22 minutes ago, membengal said:

Pretty damn fine article from Morrison on Spain in The Athletic...will drop it here:

Quinton Spain's value soaring a year after joining Bengals: 'He’s just about all the right stuff' – The Athletic

Thanks for sharing this, great article. Ever since I saw Spain's interview (during training camp i believe), where he was like "I'm staying in Cincinnati, I don't care what it takes i'm coming back". Huge fan, both on and off the field.

8 hours ago, membengal said:

Pretty damn fine article from Morrison on Spain in The Athletic...will drop it here:

Quinton Spain's value soaring a year after joining Bengals: 'He’s just about all the right stuff' – The Athletic

The Brown family is going to have to pay that man.  Hope Mikey is over not paying guards. 

I hate to say this but I think we are going to have a hard time keeping Bates

Spain being the age he is will not demand anything that we can't do

Reiff same thing

I don't think we keep both Hill and Ogunjobi, I think Ogunjobi has been more impactful and I'd prefer to keep him over Hill but both have contributed. Tyler Shelvin better be ready next year.

I think we end up tagging Bates though, after next season we will have to resign Williams and start looking at extending Joey Franchise, so Bates is going to be hard to keep unless some of these guys take some hometown deals. 

28 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I hate to say this but I think we are going to have a hard time keeping Bates

Spain being the age he is will not demand anything that we can't do

Reiff same thing

I don't think we keep both Hill and Ogunjobi, I think Ogunjobi has been more impactful and I'd prefer to keep him over Hill but both have contributed. Tyler Shelvin better be ready next year.

I think we end up tagging Bates though, after next season we will have to resign Williams and start looking at extending Joey Franchise, so Bates is going to be hard to keep unless some of these guys take some hometown deals. 

Bates is a critical piece for the so called culture change. He should have already been signed and he should be the top paid safety in the league. You cannot f*ck around with guys like that. Team leader, All pro, drafted yourself and part of the original change. Critical piece going forward. 

Just now, I_C_Deadpeople said:

Bates is a critical piece for the so called culture change. He should have already been signed and he should be the top paid safety in the league. You cannot f*ck around with guys like that. Team leader, All pro, drafted yourself and part of the original change. Critical piece going forward. 

I don't disagree but we also have to manage money as Burrow's contract is going to be huge in the next year or two, and we have to resign Williams to protect him as well. Do we then let Spain and Ogunjobi walk? Reiff? If we resign Bates, we may have to let all three of those guys and maybe Hill too, move on and hope the draft picks we made this year and likely next year can fill those spots. 

Just now, Jamie_B said:

I don't disagree but we also have to manage money as Burrow's contract is going to be huge in the next year or two, and we have to resign Williams to protect him as well. Do we then let Spain and Ogunjobi walk? Reiff? If we resign Bates, we may have to let all three of those guys and maybe Hill too, move on and hope the draft picks we made this year and likely next year can fill those spots. 

No one has to walk! Or at least the most critical guys do not.  The team has to modernize how they use the cap and the space. This team is ultra conservative on how they use the space while other teams are creative. in the end all teams spend the same amount of monies over time, it is a matter of when and how it is spent. We have several years before JB has to sign and the cap will be up significantly. By then Mixons deal is up, Waynes can be turfed, etc. 

Just now, I_C_Deadpeople said:

No one has to walk! Or at least the most critical guys do not.  The team has to modernize how they use the cap and the space. This team is ultra conservative on how they use the space while other teams are creative. in the end all teams spend the same amount of monies over time, it is a matter of when and how it is spent. We have several years before JB has to sign and the cap will be up significantly. By then Mixons deal is up, Waynes can be turfed, etc. 

Good luck with that, I do not see the team changing it's business model in any way.

IIRC they extended Carson 2 years before his 5 year rookie contract was up. I would not be surprised if they do the same for Joe.

18 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Good luck with that, I do not see the team changing it's business model in any way.

IIRC they extended Carson 2 years before his 5 year rookie contract was up. I would not be surprised if they do the same for Joe.

How much will losing Waynes?

Anything?  I'm not into this sort of things

but I would say be could be subtraction (Waynes)

and that $$ added to the Jesse Bates pool.

10 minutes ago, High School Harry said:

How much will losing Waynes?

Anything?  I'm not into this sort of things

but I would say be could be subtraction (Waynes)

and that $$ added to the Jesse Bates pool.

No idea how much is left on his contract, but I'd look at that too.

35 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

No idea how much is left on his contract, but I'd look at that too.

Waynes is due $11M next season.  There would be $5M of dead cap space if they cut him. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/trae-waynes-16735/

It could help, but the Bengals would have to sign someone else or rely on a rookie at CB. 

Just now, UncleEarl said:

Waynes is due $11M next season.  There would be $5M of dead cap space if they cut him. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/trae-waynes-16735/

It could help, but the Bengals would have to sign someone else or rely on a rookie at CB. 

I think you could extend Apple at a lower cost, and then draft his long term replacement. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_B said:

Exactly. That's what they'll do with Joe and it'll soften the cap hit

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

I think you could extend Apple at a lower cost, and then draft his long term replacement. 

Apple will want starter money in that case, which will be way more than $1.2M.  Awuzie is getting $7.5, so I would expect Apple would want at least $5M.  So, if you cut Waynes you have $5M in dead cap space and are probably going to have to pay someone  $5M.  Cap wise it's a wash. 

3 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Apple will want starter money in that case, which will be way more than $1.2M.  Awuzie is getting $7.5, so I would expect Apple would want at least $5M.  So, if you cut Waynes you have $5M in dead cap space and are probably going to have to pay someone  $5M.  Cap wise it's a wash. 

I almost promise we will draft a CB high, good luck Apple.

6 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Apple has been with several teams before landing here. I'm not sure he could command as much as we think.

Archived