Bengals at Raiders post-game thoughts/Good-Bad-Ugly

6 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I saw him whiff run blocking more than once.  Not sure how they grade, but you can be great 90% of the time, but a handful of key whiffs can kill a team. 

There isn't a tackle in the league that doesnt miss blocks, or get outmanned, from time to time.

GOOD

Win-A win and moving in to a playoff spot. 5 of the last 7 games are at home.

Joe Mixon-The straw that stirred the drink

Sam Hubbard-Another solid game

Trey Hendrickson-Has any Bengal assembled 9.5 sacks in 10 games so quietly?!?

Mike Hilton-Great job against Renfrow in the slot

Evan McPherson-As someone else mentioned, guy is VERY underrated. Anyone who still believes using a draft pick on a kicker was a bad idea is an idiot.

Quinton Spain-Solid in every game. He's my hands down re-signing priority in 2022. Needs to happen. Not doing so sets them back.

BAD

Joe Burrow-In general, especially the fumble. He was mildly passable. 

UGLY

Pass Blocking-I can't keep watching Joe Burrow get destroyed back there. It's fucking brutal. 

47 minutes ago, BengalFanInTO said:

BAD

Joe Burrow-In general, especially the fumble. He was mildly passable. 

UGLY

Pass Blocking-I can't keep watching Joe Burrow get destroyed back there. It's fucking brutal. 

The latter is the reason for the former.

4 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I saw him whiff run blocking more than once.  Not sure how they grade, but you can be great 90% of the time, but a handful of key whiffs can kill a team. 

I'm just as flummoxed. Williams had his best game as a pro - did not win 90% of his snaps. So far, his best game === Whitworth's worst game.

9 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

I'm just as flummoxed. Williams had his best game as a pro - did not win 90% of his snaps. So far, his best game === Whitworth's worst game.

Williams has been solid for the most part this year..

He seems to catch alot of flack on here because he isnt great....

Williams is at least above average. Maybe not “great” but there’s not a whole lot of great ones out there anyhow…Whit, Trent Williams and a couple others. Whole lot of guys like Jonah out there though. Thank the spread offense at the collegiate level for that. 

6 hours ago, membengal said:

you know no team will be 100% right? it was much improved. 

Where did anyone say 100%?  Not sure why you're straw-manning it, but I responded because this guy said "fixed", which is really big statement considering they actually missed so many tackles. 

The Raiders only ran 47 plays and only 18 of them were runs with 19 completed passes, so the sample size was rather small.  More than once multiple guys all missed at the same time at the same point on the field.  Is that one missed tackle or three, four?  As I kept saying in the game thread and in this one, the Bengals were not playing their best on D but the Raiders made their own mistakes, thus not taking advantage.  Saying it's "fixed" or the "lowest" tackling-mistake game of the season is simply laughable, just go watch one of the early, dominant games and tell me they were tackling better in this one.  Nobody could run on the Bengals early in the season, yet the Raiders averaged 4 yards a carry on them?  The announcers told us during the game that the Raiders were ranked 28th in rushing going in.  They also told us they had their longest run of the season against us.  Is that an improvement? 

We won't know anything until we play a team that isn't in total disarray like the Raiders are right now.

I think people forget how we were complaining about Whit getting beat by the speed type DEs early in his time at LT. 

Williams will be fine and I expect him to be one of our better LTs after Anthony, Levi, and Whit, when it's all said and done.

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

Williams is at least above average. Maybe not “great” but there’s not a whole lot of great ones out there anyhow…Whit, Trent Williams and a couple others. Whole lot of guys like Jonah out there though. Thank the spread offense at the collegiate level for that. 

Good post..

Nailed it..

No qualms if they extend his contract for 4yrs..

Williams has had good games and bad games.  Jury is still out. Hope he improves. The guy still makes pretty obvious gaffes.  Rationalize all you want, but he isn’t “good” at this point.  Hopefully he will end up being good, but every third game can’t be a stinker.  

Williams seems to get the yips a little bit during the first few series he’s out there and then settles down after that all of a sudden. If he can figure out how to get over that somehow, he could be top 15 in the league at the position, IMO. I’ll take that. Time will tell. 

Archived