The Good, The Bad, And the Ugly: New York Jets 10/31/21

Good:

- Other than the early couple drops the receivers played well.

- Sam Hubbard at least showed up to play, can't say the same for anybody else on the D.

- McPherson didn't miss anything?

Bad:

- Defense couldn't stop a single short pass, the zone was totally exposed by an accurate QB with no experience.

- Pass rush was MIA and they're really wasn't any reason for it.  Just the same, respect to the Jets OL for doing the job and respect to the QB for getting out of so many blitzes with quick passes.

- Our OL had a bad day blocking, the Jets have a good line but they've faced just as good before.

- The drop by Chase in the end zone.

Ugly:

- That fucking call that resulted in the INT.  I'm sorry but this is that JV shit Taylor does that really makes it hard to win games.

- Getting sacked on fourth down on the first drive.

Good

Hubbard, he had 3 or 4 pass deflections

Bad

D looked like absolute crap other than Hubbard

Ugly

Coaching, the whole team looked flat.

The personal foul penalty against Hilton, the Jets RB should have been flagged if the call is made at all

Good-I'm struggling to come up with something

The bad- The absolute bullshit call that ended the game

The Ugly-Lou A's defense (other than the turnovers) that absolutely SUCKED the entire game. I apologized for not wanting him fired earlier today, I now with draw that. What a pathetic showing.

Good: The Jets coaching staff

Bad:

- Linebackers MIA

- Arm tackling

- Our WR's got no seperation

Ugly:

- Our mid-week preperation

- The helmet to helmet call on Hilton

- Play calling in the red-zone

Disgusting:

- Zac challenging the goal line spot; smacked of desperation knowing he didn't have an answer to the Jet's goal line stand.

Good

- WRs with the exception of the Chase TD drop

- McGoat did not miss anything

- Mixon running the ball well and after the catch when the OL did something 

Bad

- OL who is back to getting Burrow destroyed 

- Defense couldn't stop a cold or cover a RB or anyone 

Ugly

- Zac not running the ball before the half to run off most of the clock

- Zac play calling

- Lou for playing prevent defense (i thought Mediocre Marv was back)

- The idiotic ref throwing the flag on the helmet to helmet contact not initiated by Hilton

GOOD

Tee Higgins-Had a solid game. If they can find a way to utilize all three of these guys effectively, I'm not sure they can be stopped.

Tyler Boyd-69 yards and a TD receiving and threw a nice trick play pass for 46 (although most was YAC)

Sam Hubbard-3 solo tackles, 2 passes knocked down and a TFL

Kevin Huber-Did his job. Four punts, three inside the 20.

Partial Marks To-Burrow, Ogunjobi, Hendrickson, Bates, Pratt and Wilson

BAD

Ja'Marr Chase-He hasn't made many mistakes but the TD drop was big

Trey Hopkins-Isn't the guy. He was the least stinky turd. Now he's the stinkiest.

Rush Defense-Michael Carter (who?) puts up 5.1 YPC on you. 

UGLY

Preparedness-They weren't prepared, at all. This game smacked of Marvin Lewis football. Looked flat, got caught off guard and lost.

4th Quarter INT-Terrible all around

Referees-Horrific all day both ways but that call on Hilton was a mockery of the game. Incredibly poor call especially when it decides the game

Pass Coverage-How do you let Mike White put 400+ yards and 3 TDs up on you?!?

Tackling-I haven't seen tackling that poor since Rey Maualuga

Challenge Flag-The challenge in the first quarter was a ludicrous call. I was expecting to see something that I totally missed on the replay. I didn't.

Ugly- Feeling all week that we were due for a classic let down game. Like the Halloween game some years back against the Dolphins where we lost Geno, this shit was hard to watch. 

Knowing I have zero faith in Zac Taylor getting their heads on straight, but still believing in this team. 

We deserved to lose this one. Classic Bengals shit. Shouldn't have been in position to let the refs fuck it up for us. Oh well. On to the Browns. 

