Bengals at Raiders post-game thoughts/Good-Bad-Ugly

1 hour ago, spicoli said:

Williams seems to get the yips a little bit during the first few series he’s out there and then settles down after that all of a sudden. If he can figure out how to get over that somehow, he could be top 15 in the league at the position, IMO. I’ll take that. Time will tell. 

Shouldn't Pollack have corrected that by now ?

6 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Williams has been solid for the most part this year..

He seems to catch alot of flack on here because he isnt great....

In what seems to now be an annual tradition, I'm watching the line pretty closely for most games. Because I want to figure out if it's a bad piece, a bad plan... What's the deal?

9 of 10 the Center is helping the right side, so Spain and Williams are on a bit of an island. Taylor insists on running 5 wide, so Williams has to take on the leagues best athletes one on one without even a chip a LOT. That said, 4 on 4 against our line straight up? Williams will be the first guy to get beat. Unless Carman is playing.

He let's guys get into his body, he doesn't push them deep, and they either swim around, or spin inside. Burrow is constantly stepping up and avoiding blindside pressure. Williams is a bit short on the reach, and has a bad tendency to punch rather than engage. In the run game, he often gets stood up by DE's. Good PFF score aside, he's tied for 5th in the league for sacks given up.

He has impressive agility and is good in space, but he needs the strength to control his man and be effective in the run game lead blocking as a tackle. As good as he is on a sweep, he's bad on 3rd and short. This year more than last year guys are really getting into his chest and pushing him around.

He's an average NFL LT. Which is still really good. Whitworth was a pro-bowler. I don't think what I said was unfair. But he's also protecting the golden boy's blind side. 5 sacks given up in 10 games leaves plenty of room to either improve or upgrade.

4 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

In what seems to now be an annual tradition, I'm watching the line pretty closely for most games. Because I want to figure out if it's a bad piece, a bad plan... What's the deal?

9 of 10 the Center is helping the right side, so Spain and Williams are on a bit of an island. Taylor insists on running 5 wide, so Williams has to take on the leagues best athletes one on one without even a chip a LOT. That said, 4 on 4 against our line straight up? Williams will be the first guy to get beat. Unless Carman is playing.

He let's guys get into his body, he doesn't push them deep, and they either swim around, or spin inside. Burrow is constantly stepping up and avoiding blindside pressure. Williams is a bit short on the reach, and has a bad tendency to punch rather than engage. In the run game, he often gets stood up by DE's. Good PFF score aside, he's tied for 5th in the league for sacks given up.

He has impressive agility and is good in space, but he needs the strength to control his man and be effective in the run game lead blocking as a tackle. As good as he is on a sweep, he's bad on 3rd and short. This year more than last year guys are really getting into his chest and pushing him around.

He's an average NFL LT. Which is still really good. Whitworth was a pro-bowler. I don't think what I said was unfair. But he's also protecting the golden boy's blind side. 5 sacks given up in 10 games leaves plenty of room to either improve or upgrade.

Your thoughts on a contract extension?

17 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

Your thoughts on a contract extension?

You have to weigh against what's available, and what you know about the player off the field. Reading from the gospel of Cordy Glenn, "Thou shalt not underestimate the value of passable LT play".

The question isn't do I want a Ferarri, the question is do I want to pay $250K for a Ferarri. If we're paying Williams like a top LT, what else can we get for the same money and is it fast and hauls groceries?

But he's 24(?) and has a ton of upside. How does the team feel about his off the field habits? Is he going to wait for a contract year to get jacked? Did he play through an injury that limited his strength training in the offseason? He's not playing as well in 2021 as he did in 2020. Why? Like, when are we going to see some defined biceps on the guy?

See the source image

More Hungry Howie than Hulk Hogan.

See the source image
"Not today stumpy!"

If anything I expected this to be the year the light came on for him. Lots of promise. Young. 99/100 you resign him. Hopefully he picks it up in the second half of the season. Concerning that he doesn't seem to be progressing.

