Feels weird being in a shitty division.

I dunno...it seems like there is lots more parity in the league to start with...much less difference between best and worst.  But I think the other reason is that games are more about match-ups (even sub-.500 teams can match-up positively with certain teams), coaching, strategy, game-plans which can result in "any given Sunday" (or Thursday or Monday) outcomes.

10 hours ago, GoBengals said:

the AFCN has been such a strong division for what, like 15+ years? it feels strange being in a shitty one with a bunch of .500 tallent level teams, it really appears all 4 teams are about equal, even more odd that the browns may be the best team, even if its by a hair.

Mike Brown will always drag you down to his level eventually.

There are a few bad teams, a few very good teams and a whole bunch of mediocre.  This is the result of an actual salary cap, transparency, and a rookie salary scale.  

I believe other reasons are good agents, contract transparency  and independent player evaluation like a PFF. Good agents and GMs know about how much a player is actually worth (PFF and Next Gen), which teams have cap space and which need a player at a position. 

The talent is also much closer than ever. For every TJ Watt or Sam Darnold there are 20 dudes the other teams have to pick from and pay the same.  Unless you get 3 or 4 studs like the Rams or Tampa Bay, AND A GREAT QB, you will probably be mediocre.  

A team like the Browns probably wins 13 games with a top 5 QB.  

Actually the AFC North is the best division in the NFL by average winning percentage of all the teams in the division(.601) and the AFC North has the best cumulative record of any division in the Conference (13-10). 

The AFC West is close in winning percentage but has a losing record vs the conference. 

The AFC North is arguably the best in the NFL as every team has a winning record and they have winning record  vs other teams conference teams. 

If for no other reason: the AFC North isn't shitty because there are no shitty teams in it. You play any one of those teams and you're in for a dog fight. I'd love to be in division where you get to play teams like Jags, Texans, Dolphins and Jets twice a yr. We don't have any of that. I know we screwed up vs the Jets but that didn't make the Jets good

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2021/11/15/bengals-smallest-chance-afc-north-crown-week-10-results/

The Cincinnati Bengals enjoyed some much-needed time off in Week 10 and also enjoyed some very fortunate results from their AFC North brethren.

The Baltimore Ravens lost to the Miami Dolphins on Thursday night, the Cleveland Browns got absolutely destroyed by the New England Patriots and the Pittsburgh Stealers (without Ben Roethlisberger) tied with the winless Detroit Lions (which means 8-8-1 is officially a possibility!).

Despite all that, the Bengals still have the lowest odds to win the division, per ESPN’s Football Power Index.

Part of that stems from the Bengals’ remaining schedule. Five of Cincinnati’s remaining eight games are against teams with winning records and two others are 5-5. Their only remaining game left against a team with a losing record is against San Francisco.

Four of those remaining games are against current AFC playoff teams (Stealers, Chargers, Ravens, Chiefs). But the good news is all four of those games are at home.

So needless to say, the Bengals have a brutal but very important stretch down the line, starting with Sunday’s game against the Raiders in Vegas. But after that, Cincinnati has five of the final seven at home, including a three-game homestand against the Stealers, Chargers and 49ers.

Browns 19.6%
Stealers 12.9%
Bengals 8.4%

*** Slight favorites vs Las Vegas as if now

18 hours ago, Sea Ray said:

If for no other reason: the AFC North isn't shitty because there are no shitty teams in it. You play any one of those teams and you're in for a dog fight. I'd love to be in division where you get to play teams like Jags, Texans, Dolphins and Jets twice a yr. We don't have any of that. I know we screwed up vs the Jets but that didn't make the Jets good

Just think of all those easy roads to a #1 or #2 seed and a first round bye for NE because of that shitty division they resided in for years. It makes a big difference when you don't have to face a team full of thugs trying to injure your star players in the fucking WC round. 

On 11/15/2021 at 6:25 PM, Sea Ray said:

Exactly!!  New England walked that shitty Division stuff to 6 wins a season almost every season for the last two decades.  If you play .500 ball in the other 10(11 now), you're at 11 wins, which generally gets you in the Playoffs.  That shit Rarely happens in the North!

Archived