Something we can sort of glean from all this, the coaches appear to ALWAYS have a let down after an uplifting win, and *especially* when the team we're playing is a "bad" one.  Look at this season's results:

Game One:  Tight OT win against the Vikings, a team we were "supposed" to lose to from past results. 

Game Two:  Lose in really disappointing fashion to the shitty Bears.

Game Three:  Huge uplifting win over the hated Stealers, and looked good doing it.

Game Four:  BARELY win against the HORRENDOUS Jags (pretty much a carbon copy of today's game, but different result).

Game Five:  Have a good game against the Packers, but lose.  A lot of confidence and hunger gained from the showing.

Game Six: Hunger from Packers loss leads to good all-around win against a lesser team we were supposed to be beat in the Lions.

Game Seven:  Loads of focus to come and really make a statement against the rival Ravens.  Enormous (too much) confidence and flattery received.

Game Eight: HORRIBLE showing against the HORRIBLE Jets, and lose.

After the Packers loss I started thinking - is "Victory Monday" a bad idea with this team?  Does it take away important prep time that this coach can't afford to lose?  I was really nervous that they'd come and lay an egg against the Lions and then even more nervous they'd tank against the Ravens, so like everyone I had my hopes up.  Welp, the pattern really hasn't changed as can be seen above.

I wouldn't mind quite as much if we'd been torched by someone pulling off amazing throws, but we played 10 yards deep, backed up, and got dink and dunked for 400 yards. Hell I could've thrown 200 against that D and I'm an old man jealous of Kitnas arm strength.

After three years, ZT is as good as he's going to be and he's AWFUL.

Good:

This team has pleasantly surprised me many times this season.

Bad: 

Today they lived up to my past expectations.

Ugly:

I still see Mike Brown's Bengals as I have for years, as a team that will eventually embarrass themselves.  That is truly their legacy since '92, embarrassment.  They've had a lot of horrible teams, but they've had some good ones too.  Even the good ones end up losing in embarrassing fashion. 

This may have just been an aberration.  Plenty of good teams have bad weeks, but losses like this just bring back all those memories. 

Damn, I hope that isn't what's happening here.

8 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

This may have just been an aberration.  Plenty of good teams have bad weeks, but losses like this just bring back all those memories. 

It was our 3rd away game in a row, I'm hoping that's a large part of the reason we played like garbage (well on defense anyways).

It has been 14 hours and I am still aghast over the horrid tackling and the failure to change defensive approach as game wore on.

this game was lost at two critical junctures before the ref show - when they went up 17-7 just under two minutes left in first half and D let jets March downfield and score the TD before halftime and when burrow led bengals to 31-20 lead with just seven minutes left and D rolled over for a three minute drive to put jets back within a score. Just really awful stuff from a unit who had been so good. Really frustrating.

1 hour ago, kennethmw said:

Just one other observation regarding this...

I was watching SNF last night and there was a play that to my eyes looked exactly like this one.  There was no flag, there was no ref discussion, the commentators didn't say a word about it, play just continued.  I know we shouldn't blame the refs for the loss, but jeeeeessshhhhh, still just pisses me off.

A couple of thoughts this morning...

Mike White, Trevor Siemian, Geno Smith and Cooper Rush led their respective teams to victory yesterday beating Joe Burrow, Tom Brady, Trevor Lawrence and Kirk Cousins.

The Bengals were winning by 11 points with 4:46 left in the game

The Bengals have lost three games by three points

And a question...

Is Zac Taylor's style of offense intentionally some type of rope-a-dope thing where you lay low early and let the opponent punch themselves out a bit and then bring it? This season they have scored 24 points in the 1st Quarter (average of 3 points per game), 82 points in the first half (average of 10.25 points per game) and 138 points in the second half (average of 17.25 points per game). I think we've all noticed the glacier like slow starts on offense but, if this is on purpose, it's pretty strange.

Archived