Has our code been cracked?

People are starting to take us a bit more seriously, which means that they're working harder. Meanwhile, we seem to have taken a big step back in intensity.

I made the point earlier - the defense hasn't been great, they've made some great plays. The offense hasn't been great - they've made great plays. Joe Burrow had a ball hit a defender in the face right to Tyler Boyd, first down a few weeks ago. Now those plays aren't going our way. This is still the same team who made it "close" with a Jaguars team still dealing with grindgate.

We're past the easy games and dealing with actual NFL coordinators. We'd better hope we're more talented, because we are not better coached. Another week of losing the X's and O's battle and it's getting ugly. Blown coverages, missed protections...

37 minutes ago, Montana Bengal said:

Our wide receivers played very poorly.

Ja'Marr Chase ... 6 receptions on 13 targets for 49 yards.

And a fumble.

My hopes for a Bengals Rookie of the Year have been dashed.

Spare me the "not all on him"... he had a TD go tight through his arms.

I still think he can't make easy catches.

3 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

The team's offensive line graded 60 today..thats bad..

My boy Adenijji hade a 32pff pass protection grade...ugg

Hes too small to be a RG at 6'5 300llbs..

Hes a backup LT or LG..

The defense line rated a 70pff..

Hubbard graded a 90 today..

Kind of a broken record for 20 years.  Teams establish the run and we simply can not stop them.  Chubb was killing us on fairly simple running plays.  

1 hour ago, Montana Bengal said:

Our wide receivers played very poorly.

I honestly think this was a big reason.  The plays were there...many balls were catchable.  I can't count how many times a big play, either yardage or in a crucial time, just couldn't quite be made...so close, but just couldn't quite do it.  I mean, some of the non-catches would have been impressive catches had they been made, but they've been made in the past.  Chase on several, and Higgins on a couple, etc, etc.  Plus the ball bouncing off a receiver and ended up being interceptions.  Sometimes that's just the way the ball bounces.  We got several of those plays early including the pick-6 and it just put too much pressure on a team that I think tries too hard when faced with adversity.  Sadly once the tide got shifted, we just couldn't seem to get it back despite so many close, close, close barely misses...typical Bengals with that song.  I think the offense will come back just fine.

I'm more worried about how the defense has disappeared.  Pass rush, pass coverage, run stopping, etc, etc...has all regressed the past 2 weeks.  Concerning.

37 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Hes a backup LT or LG..

It’s bad when your best OL is a guy you picked up on waivers. (Spain). Williams and Reiff are C+/B- tackles, Hopkins has been a D center, and whoever we put at RG is a flat out F.  

Other than Reiff being an upgrade over the historically bad Bobby Hart, the front office did no where near enough to upgrade this unit.  It’s good to have a better OL coach in Pollack, but he can’t make chicken salad out of chicken shit. 

They got too big headed. When Mixon said "it's gonna be scary if we get hot," I knew.   Look for them to bounce back strong after this bye week. They were a little too high after that Ravens victory (including me as a fan). Now they come back to Earth and get back on the grind. Get them shovels out :)

3 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Hes a backup LT or LG..

Where'd you get those numbers? Are you a PFF subscriber? What level?

I think the reality is that the Bengals are likely just settling in to the team that they actually are. A mildly above average team. I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer but, I think they're just not that good.

Our offensive line is a HUGE issue. The excitement of Ja'Marr Chase's early success helped distract people from the reality that the Bengals didn't do what was necessary in the offseason to fix the line and Joe Burrow is taking way too many really hard hits.

Speaking of Burrow, he's throwing far too many costly INTs this year at key times in games. He's now tied for the NFL lead.

The coaching is substandard, we've got some talented weapons and some unheralded defenders but the Bengals haven't done enough to crawl out of that 4-11-1 hole they were in last year. They're on the right path but, they're not there yet.

Offensive line and the secondary have to be significant area of attention in the offseason. 

Archived