Bengals at Jets Game Thread - Game 8 2021 Season

5 hours ago, I_C_Deadpeople said:

The ref call does not matter, this team was shit today and the Jets deserve the win. Red Zone fails early, D gives up open receivers all day. Just a joke. 

This...

.NO energy today..

Way to get the team up and ready Zack..

Sometimes i think hes too fuckin mellow..

Shitshow today ...

5 hours ago, HavePityPlease said:

It had to have been deleted, I replied to it and my reply is gone from my history.

If this is true that is sad. 

If a Brewer thread is banned just say so.  Everyone knows my opinion.  I'm done arguing about it. 

15 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

If this is true that is sad. 

If a Brewer thread is banned just say so.  Everyone knows my opinion.  I'm done arguing about it. 

Normally, if something is banned or hidden I can still see it since I am a mod.  I don’t see anything on the site or in the history.  

If the threads owner deletes it, I still think I can see it. Not sure what happens if another mod deletes it but we usually discuss these things.  This might have happened, I don’t know.  

Go can delete a thread as well and he doesn’t need to ask permission obviously.  

10 hours ago, SF2 said:

The Jets has 32 First Downs and 511 yards of offense.  The pass defense reminded me of the Artel Hawkins days.  

This and for me it felt like alot of it was scheme, like we were just letting them run underneath passes. It felt like we were in prevent all day. And while I realize that we are not typically a blitzing team, how do you not do that with a guy that has never taken a snap in a regular season game?

The players missing tackles was on them. Lou's lack of a game plan and complete lack of making adjustments to what they did is completely on him.

And right after I said I was wrong about him too.....

9 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

This and for me it felt like alot of it was scheme, like we were just letting them run underneath passes. It felt like we were in prevent all day. And while I realize that we are not typically a blitzing team, how do you not do that with a guy that has never taken a snap in a regular season game?

The players missing tackles was on them. Lou's lack of a game plan and complete lack of making adjustments to what they did is completely on him.

And right after I said I was wrong about him too.....

We blitzed early and they killed us. Their scheme did a great job of slowing down the rush and getting LB's on WR's in the zone. More than half of the passes on the way to 500+ yards were covered by linebackers. The best thing was when we kept faking blitzes and they just sent WR's out to the flat. F***ing destroyed us.

Honestly, we didn't respect the Jets and they came out and showed us it is still an any given Sunday league. You can't talk about how this is a trap game against an easy team - without reinforcing that this is an "easy" game. You say "There's no such thing as trap games. These are all NFL teams and they're all excellent."

I keep thinking Zac is going to learn... But....

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

We blitzed early and they killed us. Their scheme did a great job of slowing down the rush and getting LB's on WR's in the zone. More than half of the passes on the way to 500+ yards were covered by linebackers. The best thing was when we kept faking blitzes and they just sent WR's out to the flat. F***ing destroyed us.

Honestly, we didn't respect the Jets and they came out and showed us it is still an any given Sunday league. You can't talk about how this is a trap game against an easy team - without reinforcing that this is an "easy" game. You say "There's no such thing as trap games. These are all NFL teams and they're all excellent."

I keep thinking Zac is going to learn... But....

Do we even cover the flats???

I dont understand Golden or Annarumo's

schemes on this...

11 minutes ago, esjbh2 said:

This talk about the "flats" brings back fond memories of listening to Phil Samp.  As I kid it seemed like 90% of the passes were "in the flat" according to Phil.  Terrific oldschool announcer.

We have two huge problems on this team..

There's a Huge Hole between RT and LG..

Hopkins hasnt recovered from his injury and Carman had back surgery in January and has hurt it again..

Not their fault theyre playing that  Bad due to that.

I dont know if Carman is a guard or a RT in the future but the power and agility is not there for either this year..

The second thing I see is the linebackers arent good at pass coverage ..

Every opponent will try and use this to their advantage here on out..

3 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Do we even cover the flats???

I dont understand Golden or Annarumo's

schemes on this...

Only in man-to-man. In zone you let the short zone come up and make the tackle.

The problem is, that when your LB is blitzing or faking blitz, your WR can get wide and outside of zone contain. The Jets used motion to weight one side of the field and then took whatever WR got picked up by a LB. RB stays in to block and then cuts out underneath all of that as a safety valve.

Easiest counter is to zone blitz to the weak side - That was Lou's answer. Essentially letting a DE cover under the WR and picking up the safety valve. Hubbard had a lot of tipped balls. You can also go Cover 6, drop the Safety strong side and let the MLB play spy with weak side shade on the RB coming out of the backfield. That would have been smarter. Plus you're making a rookie QB throw deep middle to beat the Cover 6. Always dangerous.

Give Mike White some credit. He made good pre-snap reads, knew where his guys were going, and got the ball there. Andy Dalton would be proud. Still plenty of QB's in this league who struggle with one of the three. And at the end of the day, Mike White was better than Lou expected. The early game plan was to rattle a young guy. By the third quarter, we were struggling for answers ourselves. Success breeds success. When you get the offense going, you can scheme off of what worked for you last time. If you're running well, the LB's play close and the passing game opens up. And so on....