I missed the run back in the fumble return as a bunch of raiders fans in front of me stood up. 

but he should have scored, right?  I thought he had a clear path and then he cut into the center of the field. 

they score 7 there and it might have been very different 

7 hours ago, tibor75 said:

I missed the run back in the fumble return as a bunch of raiders fans in front of me stood up. 

but he should have scored, right?  I thought he had a clear path and then he cut into the center of the field. 

they score 7 there and it might have been very different 

Are we at the "might" stage now?..😎

3 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Dunlap and Jonah have the same arm length.

Dunlap is just 1 inch taller..

Just sayin that pictures can be deceitful sometimes....

Exactly.

Look  at Carlos's waist. Its a foot above Jonah's

and their torsos are roughly the same.

Carlos is jumping or standing on something.

5 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Dunlap and Jonah have the same arm length.

Dunlap is just 1 inch taller..

Just sayin that pictures can be deceitful sometimes....

Saw that looking for a picture of Jonah's arms and thought it was funny. I was quite high.

However.... Dunlap measured at 34.63 inches at the combine. Williams 33 5/8". (Decimals or fractions guys, make up your mind!)

Under 34" is considered short, over 34.5 is considered long. Dunlap is in the top 20% for arm length, Williams in the bottom 30%. To quote Paul Daugherty, "And so today, we worship the 7-foot wingspan of Carlos Dunlap, whose fingertips touch the tops of his knees."

19 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Saw that looking for a picture of Jonah's arms and thought it was funny. I was quite high.

However.... Dunlap measured at 34.63 inches at the combine. Williams 33 5/8". (Decimals or fractions guys, make up your mind!)

Under 34" is considered short, over 34.5 is considered long. Dunlap is in the top 20% for arm length, Williams in the bottom 30%. To quote Paul Daugherty, "And so today, we worship the 7-foot wingspan of Carlos Dunlap, whose fingertips touch the tops of his knees."

I reread where I got Dunlap's arm length

and it had as you say..

Gonna have to start wearing glasses or

maybe I was high too..😎

12 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

I reread where I got Dunlap's arm length

and it had as you say..

Gonna have to start wearing glasses or

maybe I was high too..😎

Whit had shorter arms too.... But he was a stong ol' bulldozer who could move his feet. Williams is leaner and much quicker. IMHO, right now he's too lean and guys are realizing that they can get into his body. Needs to step it up on leg day.

See the source image

7 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Whit had shorter arms too.... But he was a stong ol' bulldozer who could move his feet. Williams is leaner and much quicker. IMHO, right now he's too lean and guys are realizing that they can get into his body. Needs to step it up on leg day.

See the source image

Pollack told Williams to gain more weight for this season as he thought he was smallish for a tackle.

Willams went from 305 to 315 this year.

.You pointed out that he didnt have much muscle tone and I agree but sometimes its hidden..

Some linemen are more chisled than others....

I haven`t been too impressed by Jonah Williams either but hold out hope he is still getting better and can grow into an above average if not pro bowl tackle like Whit did. Whit was the same age as Jonah is right now when he was drafted. Jonah just turned 24 and Whit was drafted at 24. Whit has over an inch longer arm length 2 1/2 inches taller and 30 pounds heavier than Jonah by combine measurements. Going by that maybe Jonah deserves to be cut some slack as it took Whit time to become a great left tackle. Don`t think he is going to be the big brawler that Whits size helped him to be, but hope his athleticism and smarts more than make up for it.

3 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Pollack told Williams to gain more weight for this season as he thought he was smallish for a tackle.

Willams went from 305 to 315 this year.

.You pointed out that he didnt have much muscle tone and I agree but sometimes its hidden..

Some linemen are more chisled than others....

I'm just going off of his functional strength as seen on the field. I don't care that he's chiseled if he's not getting pushed back into Burrow on Sunday. 

2 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

I'm just going off of his functional strength as seen on the field. I don't care that he's chiseled if he's not getting pushed back into Burrow on Sunday. 

Yes..agree..

One thing for sure..

Cam Hayward has more than enough

functional strength..

Its a battle worth watching..

Archived