Bengals at Raiders post-game thoughts/Good-Bad-Ugly

I will toss thoughts but don't usually do the GBE format - but feel free to use the traditional on y'alls own...

---Not sure they win that game if Bullock or Seibert are still this team's kicker. McPherson bombing figgies from 54, 53 and 51 - with each being needed points was a massive difference in this game. That guy totally changes the dynamic.

---I alluded to this in the game thread, but I generally hate pushing the run game - but ZT had the right plan today. Easier to live with the time it takes to establish the run and wear teams down late (like they did today) when you have a kicker who can cash in drives when they inevitably run out of steam with that approach. Ravens for years use Tucker to bail them out in these kind of games - we got bailed out today w/ a good kicker. Nice.

---Sure wish they used Evans more - Perine is...fine. Evans has a whole different gear.

---Line stabalized as game went on after a roughish feeling 1st quarter. Allowing just one sack to Crosby/Ngokwe was good work in final analysis.

---Nice bounce-back for the defense - good gameplan and other than the one drive - really excellent from them today. Good discipline to choke down on the short passing game too.

---Good work from Burrow to be patient and not force things. Has to be hard to throttle back, but he managed things well today. 

---Still wish Higgins would find his mojo on contested catches. 

---I could not believe we waited two weeks for them to to run a TE screen to Sample for play one. Much cussing from me.

---That said, Sample does block well. And...Stanley Morgan blocks like a madman.

---Great game from Mixon - put the team on his back and got stronger as game went on. Nice to have that on film. 

---Wish they could find more consistency with the run blocking early in games - not sure what the issue is there. It gets better as game goes on. 

---vintage game from Boyd - glad they found him again to help move the sticks. ZT can't forget to do that going forward. 

5 minutes ago, membengal said:

I will toss thoughts but don't usually do the GBE format - but feel free to use the traditional on y'alls own...

---Not sure they win that game if Bullock or Seibert are still this team's kicker. McPherson bombing figgies from 54, 53 and 51 - with each being needed points was a massive difference in this game. That guy totally changes the dynamic.

---I alluded to this in the game thread, but I generally hate pushing the run game - but ZT had the right plan today. Easier to live with the time it takes to establish the run and wear teams down late (like they did today) when you have a kicker who can cash in drives when they inevitably run out of steam with that approach. Ravens for years use Tucker to bail them out in these kind of games - we got bailed out today w/ a good kicker. Nice.

---Sure wish they used Evans more - Perine is...fine. Evans has a whole different gear.

---Line stabalized as game went on after a roughish feeling 1st quarter. Allowing just one sack to Crosby/Ngokwe was good work in final analysis.

---Nice bounce-back for the defense - good gameplan and other than the one drive - really excellent from them today. Good discipline to choke down on the short passing game too.

---Good work from Burrow to be patient and not force things. Has to be hard to throttle back, but he managed things well today. 

---Still wish Higgins would find his mojo on contested catches. 

---I could not believe we waited two weeks for them to to run a TE screen to Sample for play one. Much cussing from me.

---That said, Sample does block well. And...Stanley Morgan blocks like a madman.

---Great game from Mixon - put the team on his back and got stronger as game went on. Nice to have that on film. 

---Wish they could find more consistency with the run blocking early in games - not sure what the issue is there. It gets better as game goes on. 

---vintage game from Boyd - glad they found him again to help move the sticks. ZT can't forget to do that going forward. 

Tired DL.  Dominate time of possession and you should be able to run.

Like what Morgan brings, but needs to be a threat to catch the ball or it will be obvious that the Bengals are running when he's in the game.

Good:

- Sam F'ing Hubbard

- Joe Mixon

- Stanley Morgan blocking

- Apple's pick

- Run blocking in the second half

- Hendrickson gutting it out to make a difference late

"Not bad" - I was originally thinking the pass coverage must be doing really well but the one time the Raiders actually made a push downfield they walked all over us so I give DB's some basic credit for how the game turned out, but I'm convinced now that it was more the Raiders offence "taking what the Bengals gave them" (with no real WR's on the roster) rather than challenging them at all.

Bad:

- OL in the first half

- Missed tackles all game long, the Raiders simply couldn't take advantage

Ugly:

- Seeing Joe grab his bad knee.  We simply can't continue like this.

Good: Sticking with what was working: Joe Mixon. 
Hubbard and Hendrickson had huge games. McPherson was awesome.  

Bad: Pass protection flat out terrifying.  Burrow getting hammered.

Ugly: Chris Collinsworth with another Big Ben/Stealer football suck off.   Oh, and what was up with that shitty grass field? Guys were falling down everywhere

Good, bad, and ugly are already covered pretty well...

I do have a "frustrating"...Waller is the Raiders best receiver hands down, and somehow he was wide open on several big plays.  I guess you can't stop everything, but I'd think Waller would be pretty high on the priority list.  It's not like he made great contested catches, or great passes, but rather he was seemingly able to get lost in the defense several times.  I get that we've never covered TE's well over the years, but Waller isn't just a normal TE.

Lou called a good game. With the exception of the 3 play TD drive - which is why you never pay prevent too early. Safeties were more active in disguising coverage. LB's need to work on it. Pratt especially. He needs to get his energy level up in general. There were some mistakes today, but mistakes can get fixed.  Pratt is making it too easy to know what he's doing.

I was pleasantly surprised by the second half offense. They let the O-Linemen get aggressive, and made the Raiders respect the run. It was the key to the second half offense. Still too many empty sets for an O-line of this performance.

Props to McPhearless from 50, but he can't be missing XP's.

All in all, we won the game. Few wins are perfect. On to the next one.

Good

2nd half tackle play, after a bad 1st half  they locked it down.

Apparently according to PFF the middle of the line played the best they have all year

Mixon

Chase in the back of the endzone

Joe spreading the ball around

Our book end DEs

Money McPherson...... it can not be overstated how much this kid has been valuable to us, I know team MVPs go to QBs, but he's my 1A. He has won us more than one game.

Apple was the game MVP. .... yeah I said it.

Did we get even one penalty?

Bad

Too many hits on Joe

1st half Tackle play

Ugly

Dont really have anything

2 minutes ago, SmoothD said:

The only ugly was that field.

It was a hot mess.

We are very fortunate to get out of there without a serious injury

God yes, add that to my ugly list. That field caused more than one slip.  Why do teams still want to play on grass?

Good - McGoat tied an NFL Record with three over 50 yarders made in a game and almost made it four and NFL record, but that was for 47 yards, He also broke our franchise record with his 6th 50 yarder or more in a season that was held since 1970, Mixon running well for 123 yards, Eli FUGI Apple with INT, Hendrickson on the Carr fumble, and Zac challenge 12 men on the field. Only 1 penalty the whole game.

Bad - Burrow fumble, Pass Blocking will get Burrow hurt again, played better in second half.  The D can’t cover a TE, nothing new.  

Ugly - Nothing that I can remember. 

Archived