What really stands out to me is the offensive play calling. We've had some big plays, very few sustained drives of 10 or more plays. Unless it was 2 ineffective runs, a 50 yard bomb, etc... The third down percentage is still terrible. Carman has got to get more consistent, or he needs to be replaced. Jonah Williams needs to get it in gear too. We're still not a team that can straight up run the ball at you. But at the end of the day, Zac's play calling is letting this offense down.

1 hour ago, LostInDaJungle said:

The problem is, that when your LB is blitzing or faking blitz, your WR can get wide and outside of zone contain. The Jets used motion to weight one side of the field and then took whatever WR got picked up by a LB. RB stays in to block and then cuts out underneath all of that as a safety valve.

Easiest counter is to zone blitz to the weak side - That was Lou's answer. Essentially letting a DE cover under the WR and picking up the safety valve. Hubbard had a lot of tipped balls. You can also go Cover 6, drop the Safety strong side and let the MLB play spy with weak side shade on the RB coming out of the backfield. That would have been smarter. Plus you're making a rookie QB throw deep middle to beat the Cover 6. Always dangerous.

Give Mike White some credit. He made good pre-snap reads, knew where his guys were going, and got the ball there. Andy Dalton would be proud. Still plenty of QB's in this league who struggle with one of the three. And at the end of the day, Mike White was better than Lou expected. The early game plan was to rattle a young guy. By the third quarter, we were struggling for answers ourselves. Success breeds success. When you get the offense going, you can scheme off of what worked for you last time. If you're running well, the LB's play close and the passing game opens up. And so on....

What really stands out to me is the offensive play calling. We've had some big plays, very few sustained drives of 10 or more plays. Unless it was 2 ineffective runs, a 50 yard bomb, etc... The third down percentage is still terrible. Carman has got to get more consistent, or he needs to be replaced. Jonah Williams needs to get it in gear too. We're still not a team that can straight up run the ball at you. But at the end of the day, Zac's play calling is letting this offense down.

Outstanding analysis ..

As usual..tks

On 10/31/2021 at 9:17 PM, Shebengal said:
Says it all.

Yep.  Actually glad to hear him say this.  First time I remember him taking the blame.  Hopefully he realizes he has to get a lot better and the Xs and Os of this game for the Bengals to be really good.

10 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

No real game film on this guy until now.  He isn’t going to continue to do what he did to us.  It was a shitty soft zone or prevent that was the issue.  He played for Western Kentucky U.  😂  And he has been in the league for 3 plus years.  We shall see what he does from now on.    I am willing to bet not much.  

I am still ticked about the Hilton penalty call and now the NFL is making excuses.   See the conversation attached.  The Jets are 3 and 0 when Tripp Sutter is the Line Ref.  He threw the flag. Vegas money?  Coincidence?  It looked like the Bengals did not want to tackle? Why?  Are games rigged?  Bigger Market teams need to win for the NFL to continue.  Just saying… conspiracy theorist?  You tell me. C27F465C-1C77-427D-A7F0-569146924793.thumb.jpeg.32f1fdcf767ea218fb4721927f197df8.jpeg

1 hour ago, TigerJ@w said:

I am still ticked about the Hilton penalty call and now the NFL is making excuses.   See the conversation attached.  The Jets are 3 and 0 when Tripp Sutter is the Line Ref.  He threw the flag. Vegas money?  Coincidence?  It looked like the Bengals did not want to tackle? Why?  Are games rigged?  Bigger Market teams need to win for the NFL to continue.  Just saying… conspiracy theorist?  You tell me. C27F465C-1C77-427D-A7F0-569146924793.thumb.jpeg.32f1fdcf767ea218fb4721927f197df8.jpeg

The wimpy media didn't ask the right question which is:

If the RB did not lower his head to thigh level, would this still have been a penalty?

2 hours ago, TigerJ@w said:

Let me add, Tripp Sutter is 4 and 0 when he does one of our games.  Meaning, we have lost all 4 when he is either a line judge or down judge.  He has only been a Ref in the NFL since 2019. 

IIRC he (I believe it was him) had a huge smile on his face when the Jets scored the one toe-tap sideline TD:

RefGrinning.thumb.png.22ae8772c59e852e8a5cd5db57832c5c.png

15 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

We have two huge problems on this team..

There's a Huge Hole between RT and LG..

Hopkins hasnt recovered from his injury and Carman had back surgery in January and has hurt it again..

Not their fault theyre playing that  Bad due to that.

I dont know if Carman is a guard or a RT in the future but the power and agility is not there for either this year..

The second thing I see is the linebackers arent good at pass coverage ..

Every opponent will try and use this to their advantage here on out..

I'm wondering how much of the LB issue is due to being young and not having the experience to understand things that opposing teams might not have put on film yet.

A better question would have been to ask if the referee had watched the video of the tackle.  If he hasn't what choice does he have but to go with the decision of the line judge?  That guy screwed up and it's unlikely the other guys had much of a view.

Archived