeys by taking the rap and beating it.  Still don't respect the guy.  He knows who did the killing.

Still, a fair point.  Some guys do succeed after a second chance, but they need to be in the right culture.  A locker room full of guys like that rarely succeeds.

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

Ehhhh....not sure I'm giving Marvin credit for Ray Lewis.  He payed his price to his homeys by taking the rap and beating it.  Still don't respect the guy.  He knows who did the killing.

Still, a fair point.  Some guys do succeed after a second chance, but they need to be in the right culture.  A locker room full of guys like that rarely succeeds.

Yup

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

For sure.  It's going to be interesting to see who they sign after this season. A lot of guys on the last year of their deal. 

The most important?

Bates

Spain

Ogunjobi

Uzomah

Reiff

Bates, Spain, and Ogunjobi are due for big raises.  As the Bengals get good the salary cap dance will come into play.

Bates will probably get the franchise tag next year and a new deal the following year.

At least that is what I would do.

57 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

Bates will probably get the franchise tag next year and a new deal the following year.

At least that is what I would do.

Except the franchise tag can often piss players off. This team is in no position to do that and in no position to NOT sign its key top players for high value. The cap will start rising very quickly so there are no excuses from this point forward. The 'gains' the team has made in terms of players and performance has to be maintained and that will likely mean using the cap in more creative ways and being more clinical with older players. Bates, Wilson are now bedrocks of the D. Have to be signed. Period. 

Pos.

Franchise tag Transition tag
QB $24,112,000 $21,749,000
DE $17,752,000 $14,811,000
WR $16,430,000 $14,269,000
CB $15,266,000 $13,202,000
LB $15,657,000 $13,406,000
OL $14,507,000 $13,156,000
DT $14,178,000 $11,405,000
S $11,196,000 $9,550,000
RB $11,112,000 $8,942,000
TE $10,167,000 $9,267,000
ST $4,792,000 $4,382,000

Here are the numbers from the 2021 season. They will probably go up next year.

Archived