How Angry Will You Be Tonight?

7 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

That something they found was probably confidence after kicking the snot out of us.

I don't disagree that NY has a good O-Coord, but it also proves out that despite some great play, Lou is still getting schooled on X's and O's. Muc like Burrow has made some great plays to cover up some of Zac's failings as a play caller on Offense. If anything, it's a common theme that they aren't fooling anyone whether it's a Joe Mixon run or a Buzz 3 safety. The headline wasn't "Jet's call great game", it was "Bengals make it too easy".

We're getting to the part of our schedule where we're gong to be facing teams who DIDN'T find their coaches on Craigslist. We're #22 in the league in completion against percentage. #27 pass play success. #23 pass yards per game. And we faced offenses desperate enough to start Andy Dalton.

I don't know how Zac and Lou improve that during the season. Maybe it's just more time and consistency for a relatively new unit. If guys start making the right reads and the right switches, most any scheme can look decent. There was an example in that article where if Pratt and Wilson switch, it's a great call. But it's something to watch. Coaching needs to be better on both sides of the ball. Especially if this isn't going to be a 1 and done wild-card. Again. 

There’s a lot of truth in what you say here. On the other hand, before the season started I would have considered the season a success if they went 9-8. But they came out and looked better than I expected against some fairly mediocre teams. This team has a lot of potential. Hopefully they grow as a team, and the coaching staff pulls their heads out of their asses because the rest of the schedule looks pretty brutal. 

On the bright side, this team seems to play better against good competition which bodes well if the playoffs every grace us. This would be the opposite of most ML teams. 

If we make the playoffs, we will not be playing the Jets or Jags. 

Bit of an analogy here with my CFL (best in the league right now BTW), but I have noticed that our DC calls a much more aggressive game againts the better teams and play calls far more conservative against the lesser teams. The one time he did go balls out against a lesser team was two weeks ago and we won 45-0.

10 hours ago, whodey? said:

There’s a lot of truth in what you say here. On the other hand, before the season started I would have considered the season a success if they went 9-8. But they came out and looked better than I expected against some fairly mediocre teams. This team has a lot of potential. Hopefully they grow as a team, and the coaching staff pulls their heads out of their asses because the rest of the schedule looks pretty brutal. 

Before the season, I was expecting Zac to be fired. The difference has been better play than expected from some FA's.

Hot start or not, people aren't going to be satisficed with making it to the wild card game. So, my question is this: when we start facing the good teams, with better than average coordinators, and Zac and Lou up to the task? It's great that we're talented enough to beat bad teams, but no one remembers Marvin Lewis beating a 1-15 team. We're not going to beat good teams if we make it easy on them.

8 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Before the season, I was expecting Zac to be fired. The difference has been better play than expected from some FA's.

Hot start or not, people aren't going to be satisficed with making it to the wild card game. So, my question is this: when we start facing the good teams, with better than average coordinators, and Zac and Lou up to the task? It's great that we're talented enough to beat bad teams, but no one remembers Marvin Lewis beating a 1-15 team. We're not going to beat good teams if we make it easy on them.

Im not sure how good the OCs and DCs

theyll face in the second half..

They play at home 5 of the next 7 games..

That schedule looks tough allright..

Gonna be a helluva ride though..

13 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

You don't find coordinators with better reputations that the Ravens. 

15 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

You expected Zac to be fired before the season, but now wont be satisfied just making it to the wild card game?

That is a pretty dramatic shift in expectations. 

I thought this team had a chance to be the final team in the playoffs this year at the start of the season. If they do anything less than that Ill be disappointed, anything more Ill be stoked. I thought they were a year away from competing with good teams and now I think they are a year away from being special. In other words we're a year ahead of where I thought we would be so I'm pretty pleased about that. 

57 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

You expected Zac to be fired before the season, but now wont be satisfied just making it to the wild card game?

That is a pretty dramatic shift in expectations. 

I thought this team had a chance to be the final team in the playoffs this year at the start of the season. If they do anything less than that Ill be disappointed, anything more Ill be stoked. I thought they were a year away from competing with good teams and now I think they are a year away from being special. In other words we're a year ahead of where I thought we would be so I'm pretty pleased about that. 

Bingo!

Archived